Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:59 AM   #1
clearbags24
macrumors newbie

Justify my MacBook purchase

ok so i own an ipad and i also have an old useless windows laptop that i never use. I love my ipad (3rd Gen) and i use it everyday, but i want to buy a MacBook Pro 13" with retina display. Basically because i don't know much about them i haven't bought one because i assumed that the ipad was more than enough. I need someone who has had 1st hand experience with one, to justify me buying one. all of my music, movies etc are on my desktop PC but would like to make them portable and i don't think that the ipad would be large enough to handle this. Also i travel a lot and would like to be able to take my portable HDD to watch movies via USB - I know this sounds alot like me answering my own question but would really like someone to give me all the PRO's to owning a MacBook Pro
clearbags24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:37 AM   #2
adjeff8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearbags24 View Post
ok so i own an ipad and i also have an old useless windows laptop that i never use. I love my ipad (3rd Gen) and i use it everyday, but i want to buy a MacBook Pro 13" with retina display. Basically because i don't know much about them i haven't bought one because i assumed that the ipad was more than enough. I need someone who has had 1st hand experience with one, to justify me buying one. all of my music, movies etc are on my desktop PC but would like to make them portable and i don't think that the ipad would be large enough to handle this. Also i travel a lot and would like to be able to take my portable HDD to watch movies via USB - I know this sounds alot like me answering my own question but would really like someone to give me all the PRO's to owning a MacBook Pro

First, if you're going to spend all that money you might as well buy the 15". Internally it's a much more powerful machine with a Quad core i7 processor instead of a Duel Core i5 that the 13" has. Plus it has a Discrete Graphic card that the 13" doesn't have. The base model also has 256 gigs SSD compared to the 128 SSD that the 13" has. For all that money the 13" seems to be underspecced
adjeff8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a

Why not go to an apple store and play with it in person and see if you like it, it sounds like you dont , you could also wait until haswell comes out around around june
Ricanlegend is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:59 AM   #4
clearbags24
macrumors newbie

so basically im going to be using this machine as an entertainment unit to take with me on my travels and it will probably replace my desktop PC at some stage. All i really do on all of my computers is web browsing, downloading music and movies and word process. Could the 15" MacBook Pro be a good solution to my needs?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:30 AM   #5
maflynn

Quote:
All i really do on all of my computers is web browsing, downloading music and movies and word process. Could the 15" MacBook Pro be a good solution to my needs?
yes, if you want the larger display, and for the most part an iPad can suit your needs as well (depending on how complex/indepth your word processing is
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:04 AM   #6
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
so basically im going to be using this machine as an entertainment unit to take with me on my travels and it will probably replace my desktop PC at some stage. All i really do on all of my computers is web browsing, downloading music and movies and word process. Could the 15" MacBook Pro be a good solution to my needs?
To be honest, that's overkill. I can't see a real justification for someone that just wants to do the typical web browsing and music for a $2k machine, even though it is a beauty. A 13" MBP (non-Retina), or even a MacBook Air, are both *FAR* cheaper (even more so if you buy refurb), and would just as likely handle your needs.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:15 AM   #7
swerve147
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
To be honest, that's overkill. I can't see a real justification for someone that just wants to do the typical web browsing and music for a $2k machine, even though it is a beauty. A 13" MBP (non-Retina), or even a MacBook Air, are both *FAR* cheaper (even more so if you buy refurb), and would just as likely handle your needs.
I agree, really if those are all the tasks you do with computers you can get by even with just an iPad + keyboard. Maybe add some external storage, but otherwise an iPad is capable enough of doing all of those things well enough.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:19 AM   #8
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I'd suggest the 13" Macbook Air with a hard drive upgrade. I have the 13" Air and it's perfect for light usage, but not as perfect for programming on, and running virtual machines, and the adobe suite, etc... All that is where the MBP comes into play.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Op do you have the cash or are you going to try financing it in some way?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:41 AM   #10
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
The rMBP may be overkill. Consider the MacBook Air as it is very portable and the 13" has a 1440x900 screen.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
robvas
macrumors 68000

Get the regular 13" Pro and upgrade it with a 1TB HD
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:40 AM   #12
AroundTheFur922
macrumors newbie

I am coming from a very similar situation and found that the 13" standard MBP served my needs quite adequately. I do moderate video editing and the integrated GPU and stock 5,400RPM HDD and dual core i5 are perfectly responsive so far. I can imagine this laptop would be amazing with a RAM and SSD bump and for your stated needs would be perfect.
AroundTheFur922 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:57 AM   #13
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
A retina MBP is overkill for your uses in my opinion, but that's me.

Why do you want a retina? A macbook air could easily do all that for less money... Heck a $200 netbook can playback music and movies just fine.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:36 PM   #14
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaky69 View Post
A retina MBP is overkill for your uses in my opinion, but that's me.

Why do you want a retina? A macbook air could easily do all that for less money... Heck a $200 netbook can playback music and movies just fine.
Bad part of the Air is the limited storage - he'll have to lug around an external HD everywhere he goes.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Paskell
macrumors member

IMO I would get a Mac mini if you plan for it to replace your old pc and save money yet have a powerful Mac and use your iPad for your traveling media.. I personally have a Mbp and I never use it outside of my basement.. That's overkill for just videos for travel etc think long term if you will need a desktop to if not I still think its overkill to get rmbp for your uses but that's just me
Paskell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Critical element: Exactly how much storage need? What's the size of that external HD u plan to carry?

For everybody: Can one hookup an external HD to an iPad?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:44 PM   #17
F1 Fan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
I asked a guy in my local Apple Store and he said no. I'd be interested if anyone does know a way of doing this...
F1 Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:54 PM   #18
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Critical element: Exactly how much storage need? What's the size of that external HD u plan to carry?

No, that's not possible.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:58 PM   #19
makaveli559m
macrumors 6502

You should have opted for a classic macbook pro, a high end screen with integrated graphics doesnt make it shock and awe.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
bobcan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If this is all you need it for, buy a good late 2011~2012 Refurb.. Wonderful computers for the price!!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:28 PM   #21
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
A Retina MBP is a waste of money if that's what you're using it for. Also, think of the limitations a retina MBP has in terms of storage, while the extra power it has will remain unused in your case.

You'd be better off buying a regular MBP. A refurb is a great deal. And if money's burning a hole in your wallet, load it up with extra RAM and a SSD: you'll basically get the same result.
diazj3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:06 PM   #22
clearbags24
macrumors newbie

wow thanks to everyone for your comments. I can see alot of you are saying get a standard MBP without the retina and update the HDD. I think that this is going to be the best solution for me as it would have the power to replace my desktop and it has the versatility to be mobile if need be. I download alot of movies and definatley will need my external HDD i use a 2TB WD model and its nearly 3/4 full. I have no issues carting this around with me and to my knowledge there is no easy way to send the media off this HDD to the ipad without using a laptop or buying a WIFI model that the ipad can connect to. so the previous generation MBP, i think is going to be the best option for me.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:00 PM   #23
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

I disagree. 15" rMBP is the best MB, let alone laptop, I've ever owned.

To those saying retina is overkill for you... Possibly, but... Graphic designers have designed on non retina for years so its not like its a new requirement for them to have retina. Retina, in any case, is a luxury addition that is well worth it IMO.

If you do go regular MBP route, do yourself a favor and at the very least, get an SSD if possible. Makes a world of difference.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #24
clearbags24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
I disagree. 15" rMBP is the best MB, let alone laptop, I've ever owned.

To those saying retina is overkill for you... Possibly, but... Graphic designers have designed on non retina for years so its not like its a new requirement for them to have retina. Retina, in any case, is a luxury addition that is well worth it IMO.

If you do go regular MBP route, do yourself a favor and at the very least, get an SSD if possible. Makes a world of difference.
i own an Ipad 3rd Gen, which obviously has the R display and it's awesome, do you think that i would notice the difference if i bought the standard MBP and compared the two.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:29 PM   #25
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
i own an ipad 3rd gen, which obviously has the r display and it's awesome, do you think that i would notice the difference if i bought the standard mbp and compared the two.
yes

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro