Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Photo Stream in Finder

Not sure if this is old news or not, but I was screwing around on my iPad taking some pictures. Rather than editing these photos on the iPad I jumped over to my iMac and was thinking: "I have to open iPhoto to access my Photo Stream photos to begin to edit them".

Or did I?

A quick Google and I found this:
http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/18/acces...c-os-x-finder/

Basically, the Photo Stream is stored deep in the Library folder. Just perform a search by Image and save that search. Voila! I think this is pretty neat.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2
r0k
macrumors 68040

Thanks for the tip. I wonder if this works for users who haven't purchased iPhoto for their Mac? I'm using iPhoto for now, but I'd love to create a cron job that goes in on the first of the month and grabs all my photos and copies them to my network drive. That would save me some steps in iPhoto dragging photos out and importing them (without copying them to iPhoto Library).

I have over 300 GB of photos and back when I used to keep them all in iPhoto Library it became unusable when it hit 67 GB. Now that I keep them in folders, being careful not to move them around, it never slows down.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Big Stevie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k View Post
I have over 300 GB of photos and back when I used to keep them all in iPhoto Library it became unusable when it hit 67 GB. Now that I keep them in folders, being careful not to move them around, it never slows down.
Have you considered using Aperture? Might be more useful for your large photo collection? It syncs with your existing iPhoto library.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Have you considered using Aperture? Might be more useful for your large photo collection? It syncs with your existing iPhoto library.
The problem is that Aperture uses the same iPhoto Library. If the Library doesn't work well with iPhoto, what are the chances Aperture will be any better?

Now that I'm using a "mostly empty" with all my photos stored on an external FW drive, iPhoto works "well enough" and I'm not really sure what I'd gain by spending the money to buy Aperture.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Aperture isn't much different than iPhoto though most of my problems are not with the software but more rather that I have a 5 year old iMac with a 50gb iPhoto library. It is what it is.

I am realizing the "saved search" I recommend isn't perfect. The Photo Stream photos aren't showing up too rapidly. I'll continue to explore this.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help