Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
dinggus
Banned

2 Xbox's on 1 network

My roommate and I are running 2 xbox's on 1 network. I don't know if it's because of my router or internet, but I drop connection or we'll lag for like 30 seconds and continue playing.

I have Comcast 20mb/s and my router is Netgear WGR614v9.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
My roommate and I are running 2 xbox's on 1 network. I don't know if it's because of my router or internet, but I drop connection or we'll lag for like 30 seconds and continue playing.

I have Comcast 20mb/s and my router is Netgear WGR614v9.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
sound like a bandwidth issue, are you able to system link via Ethernet cable and connect to xboxlive via wifi?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:20 PM   #3
dinggus
Banned

So system link 1 and wifi the other?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So system link 1 and wifi the other?
no.. I had to reread your op

But is does sound like a bandwidth issues. I had this problem too, let me dig something up

----------

Have you checked to see if both 360's are trying to connect to the router using the same IP? Might help checking in Network settings to make sure that both 360's are set to use dynamic IP's.

If for some reason you can not use dynamic IP's then you could set your both IP's to static but make sure they are both different and in the range of your router example: 192.168.1.XXX as most routers use 192.168 for their IP range.

if all else fails. use one on wifi and the other via ethernet cable
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
no.. I had to reread your op

But is does sound like a bandwidth issues. I had this problem too, let me dig something up

----------

Have you checked to see if both 360's are trying to connect to the router using the same IP? Might help checking in Network settings to make sure that both 360's are set to use dynamic IP's.

If for some reason you can not use dynamic IP's then you could set your both IP's to static but make sure they are both different and in the range of your router example: 192.168.1.XXX as most routers use 192.168 for their IP range.

if all else fails. use one on wifi and the other via ethernet cable
Thank you, I'll look tonight when I get home. Check the network settings on the Xbox, correct?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:17 AM   #6
imaketouchtheme
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to imaketouchtheme
Quote:
Thank you, I'll look tonight when I get home. Check the network settings on the Xbox, correct?
Correct.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
dinggus
Banned

I checked both xbox's and we're on different IP's. I'll try hooking mine up to the router.

Edit: Moved the xbox upstairs in my man cave, wired it to the router and we played for about an hour with no issue. Besides him saying there was some lag, but I told him I was downloading at over 1mb/s the whole time. So, thank you for the help! I wish there was a way I didn't need to have it wired though.

Last edited by dinggus; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:54 AM   #8
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:
I checked both xbox's and we're on different IP's. I'll try hooking mine up to the router.

Edit: Moved the xbox upstairs in my man cave, wired it to the router and we played for about an hour with no issue. Besides him saying there was some lag, but I told him I was downloading at over 1mb/s the whole time. So, thank you for the help! I wish there was a way I didn't need to have it wired though.
There is buy a decent router! That will solve the issue
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:55 AM   #9
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
There is buy a decent router! That will solve the issue
What would you recommend? I thought what I had was decent, lol.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:08 AM   #10
Gav2k
macrumors 601

What you have is a not frills basic pos that's rated for 54mbs and in real world rests will struggle to do 30mbs.

Have a shop around there is plenty to chose from these days. If there both newer xboxs or older with the dual antenna wifi dongle then you should be on a N band router.
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:20 AM   #11
dinggus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
What you have is a not frills basic pos that's rated for 54mbs and in real world rests will struggle to do 30mbs.

Have a shop around there is plenty to chose from these days. If there both newer xboxs or older with the dual antenna wifi dongle then you should be on a N band router.
Okay, thank you.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion