Text Display

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Xowi, Jan 29, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2012
    I've read a few complaint posts about how poorly text is displaying, is this a common issue or only when used with a HDTV?
  2. macrumors 68040

Dec 17, 2009
    It's hit or miss when using the HDMI port. Using a minidisplayport to HDMI adapter does not appear to have this issue. With that said I don't have this issue on my hdmi port on my 2012 mini.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2012
    Agreed. I haven't tried the minidisplayport to HDMI adapter, but straight HDMI to HDMI port is garbage. I'm using the DVI port on my HP 2311xi and it looks great. Text is very crisp.
  4. macrumors member

Nov 7, 2012
    Dorset, United Kingdom
    I have used a straight HDMI cable and a MDP to HDMI cable. Both give a rubbish picture.

Im using an AOC i2353 23" IPS monitor
  5. macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2012
    I used a 3-in-1 adapter from monoprice which takes MDP and output to either DP, HDMI, or DVI.

HDMI <-> HDMI (bad color)
    MDP (HDMI) <-> HDMI (bad color)
    MDP (DVI) <-> HDMI (good)

I have a Samsung bx2450.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2012
  7. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    HDTVs generally make for awful computer monitors. They're optimized for motion.
  8. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2012
    Text display on Macs generally is awful for anyone coming over from Windows. That's caused by the different way that Windows and OSX render fonts.

Windows is focused on good readability, so it nails the font to the pixel boundaries.
    OSX focuses on preserving the font's overall looks and doesn't care about pixels. The result is blurry and pixelated rendering, especially of smaller font sizes.

Additionally there's the washed out colors of the Mini. Overall it's a disaster for any Windows user.
  9. macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2012

Installed Windows 7 (bootcamp) which appears crystal clear because OSX looks terrible.
  10. macrumors 68020

Jun 15, 2012
    Windows alters the size of the text to fit pixels. OS X displays text at the correct size, regardless of pixels. That's one of the reasons that OS X does well in the graphic design industry.

Text may display poorly on HDMI, but that's probably because it's a TV. I've never had any problem reading text on a good monitor on OS X.
  11. macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2010
    HDMI Port ---> HDMI Input on Samsung 24" Monitor = Terrible Font Display

HDMI Port --->DVI Converter (included with mini)---->Samsung Monitor = 1000x better.
  12. fricotin, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico
    It looks really bad on my VGA connected monitor, it's like night and day when I switch to Windows 7 with Parallels.
  13. macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2009
    If you're doing software devlelopment, or other work where you will use a fixed-width font highly recommend installing the Inconsolata font and using it in your text editors, console, etc. Looks great on my Mini on my 10+ year old Samsung IPS monitors.

Inconsolata is weird on sizing so you have to bump it up a couple of notches. I'm using 14-point.

(I think the CFLs are close to their last legs, though, so have to start thinking about new monitors. They're cranked-up to 10 at this point...)
  14. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2012
    That's just not true. Many graphical artists work on PCs because if they work with fonts these render as precise on their PC as on their Mac when using graphics tools.
    The difference between Mac and PC is that OSX renders *all* fonts this way, even those where readability would be more important than font looks (i.e. on the desktop). I can't see any advantage on this. It just looks awful and is definitely less readable.

Mini's HDMI output is broken. That's not a monitor problem.