Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:01 AM   #1
majkom
macrumors 6502a

New mac - old dilemmas

Hi, my imac is nearing warranty end (in sth about 3 months - iMac 2011) and I consider selling it and buying new one.

After 2012 iMac introduction I was sure this time I will buy sth else cause no fussion drive option in low 21 incher, but that has changed... and now, I do not know what to do

So, my question is, is fussion drive good enough to buy imac with fussion or should I just swap iMac for mini/mb air?

I do ordinary stuff like browsing, writing docs, watching youtube, listening to music, very little photo editing... and little gaming (starcraft 2, L4D)... Bit I really want SSD like speeds... so? How fussion works for you? isnt 128 SSD within it too small??
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:46 PM   #2
majkom
macrumors 6502a

no one??
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:53 PM   #3
talmy
macrumors 68040

Fusion is a new technology and there are reported problems.

With your light use you can get SSD-like performance by 1)sleeping your Mac rather than shutting it down, and 2)leaving apps running. If you close windows (Cmd-W) rather than the application (Cmd-Q) it will appear to start instantly when you click on its icon. My iMac goes weeks without rebooting and I'll typically have 1-2 dozen apps running at a time without problems (8GB RAM). It's 3 years old now and still fast, and I run some heavy stuff on it -- FCPX, Aperture, Parallels VMs.

Just buy Applecare and keep it another 2 years.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:28 PM   #4
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Fusion is a new technology and there are reported problems.

With your light use you can get SSD-like performance by 1)sleeping your Mac rather than shutting it down, and 2)leaving apps running. If you close windows (Cmd-W) rather than the application (Cmd-Q) it will appear to start instantly when you click on its icon. My iMac goes weeks without rebooting and I'll typically have 1-2 dozen apps running at a time without problems (8GB RAM). It's 3 years old now and still fast, and I run some heavy stuff on it -- FCPX, Aperture, Parallels VMs.

Just buy Applecare and keep it another 2 years.
What exactly you mean by "reported problems"??
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:10 PM   #5
talmy
macrumors 68040

Search threads here about the problems -- "bricked" drives after reformatting attempts, problems adding BootCamp. Also read the Anandtech articles about the Fusion drive for pros and cons.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac