Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 9, 2005, 07:37 AM   #1
satans_banjo
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to satans_banjo Send a message via MSN to satans_banjo Send a message via Yahoo to satans_banjo
Darwin Open-Source

I just found the source code for Darwin on the Apple site. Unfortunately I can't program and i don't know where to start. Any good tweaks you can use, or am I completely out of my depth here?
satans_banjo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 09:18 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by satans_banjo
... or am I completely out of my depth here?
Yes.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 09:55 AM   #3
robbieduncan

Quote:
..., or am I completely out of my depth here?
As MisterMe said you are so far out of your depth you are drowning! Unless you have a second Mac you don't mind getting into a state you need to re-install the OS on when you break it just leave it alone!
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4
greatdevourer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I just found the source code for Darwin on the Apple site. Unfortunately I can't program and i don't know where to start. Any good tweaks you can use, or am I completely out of my depth here?
Dude, you're not just outa you're depth - you've already drowned and been eaten by the shark.

Btw, what are you planning on doing with that source? Read it? Or mod it?
greatdevourer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Josh
macrumors 68000

You are out of your depth - with cement boots on

But, fortunately for you, Vinnie and Geno decided to give you a little propeller incase you wanted to resurface and continue your life.

Meaning: There IS a way for you to get back 'into your depth.'

That way being to learn programming. Yes, it will take time, but if you really want to do this, definitely go for it.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6
satans_banjo
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to satans_banjo Send a message via MSN to satans_banjo Send a message via Yahoo to satans_banjo
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdevourer
Dude, you're not just outa you're depth - you've already drowned and been eaten by the shark.

Btw, what are you planning on doing with that source? Read it? Or mod it?
wasn't sure really - probably just read it and learn something about the way that operating systems work

i do know how to program a bit - i learn pascal for my computing A-level and i know a bit (a very small bit) of python
Old Oct 10, 2005, 02:52 AM   #7
caveman_uk

Quote:
wasn't sure really - probably just read it and learn something about the way that operating systems work
There are easier ways to learn this - for example the Tenenbaum book is supposed to be good. There's also a book that dissects one of the older (I think it was a 2.4.x version) Linux kernels. Knowing C really well is pretty much a prerequisite for this sort of thing.
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 03:01 AM   #8
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman_uk
There are easier ways to learn this - for example the Tenenbaum book is supposed to be good. There's also a book that dissects one of the older (I think it was a 2.4.x version) Linux kernels. Knowing C really well is pretty much a prerequisite for this sort of thing.
Unless he's re-written the book it wold be older than that! It was an old book when I was at Uni (96-2000). At that time 2.2.x was current. Although I didn't do the OS course it was the course text.

Ok just done a little research. I think you meant this book. I was talking about his older book.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 03:58 AM   #9
caveman_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
Unless he's re-written the book it wold be older than that! It was an old book when I was at Uni (96-2000). At that time 2.2.x was current. Although I didn't do the OS course it was the course text.
The Tenenbaum book I was refering didn't really cover Linux - it's more Minix. The Linux kernel book was by an entirely different author Link but you're right. It's for 2.2.x
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 04:07 AM   #10
risc
macrumors 68030

Quote:
What do you actually want to do with this source code?
risc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 01:03 PM   #11
satans_banjo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by risc
What do you actually want to do with this source code?
Quote:
there

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming