Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:43 PM   #1
gpezzino
macrumors member

Do I lose eBay unlock if I update to 6.1?

I got my iPhone 5 unlocked through eBay. If I update to 6.1, would it revert to locked? Can anyone with an eBay unlock confirm that the unlock remains valid AFTER the update? Thanks!
gpezzino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:49 PM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Yes, unlocked iPhones stay unlocked after the update.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

It will stay unlocked no mattery how many times you restore or update your firmware.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:56 AM   #4
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpezzino View Post
I got my iPhone 5 unlocked through eBay. If I update to 6.1, would it revert to locked? Can anyone with an eBay unlock confirm that the unlock remains valid AFTER the update? Thanks!
ebay Unlocks i.e. IMEI locks are like official unlocks in Apple's server so it stays unlocked no matter what.

It could possibly be relocked if Apple decided to relock them however that hasn't happened. I can tell you though it would CERTAINLY be IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to relock it via an update if it was the IMEI unlock.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:19 AM   #5
coryskyes
macrumors newbie

yeah,i think so,It will stay unlocked no mattery how many times you restore or update your firmware.
coryskyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 AM   #6
gpezzino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
ebay Unlocks i.e. IMEI locks are like official unlocks in Apple's server so it stays unlocked no matter what.

It could possibly be relocked if Apple decided to relock them however that hasn't happened. I can tell you though it would CERTAINLY be IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to relock it via an update if it was the IMEI unlock.
I know that it used to be like that, but I read in a separate forum post that these phones are now somehow "flagged" in the system as unauthorized unlocks and that if replaced at the Apple store are replaced with locked phones.

----------

Thank you all for your replies. Can anyone actually confirm with first hand experience that they updated to 6.1 an eBay unlocked phone and it remained unlocked?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I know that it used to be like that, but I read in a separate forum post that these phones are now somehow "flagged" in the system as unauthorized unlocks and that if replaced at the Apple store are replaced with locked phones.

----------

Thank you all for your replies. Can anyone actually confirm with first hand experience that they updated to 6.1 an eBay unlocked phone and it remained unlocked?
What aren't you understanding? Once unlocked, it's unlocked for ever. Unlocks from eBay, a 3rd party reseller, or AT&T, it's unlocked for ever.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:19 AM   #8
gpezzino
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
What aren't you understanding? Once unlocked, it's unlocked for ever. Unlocks from eBay, a 3rd party reseller, or AT&T, it's unlocked for ever.
I am understanding - are you? There are suggestions that things may have changed:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post16382821

So I was just checking to see if anyone has direct experience with this. No need to be rude....
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I am understanding - are you? There are suggestions that things may have changed:

So I was just checking to see if anyone has direct experience with this. No need to be rude....
Yeah, it's unlocked for ever. Don't worry.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Nicolas4ever
macrumors 6502a

Will never relock, just update .
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:48 PM   #11
gpezzino
macrumors member

Smile Thank you

I appreciate all your feedback - I will update with less fear!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:20 PM   #12
ru4real
macrumors member

Quote:

That's not a suggestion that things have changed - in the post you linked to Apple swapped out his phone for another one. New phone = new IMEI = locked. He didn't do an update and suddenly his phone was relocked again, which is what you were asking about. These are two completely different scenarios so all the advice about not having to worry about running updates is correct.

If you get a completely different phone, like in the post your linked to, how on earth do you expect the unlock to "transfer" over?!
ru4real is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6