Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Exvidious
macrumors newbie

Anyone else think this is stupid - no emergency alerts on AT&T

All of my Verizon and Sprint friends got the emergency alert for the Northeast Blizzard, but me and my AT&T friends did not. Regardless of what iPhone you have, anyone on AT&T can't get this option apparently but you can on every other carrier. AT&T finds a new way to piss me off everyday.
Exvidious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:20 PM   #2
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exvidious View Post
All of my Verizon and Sprint friends got the emergency alert for the Northeast Blizzard, but me and my AT&T friends did not. Regardless of what iPhone you have, anyone on AT&T can't get this option apparently but you can on every other carrier. AT&T finds a new way to piss me off everyday.
Download the Weather Channel App for free and get weather warnings regardless of carrier.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

This is God's way of telling u not to rely on a single source for your information.
Mrbobb is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:44 PM   #4
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

yea its only on CDMA carriers.
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:48 PM   #5
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

These companies exist for one reason and one reason only, Profit. If an alert will help them make more money, they will provide it, unless they are ordered to do it by the government. Of course, they actually prefer the government to order them to do that, as they can then use that as an excuse to raise your monthly bill.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:50 PM   #6
marc11
macrumors 68000

If you needed a cell phone alert to tell you the blizzard was coming you may want to check reception under the rock where you are moving because you couldn't walk ten feet without reading, talking or hearing about it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:01 PM   #7
maflynn

This is why:
No built-in weather alerts for you if you're on the AT&T LTE Network

Quote:
That headline reflects the sad truth. All Things Digital is reporting that AT&T's new LTE network can't send the highly touted weather alerts from the National Weather Service. The system, which came online last year
Looks like its a technical issue with AT&T's LTE.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
wxman2003
macrumors 65816

Of course there are others who are whining because the alarms went off early in the morning before the storm hit. That's the whole idea. To alert BEFORE the storm hits.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:13 PM   #9
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

AT&T has no emergency alerts as of yet.Im on HSPA+ and got nothing it was useful during Hurrican Sandy though
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:15 PM   #10
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Umm... What were these alerts saying? That a storm is coming or that service might be interrupted because of the storm?
If its the second, then yeah, they probably should have sent a message. But maybe they didn't think there would be any issues so they didn't.

If its just the first part, who cares? I personally wouldn't want a message for something that most people know about. Well, hopefully you knew about the storm

Just can't understand what you're getting pissed off about...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:25 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Download the Weather Channel App for free and get weather warnings regardless of carrier.
It is what I do.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

My school sends me weather alerts here in Miami.

AT&T doesn't care about us.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:43 PM   #13
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Why would anyone think it's his phone company's responsibility to check the weather for him?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

The sky is black and the highway is deserted at midday. That's your alert.^)
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:18 PM   #15
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Umm... What were these alerts saying? That a storm is coming or that service might be interrupted because of the storm?
If its the second, then yeah, they probably should have sent a message. But maybe they didn't think there would be any issues so they didn't.

If its just the first part, who cares? I personally wouldn't want a message for something that most people know about. Well, hopefully you knew about the storm

Just can't understand what you're getting pissed off about...
During Hurricane Sandy it was useful it had warned us of changed flood evacuation zones in NYC.
Also in Japan mobile phones have tsunami and/or earthquake warnings that save lives.So yeah I guess alerts are just useless
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:47 PM   #16
marc11
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
During Hurricane Sandy it was useful it had warned us of changed flood evacuation zones in NYC.
Also in Japan mobile phones have tsunami and/or earthquake warnings that save lives.So yeah I guess alerts are just useless
As for someone who lives in Japan the alerts are rare to arrive and often arrive just as the earthquake hits. Huge huge difference between warning of an earthquake or tornado where seconds matter. An alert about a blizzard which was predicted for days and on every news channel, every weather site and most every news website let alone newspapers is just useless information.

A person should be proactive and responsible for their own safety and being informed and not rely on their cell carrier to hold their hands and nanny them about such things.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:56 PM   #17
B's iPhone
macrumors member

I'm good checking the weather on my own. I definitely don't need any notifications from my service provider telling me its going to snow.

:edit:
marc11 said it way better than I did.

Last edited by B's iPhone; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Add to post
B's iPhone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:58 PM   #18
Bswartz95
macrumors 6502

Weather Underground - great push alerts. Usually arrive before the local media broadcasts the alert.
Bswartz95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:18 PM   #19
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I survived the blizzard!! But yes I agree ATT needs to adopt this seems like common sense to me.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:27 PM   #20
Exvidious
macrumors newbie

I was well aware of the storm but I just think it's wrong that I pay $200+ for a service and I don't get options other carriers do.
Exvidious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:42 PM   #21
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
I was well aware of the storm but I just think it's wrong that I pay $200+ for a service and I don't get options other carriers do.
Then you have a choice. Get an app like The Weather Channel or switch carriers.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:46 PM   #22
B's iPhone
macrumors member

Quote:
And when they do implimate it, you can quarantee that it won't be free. Someone has to pay it and the companies won't lose a cent, that'll all be passed down to the paying customers in some sort of a fee. Screw that. I have the news and the many different weather apps on my phone. I work outside for a living, weather is a big deal to me. I'd just like them to keep their fingers out of my pocket. It's getting old real quick. It's a snow storm in New England. Same as all the other years before cell phones.
B's iPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:48 PM   #23
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
With Verizon/Sprint u can't talk and surf at the same time.

That's a neener-neener for your friends. Now u can look at their eyes again.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:25 AM   #24
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
As for someone who lives in Japan the alerts are rare to arrive and often arrive just as the earthquake hits. Huge huge difference between warning of an earthquake or tornado where seconds matter. An alert about a blizzard which was predicted for days and on every news channel, every weather site and most every news website let alone newspapers is just useless information.

A person should be proactive and responsible for their own safety and being informed and not rely on their cell carrier to hold their hands and nanny them about such things.
Definitely understandable.The only point I'm making is there are good uses for the technology.It shouldn't just be thrown under the bus because some think its useless
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:17 AM   #25
flipn0tic
macrumors member

I found the alerts to be incredibly annoying so I turned them off. The sound is unbelievably loud and obnoxious. Had no idea where it was coming from the first couple times it happened. I thought the fire alarm was going off in my complex.

I also thought it was a little bit intrusive that it was automatically enabled from the getgo. At least prompt me when setting up the phone, or give the option to disable it when it does alert me.

I hate when the EBS goes off on TV and radio, don't force me to get it on my cell phone too.
flipn0tic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone