Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I dropped my phone and acquired a big crack on the front of the screen. It's only one crack and the screen color did not change so I believe I only need the "digitizer" which I found on eBay.

If anyone has done this would you suggest it, how difficult is the install?

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I dropped my phone and acquired a big crack on the front of the screen. It's only one crack and the screen color did not change so I believe I only need the "digitizer" which I found on eBay.

Well, it's not like the 3g/3gs where the lcd is attached to the digitizer/front with screws. On the 4s the lcd, digitizer and front glass is a one piece deal, so don't buy one of those separate glass/digitizer things. The install is quite the pain as well because the lcd assembly is about the last thing that one gets to when disassembling the phone. But nothing you can't handle if you worked on laptops and phones before.

Here's a good guide http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+4S+Display+Assembly/7277/1

Also be aware that an iphone 4 lcd assembly won't fit.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Might be cheaper (considering your time, tools, and cost for new screen) to just get an OOW replacement for $150...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think for the 4S the Apple fee is $199.
OP you need the whole 4S screen if you attempt to repair it yourself. You cant just purchase just the glass seperate from the digitizer and lcd. Its all fused in one piece.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Damn. I might as well save up for the next one with early upgrade. That's a bummer

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Sorry to hear that. Pics? Also, you can find the entire 4S display (glass, LCD, & digitizer) for less than $50 these days. Also, many repair shops do the repair for $70 to $85 (I got charged $75) with the original Foxconn made display.

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I'd say just deal with it until your next upgrade. Unless you can fix it yourself for cheap, it's not worth it, since you'd probably update in like a few months

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I am in the middle of my contract but I have two plans. I am on one with my parents I also pay for my wives so adding a line isn't too bad.

Are there really iphone repair shops?
In say chattanooga ?
It's not 200$ bad it's just annoying.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I am in the middle of my contract but I have two plans. I am on one with my parents I also pay for my wives so adding a line isn't too bad.

Are there really iphone repair shops?
In say chattanooga ?
It's not 200$ bad it's just annoying.

Try looking for shops in malls. Usually these shops are set up as kiosks (or really small shops).

$200 is too much, like I said, I got charged $75 for my screen/LCD repair. (labor and tax already factored in)

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I found icracked.com and am going to try them out. They send someone to you to fix the phone, warranty their parts and are reasonable.
They are charging me 100$ to replace my LCD, digitizer etc and they drive to me.

Ill update with how it goes.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Don't go to Apple for the repair or replacement! They are expensive.
Find a local shop or a kiosk in the mall. They will do it for $40-$60 now a days!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I found icracked.com and am going to try them out. They send someone to you to fix the phone, warranty their parts and are reasonable.
They are charging me 100$ to replace my LCD, digitizer etc and they drive to me.

Ill update with how it goes.

ive purchased both 4 and 4s screens from them. the kits come with the tools needed and are of great quality. takes about an hour to replace, while following directions on websites and videos. ive never used their repair service, but im sure they are good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.