Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:52 AM   #1
haravikk
macrumors 65816

Setting Up an Outlook.com Exchange Account

Okay, so I recently upgraded my Hotmail.com account to use Outlook.com for e-mail (but retaining my hotmail.com address as my login for now).

However, I'm trying to set up the account to use Microsoft Exchange but I'm having trouble.

When I open the Mail, Contacts & Calendars system preferences pane I choose to add an exchange account with my hotmail.com address as e-mail and enter the correct password. The pane tries for a hotmail server but gives up and asks for more details.

So I correct my username to be my full hotmail e-mail address, and I enter "m.outlook.com" as the exchange server which is what I believe it's supposed to be. However, the preference pane just complains that there was a problem and that I should check my login details. If I continue anyway then none of the accounts that it sets up work (as if my account details were wrong).

I've tried using hotmail addresses for the exchange server but none of them seem to work (invalid address) so I expect they may have been shut down.

Anyway, I've tried trawling through Microsoft's useless support documents; I couldn't even find one that gave details of exchange setup, only one mentioning it as the preferred method but going into no further detail whatsoever. I got the "m.outlook.com" address from user questions from a search; it seems like the right address and seems to be a valid server but it just won't accept my username and password.

Has anyone else managed to set up an Outlook.com e-mail account as an Exchange account on OS X Lion (or Mountain Lion)?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:39 AM   #2
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post

Has anyone else managed to set up an Outlook.com e-mail account as an Exchange account on OS X Lion (or Mountain Lion)?
This can only be an option if Microsoft allows access to Hotmail via Exchange. Microsoft makes no mention of anything other than POP on its Live.com website.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:41 AM   #3
haravikk
macrumors 65816

I've upgraded my hotmail account to an Outlook.com one though, so I'm not sure the previous restrictions on hotmail.com should still affect it?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Last time (a couple months ago) I tried this, I found a outlook.com suport article that said Exchange is only for mobile devices. Desktop clients only have access to POP3. No IMAP and no Exchange. I recall the article said they were "considering" changing this.
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:11 PM   #5
viniciusferrao
macrumors newbie

You should use this app to get at least IMAP support with Outlook.com
http://fluentfactory.com/mboxmail/

[]'s
viniciusferrao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:55 PM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by viniciusferrao View Post
You should use this app to get at least IMAP support with Outlook.com
http://fluentfactory.com/mboxmail/

[]'s
This is an iPhone app. Because iPhone Mail does what the OP wants, your app is superfluous. The OP is trying to use the Exchange protocol on his Mac.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:19 AM   #7
haravikk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Last time (a couple months ago) I tried this, I found a outlook.com suport article that said Exchange is only for mobile devices. Desktop clients only have access to POP3. No IMAP and no Exchange. I recall the article said they were "considering" changing this.
Ah, in that case I assume it's still like that then, so it looks POP3 is still my only option then. Thanks!

Sucks a bit though, as Outlook.com has a rather annoying feature of constantly "reminding" me that an application is using POP to access my mail if I sign into it from a browser… Microsoft's support documents are also delightfully vague and inconsistent as the one I read definitely said Exchange was available and made no mention of any restrictions, but at the same time also didn't give any hints as to how to set it up

Anyway, thanks for the responses!
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:15 PM   #8
enzeneer
macrumors newbie

iOS7 supports Outlook.com

In iOS 7 on both the iPhone and iPad, I can now add a new Outlook.com account, but no such luck on Mountain Lion. I hope the support is added with Mavericks.

Ofcourse it would be great if there was a way to use personal domains within iCloud itself.
enzeneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:09 PM   #9
bradbamford
macrumors newbie

IMAP is now supported for Outlook.com
bradbamford is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion