Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Xowi
macrumors newbie

Question Text Display

I've read a few complaint posts about how poorly text is displaying, is this a common issue or only when used with a HDTV?
Xowi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xowi View Post
I've read a few complaint posts about how poorly text is displaying, is this a common issue or only when used with a HDTV?
It's hit or miss when using the HDMI port. Using a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter does not appear to have this issue. With that said I don't have this issue on my hdmi port on my 2012 mini.
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
It's hit or miss when using the HDMI port. Using a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter does not appear to have this issue. With that said I don't have this issue on my hdmi port on my 2012 mini.
Agreed. I haven't tried the minidisplayport to HDMI adapter, but straight HDMI to HDMI port is garbage. I'm using the DVI port on my HP 2311xi and it looks great. Text is very crisp.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Sean869
macrumors member

I have used a straight HDMI cable and a MDP to HDMI cable. Both give a rubbish picture.

Im using an AOC i2353 23" IPS monitor
Sean869 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:10 PM   #5
jacky28c
macrumors newbie

I used a 3-in-1 adapter from monoprice which takes MDP and output to either DP, HDMI, or DVI.

HDMI <-> HDMI (bad color)
MDP (HDMI) <-> HDMI (bad color)
MDP (DVI) <-> HDMI (good)

I have a Samsung bx2450.
jacky28c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:26 AM   #6
Xowi
macrumors newbie

Appreciate the replies
Xowi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 AM   #7
blueroom
macrumors 603

HDTVs generally make for awful computer monitors. They're optimized for motion.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:54 AM   #8
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502

Text display on Macs generally is awful for anyone coming over from Windows. That's caused by the different way that Windows and OSX render fonts.

Windows is focused on good readability, so it nails the font to the pixel boundaries.
OSX focuses on preserving the font's overall looks and doesn't care about pixels. The result is blurry and pixelated rendering, especially of smaller font sizes.

Additionally there's the washed out colors of the Mini. Overall it's a disaster for any Windows user.
Woyzeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:29 PM   #9
iPeed
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woyzeck View Post
Text display on Macs generally is awful for anyone coming over from Windows. That's caused by the different way that Windows and OSX render fonts.

Windows is focused on good readability, so it nails the font to the pixel boundaries.
OSX focuses on preserving the font's overall looks and doesn't care about pixels. The result is blurry and pixelated rendering, especially of smaller font sizes.

Additionally there's the washed out colors of the Mini. Overall it's a disaster for any Windows user.
True!

Installed Windows 7 (bootcamp) which appears crystal clear because OSX looks terrible.
iPeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:43 PM   #10
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woyzeck View Post
Windows alters the size of the text to fit pixels. OS X displays text at the correct size, regardless of pixels. That's one of the reasons that OS X does well in the graphic design industry.

Text may display poorly on HDMI, but that's probably because it's a TV. I've never had any problem reading text on a good monitor on OS X.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:19 PM   #11
dmooreco
macrumors newbie

HDMI Port ---> HDMI Input on Samsung 24" Monitor = Terrible Font Display

HDMI Port --->DVI Converter (included with mini)---->Samsung Monitor = 1000x better.
dmooreco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:28 PM   #12
fricotin
macrumors member

It looks really bad on my VGA connected monitor, it's like night and day when I switch to Windows 7 with Parallels.

Last edited by fricotin; Feb 14, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
fricotin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:34 PM   #13
jtara
macrumors 65816

If you're doing software devlelopment, or other work where you will use a fixed-width font highly recommend installing the Inconsolata font and using it in your text editors, console, etc. Looks great on my Mini on my 10+ year old Samsung IPS monitors.

Inconsolata is weird on sizing so you have to bump it up a couple of notches. I'm using 14-point.

(I think the CFLs are close to their last legs, though, so have to start thinking about new monitors. They're cranked-up to 10 at this point...)
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:52 AM   #14
Woyzeck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Windows alters the size of the text to fit pixels. OS X displays text at the correct size, regardless of pixels. That's one of the reasons that OS X does well in the graphic design industry.
That's just not true. Many graphical artists work on PCs because if they work with fonts these render as precise on their PC as on their Mac when using graphics tools.
The difference between Mac and PC is that OSX renders *all* fonts this way, even those where readability would be more important than font looks (i.e. on the desktop). I can't see any advantage on this. It just looks awful and is definitely less readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Text may display poorly on HDMI, but that's probably because it's a TV. I've never had any problem reading text on a good monitor on OS X.
Mini's HDMI output is broken. That's not a monitor problem.
Woyzeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini