Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While a prediction that the next-generation iPad will be thinner and lighter than the current one may not seem an overly ambitious one, Digitimes claims to have details, suggesting that the iPad 5 will borrow the G/F2 (DITO) thin-film type touch screen technology used on the iPad mini.

ipad5.jpeg

Digitimes cited an un-named industry source as reporting that the screens would use a similar mix of suppliers to the iPad mini screen.
The supply chain for Apple's next-generation 9.7-inch iPad will be similar to the iPad mini's, with Japan-based Nitto expected to supply thin-film materials and Nissha Printing touch screen modules, noted the sources. Taiwan-based TPK will be responsible for the device's lamination while LG Display (LGD) and Sharp will provide panels.
The DITO thin-film technology is believed to have been behind supply constraints on the iPad mini, but these issues have now been solved, claims Digitimes.

Just last week, iLounge shared details on the fifth-generation iPad, noting that it would be smaller in every dimension than the current model and suggesting that a change to the display technology would be necessary to achieve that reduction.

Article Link: iPad 5 to Be 'Thinner and Lighter' Using iPad Mini Screen Technology

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Part of that "technology" they may adopt from the mini sure as hell better include retina or the mob will rage. :D

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
What else is new....?

'Thinner and Lighter'

This is the same story every month.... "The next Apple device, no matter which one we speak of will be..... WAIT FOR IT !!!!...... 'Thinner and Lighter'

We can all rest easy now, knowing what the future holds for us

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Lighter I could use, thinner though? If they do go with thinner lets just hope that they don't wreck something else (heat dissipation).

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! Who here would of thought that Apple of all companies would try to make something thinner.

blast87

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
So does that mean it wont be IGZO? When is IGZO coming, they've been talking about this technology for so long and has yet to be put into any devices

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Lighter I could use, thinner though? If they do go with thinner lets just hope that they don't wreck something else (heat dissipation).

At some point you reach too thin. Do I want a device I can bend in my hand or feels cheap? Not really. My retina MBP is thin. How much thinner do I want that?

Thin + solid is one thing. But for the most part, these things are thin and hollow. Devices need to be usable and durable too.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
i havent been keepingup to date with rumors lately but will we see a new mini or ipad in march or something?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
'Thinner and Lighter'

This is the same story every month.... "The next Apple device, no matter which one we speak of will be..... WAIT FOR IT !!!!...... 'Thinner and Lighter'

The iPad 3 & 4 went with a more bulkier, heavier design.

iPad 2: 8.8 mm thick, 601 grams weight

iPad 3/4: 9.4 mm thick, 652 grams weight

So they certainly could make the iPad 5 "thinner and lighter" - and put it back at the iPad 2's specs.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

iPad 2 thinness was the best IMO. The difference between it and the 3rd gen was small, but noticeable.

But it would take a lot to sway me from iPad mini now.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
'Thinner and Lighter'

Except for the fact that the third iPad was thicker and heaver than the iPad 2. :rolleyes:

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
'Thinner and Lighter'

However the iPad 3 was thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, just sayin!

----------

Except for the fact that the third iPad was thicker and heaver than the iPad 2. :rolleyes:

Aw man beat me to it :p

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Release in March, pretty sure. Together with iPad mini 2nd Gen.

doubt it. first we'll get an iPad 4 with 128GB next month and a iOS7 introduction somewhere around may followed by the "all new" iPad in the fall including the final iOS 7

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.