Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Spoiled
macrumors member

Just got my first iMac, a couple of questions.

Just got my 2012 iMac 27" with 1TB FD.

1. If I ****** something up, is there a way to get it back to factory settings? How?

2. If I wanna buy Pro Tools, how do I install it since it comes on a CD?

3. I upgraded the RAM myself, how much can I sell the two 4 GB RAMs that came with the machine for? Or should I just bin them?
Spoiled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:26 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiled View Post

1. If I ****** something up, is there a way to get it back to factory settings? How?
OS X: About OS X Recovery
How to Clean Install OS X Mountain Lion
Apple - OS X Recovery restores your Mac with a few clicks.
Hands on with Mountain Lion's OS X Recovery and Internet Recovery
Quote:
Users of Macs without optical drives can either buy an Apple USB SuperDrive (or other optical drive) or use DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc when they need access to an optical drive. There are some limitations on using Remote Disc (read the link for details).
Quote:
3. I upgraded the RAM myself, how much can I sell the two 8 GB RAMs that came with the machine for? Or should I just bin them?
I recommend you keep them, in case you run into problems with your new RAM, or if you need to take your iMac in for service.

This may be useful:
Helpful Information for Any Mac User
iMac Fast Start: The new user's guide to iMac
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:44 PM   #3
bhadrakalpa
macrumors newbie

I had the same trouble, my protools 8.0 LE disc was defect factory one and now, the marvelous compagny name AVID ask us 39$ to send a request about anything. Worst support service ever see ! I did found files on net and use my CD Key, so, you can do the same instead burning 80$ in optical drive
bhadrakalpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:

3. I upgraded the RAM myself, how much can I sell the two 4 GB RAMs that came with the machine for? Or should I just bin them?
1. But yourself an external USB drive and use the built in Time Machine to backup to the external. You can use this to completely restore, including all your data.

2. You will need to buy an external, USB optical drive. Apple sells one, but most others will also work.

3. There really is not much market for 4GB RAM any more. You would be lucky to get $20 on eBay for it. I would just keep it in a drawer as backup in case your replacement RAM fails.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:16 PM   #5
trustever
macrumors 6502

Should the OP decide to sell the 2 4GB of RAM sticks will these not fit in any 13' MBP that are currently sold with only 2 x 2GB?
In that case you could find someone else eager to buy your brand new apple original memory. Not sure still how much it could sell but I take that should be more than 20 bucks. Maybe I am totally wrong so do not take my proposal for granted.
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustever View Post
Should the OP decide to sell the 2 4GB of RAM sticks will these not fit in any 13' MBP that are currently sold with only 2 x 2GB?
In that case you could find someone else eager to buy your brand new apple original memory. Not sure still how much it could sell but I take that should be more than 20 bucks. Maybe I am totally wrong so do not take my proposal for granted.
You are correct. I misread it as him having 4GB total (2X2GB). There would be a market for 2X4GB.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
trustever
macrumors 6502

Happy Days then, I was considering selling mine if I decide to upgrade 16GB a and that could have helped a little to pay for the upgrade!
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Spoiled
macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. One more question: Which OS is running on my brand new iMac? Mountain Lion? Can't find that info anywhere...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:44 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. One more question: Which OS is running on my brand new iMac? Mountain Lion? Can't find that info anywhere...
On the Menu Bar at the top of your screen, on the left side, click:
 > About This Mac

Yes, it's running Mountain Lion.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Spoiled
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
On the Menu Bar at the top of your screen, on the left side, click:
 > About This Mac

Yes, it's running Mountain Lion.
I can't seem to find the words "mountain lion" anywhere, it just says OS X and som number.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:26 PM   #11
crovian
macrumors regular

Quote:
I can't seem to find the words "mountain lion" anywhere, it just says OS X and som number.
if you googled that 'som number' it would tell you it is indeed mountain lion
crovian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:29 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
OS X 10.8 = Mountain Lion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_os_x#Versions
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Spoiled
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crovian View Post
if you googled that 'som number' it would tell you it is indeed mountain lion
Ok, so "Mountain Lion" is just a nickname, or how come it doesn't just say that?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:53 AM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Ok, so "Mountain Lion" is just a nickname, or how come it doesn't just say that?
Yes, ML is just a nickname or "codename", as the link I posted will explain. The version is 10.8.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:12 AM   #15
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

another option for question #1 would be to download either carbon copy or superduper (i use because it's free) and make a copy of your internal harddrive to a external drive...then if you even screw up,just hold down "option" key and pick booting from external drive... then once booted,simply open super duper and copy external harddrive back to internal harddrive and reboot.

The advantage with above method...about 15 min to recovery vs hours (depending on internet speed)..i made my superduper copy of internal drive with all the programs/setting i like...makes recovery so easy!

SuperDuper
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:03 PM   #16
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom vilsack View Post
another option for question #1 would be to download either carbon copy or superduper (i use because it's free) and make a copy of your internal harddrive to a external drive...then if you even screw up,just hold down "option" key and pick booting from external drive... then once booted,simply open super duper and copy external harddrive back to internal harddrive and reboot.

The advantage with above method...about 15 min to recovery vs hours (depending on internet speed)..i made my superduper copy of internal drive with all the programs/setting i like...makes recovery so easy!

SuperDuper
Since Lion 10.7.2, you can boot to a Time Machine disk and do a full restore without downloading anything from the Internet. The SD and CCC method does have the advantage of being able to actually use the computer while it is booted from the clone.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac