Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Weird - I have 6.1 on both iPad 3 and iPhone 5.

Tiny Umbrella wouldn't save blobs, so I'll try on redsnow :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry if this is a regular question but why would Apple force an update of 6.1.1? I mean, you're telling us to backup the blobs , but .. I mean, it's safe once you are on 6.1.

Apple usually soon after a JB is out releases an updated patched firmware version to close those JB holes.
They dont force an update, they just release an update and close the shsh blob window to be able to restore to the JB firmware version.
So if you're on 6.1 or whatever version you can stay on it as long as you want. Noone will force you to update unless your phone somehow gets stuck on the apple logo and needs a restore.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Redsn0w refuses to work for me.

Look at it this way. They won't patch the jailbreak until after it's jailbroken, by which point Cydia will do it automatically.

Truth? Can I just count on Cydia to do this for me then?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Well said Applejuiced.

Also, not sure if it's currently that narrow window where they are still signing 6.0.1/6.0.2 but you might want to do the same process with those ipsw's just in case you prefer having blobs for those too, in case 6.1 is more buggy or something.

Applejuiced- are you/have you updated to 6.1 yet? I know it's safe according to jailbreakers, but I'm always apprehensive with updates these days.

Im in the process of updating all my idevices as we speak:D
Its good to save to your 6.0.2 and all firmware versions anyway cause it cant hurt but most likelly they'll be worthless since the JB will be for 6.1

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I wouldn't. With Redsn0w and Tiny Umbrella you'll be able to save the blobs locally.

I wouldnt either.
The que in cydias automatic shsh blob request is so huge with millions of idevices listed that they might not get yours in before the window of opportunity is closed.
I had some old iphone 4 models that missed a bunch of critical blob saves cause cydia didnt do them automaticly.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Apple usually soon after a JB is out releases an updated patched firmware version to close those JB holes.
They dont force an update, they just release an update and close the shsh blob window to be able to restore to the JB firmware version.
So if you're on 6.1 or whatever version you can stay on it as long as you want. Noone will force you to update unless your phone somehow gets stuck on the apple logo and needs a restore.
I see.

or install a bad package which has not been updated yet...

Bad package? From cydia? Means the iPhone would crash imminently. Sorry, bear with me here and correct me.

And last but not least, will it matter if I restore from iTunes now and update through that point or can I go and get the blobs from the OTA 6.1 update?

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Bad package? From cydia? Means the iPhone would crash imminently. Sorry, bear with me here and correct me.

There may be a time you install a tweak from Cydia that causes your phone to get stuck in an endless boot loop because it's incompatible with your phone.

At that point you would need to restore but Apple already released 6.1.1 and you never backed up your 6.1 blobs because you assumed backing up blobs is only for people who "missclick".

Last edited:

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Tiny Umbrella was just updated to 6.10.00. Which version do you have?

Yes, I used a version from their site I just downloaded so it's up to date.

I see.

And last but not least, will it matter if I restore from iTunes now and update through that point or can I go and get the blobs from the OTA 6.1 update?

Not "crash", just maybe screw up your iOS install requiring a DFU restore to rid of it.

It's nice to have blobs for these reasons if and when they find a downgrade path.

xchampx13

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
Yes, I used a version from their site I just downloaded so it's up to date.

What I had to do was turn of request SHSH from Cydia to make it work. It went through the process but didn't have the blobs when I did it with that on. I don't know if you already have that off though.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I see.

You can get the blobs any time. You can use TU now even if you're on 6.0.1 and your blobs for 6.1 will be fine and saved. Just install your 6.1 using itunes in order to be able to use those blobs if you need to later in the future.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
What I had to do was turn of request SHSH from Cydia to make it work. It went through the process but didn't have the blobs when I did it with that on. I don't know if you already have that off though.

Yea, weird.

Either way I have never used redsn0w for blobs before and actually like it better so I'll stick with that :D

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yea, weird.

Either way I have never used redsn0w for blobs before and actually like it better so I'll stick with that :D

This, plus MN taking part in the latest jailbreak sorta implies that redsn0w will be part of the next jailbreak. Would it be wise to wait until the jailbreak is released, update, then use the latest redsn0w as an AIO to jailbreak and save the blobs after the jailbreak process completes?

BL.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
The new TinyUmbrella is also updated and now works for 6.1 folks.
If you like that better or are more comfortable with redsnow its up to you.
http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
Make sure you go to advanced tab when using TU and UNCHECK the box that says "request SHSH from cydia" in order to pull your 6.1 blobs
You dont have to be on 6.1 to pull your 6.1 blobs, just plug in your device and click save shsh.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
You can get the blobs any time. You can use TU now even if you're on 6.0.1 and your blobs for 6.1 will be fine and saved. Just install your 6.1 using itunes in order to be able to use those blobs if you need to later in the future.

So there is a difference if I catch the blobs now than to catch them when I update with iTunes later?
Since I have the OTA 6.1 now.

Nevermind, I'll just restore through iTunes now.

Should I keep anything else in mind - I'm free to backup from iCloud, right?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
So there is a difference if I catch the blobs now than to catch them when I update with iTunes later?
Since I have the OTA 6.1 now.

Not really any difference.
The blobs are the same and will be saved on either form using TU or redsnow.
Its just you wont be able to use them later with an OTA 6.1 install.
Yes, you can use icloud backup or regural itunes backup. That doesnt matter.

Bkfraiders7

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
When using Tiny Umbrella, are the blobs saved locally AND to Cydia servers? I have always wondered this when saving my blobs. :eek:

I ask because I am on 6.0 and saved my blobs just now. I planned to restore to 6.1 whenever the jailbreak is released.

Thanks for all your help Applejuiced and my apologies if you have already answered this

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
When using Tiny Umbrella, are the blobs saved locally AND to Cydia servers? I have always wondered this when saving my blobs. :eek:

I ask because I am on 6.0 and saved my blobs just now. I planned to restore to 6.1 whenever the jailbreak is released.

Thanks for all your help Applejuiced and my apologies if you have already answered this

Yes, TU automaticly fowards a copy to cydias servers also.

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
To preface, BEFORE anyone jumps down my throat...

I HAVE updated to the newest TU (6.10 on OSX), and I did launch and was able to successfully save my shsh blobs for my devices... EXCEPT for one. I'm confused about this and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas...

I have 'profiles' for all of my iOS devices (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 2, ATV 2, ATV 3) showing on the left side of TU, and when I go to the 'Show All SHSH' option and click 'Save All SHSH' it backed up and grabbed blobs for all of my devices except the iPhone 4...

I show 6.1 blobs for each device, and my iPhone 4 has blobs from 4.3.5, 5.1.1, 6.0b1 through 6.0.1 but it doesn't have a 6.1 blob... when looking at the log I see:

01/28/2013 16:30:16.689 For version [iPhone4 6.1 (10B144)] - This device isn't eligible for the requested build. 01/28/2013 16:30:16.695 CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone4 6.1 (10B144) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE.

I've checked both through Cydia and also (by unchecking the box in the advanced tab) through Apple's servers and it won't grab a 6.1 blob...

Any ideas/help?

Scott1990

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
sorry im a noob at this but which firmware do i download for an iphone 5 on vodafone in the uk? gsm or gsm+cdma ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.