Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Better be safe than sorry.
Apple might be fast and release a 6.1.1 update days after the new JB goes public and stop giving out 6.1 blobs in order to stop more devices getting jailbroken.
So update your devices to 6.1 as soon as you can and then use the latest redsnow version •redsn0w 0.9.15b3 to save its blobs.
Redsn0w will save your 6.1 blobs and submit them to Cydias server. First connect your new device and turn it on, then use redsn0w’s Extras->SHSH Blobs->New and point it at the 6.1 IPSW for your device.

Firmware ipsw's for all iphone versions can be downloaded from here:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
If you have a verizon or sprint iphone 5 you need to download the ipsw that says (5 GSM+CDMA) If you got the AT&T version you will need the ipsw listed as (5 GSM) Try not to download the wrong ipsw file:D

Here's links for ipads: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8500

And last but not least for the ipod touch: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=757

I wouldnt wait till the day the JB is released to update to 6.1 cause most likelly Apples servers will be slammed with everyone restoring, activating, pulling blobs, jailbreaking etc...
Enjoy:)

Also Tinyumbrella has been updated to support all devices on 6.1.
Just download from the link below, plug in your device and click save shsh.
http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
So 6.1 support has been confirmed?

Yes.
Planetbeing has confirmed that their untethered jailbreak works with new iOS 6.1 final firmware released by Apple today.

"iOS 6.1 appears to be vulnerable to the exploits we are planning on using. :)"

In terms of code, we have two proof of concepts that we need to merge and polish, so we will not be ready to release until that and testing.

Notably, MuscleNerd has hinted that the team might release the jailbreak on Superbowl Sunday.

----------

Iphone 5. It's on network 3

----------

A1429

Ok, then you will need the iphone 5 GSM ipsw.
Not the gsm+CDMA version.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes.
Planetbeing has confirmed that their untethered jailbreak works with new iOS 6.1 final firmware released by Apple today.

"iOS 6.1 appears to be vulnerable to the exploits we are planning on using. :)"

In terms of code, we have two proof of concepts that we need to merge and polish, so we will not be ready to release until that and testing.

Notably, MuscleNerd has hinted that the team might release the jailbreak on Superbowl Sunday.

PB said that MN suggested it,but it might not be be the case

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Better be safe than sorry.
Apple might be fast and release a 6.1.1 update days after the new JB goes public and stop giving out 6.1 blobs in order to stop more devices getting jailbroken.
So update your devices to 6.1 as soon as you can and then use the latest redsnow version •redsn0w 0.9.15b3 to save its blobs.
Redsn0w will save your 6.1 blobs and submit them to Cydias server. First connect your new device and turn it on, then use redsn0w’s Extras->SHSH Blobs->New and point it at the 6.1 IPSW for your device.

This implies that the latest release of TU won't save the 6.1 blobs. does this mean that TU is no longer required for saving the blobs?

BL.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
This is off topic but Applejuiced, I don't know why, but you are my favorite poster on this forum.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Question - you have to update to 6.1 to save its blobs?

Yes, update using itunes and have the particular 6.1 device plugged in while you use redsnow to get its blobs.

----------

This is off topic but Applejuiced, I don't know why, but you are my favorite poster on this forum.

I feel the love bro.
Thank you for that:)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Does it have to be with iTunes? Can you not save blobs from an OTA update?

You're already going to have a problem if you've done an OTA update to 6.1, as the evad3rs recommended to not update to 6.1 OTA. Best that you restore then update to 6.1 via iTunes.

BL.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Sorry if this is a regular question but why would Apple force an update of 6.1.1? I mean, you're telling us to backup the blobs , but .. I mean, it's safe once you are on 6.1.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Sorry if this is a regular question but why would Apple force an update of 6.1.1? I mean, you're telling us to backup the blobs , but .. I mean, it's safe once you are on 6.1.

It's even safer to back them up for when a downgrading solution is found.

The point of backing up blobs is as extra insurance that you'll always be able to jailbreak your device, even if you accidentally upgrade to a newer firmware.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Redsn0w refuses to work for me.

Look at it this way. They won't patch the jailbreak until after it's jailbroken, by which point Cydia will do it automatically.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Well said Applejuiced.

Also, not sure if it's currently that narrow window where they are still signing 6.0.1/6.0.2 but you might want to do the same process with those ipsw's just in case you prefer having blobs for those too, in case 6.1 is more buggy or something.

Applejuiced- are you/have you updated to 6.1 yet? I know it's safe according to jailbreakers, but I'm always apprehensive with updates these days.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Redsn0w refuses to work for me.

Look at it this way. They won't patch the jailbreak until after it's jailbroken, by which point Cydia will do it automatically.

What?

It's even safer to back them up for when a downgrading solution is found.

The point of backing up blobs is as extra insurance that you'll always be able to jailbreak your device, even if you accidentally upgrade to a newer firmware.

Okay, right - so this method is purely for people who missclick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.