Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
If you're not the patient type, stop reading. I have almost no knowledge of what I'm talking about so I'm asking extremely basic questions here.

I want to put an iOS app in the app store. It's not the kind of app people would want to pay for, but they deifinitely would get it if it were free. I want to do an ad based version. How much do apps get per download using ads? How do you go about getting ads on your app?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
If you're not the patient type, stop reading. I have almost no knowledge of what I'm talking about so I'm asking extremely basic questions here.

I want to put an iOS app in the app store. It's not the kind of app people would want to pay for, but they deifinitely would get it if it were free. I want to do an ad based version. How much do apps get per download using ads? How do you go about getting ads on your app?

Read this thread:

How much revenue can I get from iAd?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1022402/

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Wait, is iAd something that promotes your app, or is it something that puts ads in your app promoting other stuff?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
California
Maybe I should clarify. I want to get ads on my app. Not advertise my own app. If I submit my app to apple as free, will Apple automatically put ads on it, or do I have to talk to some other people that work with the ads?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Maybe I should clarify. I want to get ads on my app. Not advertise my own app. If I submit my app to apple as free, will Apple automatically put ads on it, or do I have to talk to some other people that work with the ads?

You have to implement iAds into your app. I have no idea how it works, but look through the documentation.

http://developer.apple.com/library/...roduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009881

To Use iAd In Your Application, You Must Join the iAd Network
Before you start adding advertising support to your application, you must first agree to the iAd Network agreement. Further, you must explicitly enable iAd for each application in iTunes Connect. As a part of the iAd Network, you control the kinds of ads that are delivered to your application.

For more information on the iAd Network, see http://developer.apple.com/iad/.

For more information in enabling iAd in your application, see iTunes Connect Developer Guide.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
In my experience, adding iAds to an app is quite easy but adding ads from other services (like Ads by Google or AdMob) is relatively difficult.

Also in my experience, you need to have millions of downloads (which seems improbable to me) to manage to actually have a revenue that does more than get you back your $100/year developer fee to Apple. Making your money back on a $1 app (you only need 140 downloads) is a lot easier.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
My experience is this: I have an ad-serving app that gets hundreds of downloads per day, it recently crossed the 600,000 downloads milestone (after over 4 years on the App Store) and I get thousands of dollars per year in ad revenue, more than enough to cover my developer fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.