Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Jklapp
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
How high does a cMBP bounce?

When dropped from 3 ft or probably a bit more if the seller is not being totally forthcoming. We are negotiating in the $1,500-1,700 range and it has pics showing a corner chipped but no pic of the screen turned on which I have asked for.
13.3" screen, Intel Core i7 2.9Ghz, 8GB RAM, and 512GB SSD 6 months old has the USB 3 ports
Plus Windows 7, Moshi Mini HDMI adapater,
wireless Magic Mouse,
wireless US Apple Keyboard,
Apple Remote,
and second power adapter.

I think the price is reasonable and its just what I've been looking for so if it works is there anything else I can do to make sure its in good running order?
Thanks,
Jon
Jklapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Need to fully test it out - can you meet at Apple and have them test it out? You will need to setup an appointment.

What kind of SSD? stock?
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3
martinm0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
That all just sounds too iffy for me.

Apple Refurb has this model with a standard 750GB HDD for $1269. Granted you're getting some extras from the guy, but something that has been dropped I don't think will be covered by Apple warranty, so you're buying something right now that is damaged and out of warranty.

Sure, a 512GB SSD is pricey, but I think you'd do better buying the refurb and throwing in a SSD of your own (250GB SSDs are going for around $150 right now).
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
That all just sounds too iffy for me.

Apple Refurb has this model with a standard 750GB HDD for $1269. Granted you're getting some extras from the guy, but something that has been dropped I don't think will be covered by Apple warranty, so you're buying something right now that is damaged and out of warranty.

Sure, a 512GB SSD is pricey, but I think you'd do better buying the refurb and throwing in a SSD of your own (250GB SSDs are going for around $150 right now).
Truth! - Unless you can get it for sub $1500 - an laptop checks out fine.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Jklapp
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
OK, he sent a pic so it looks like its working. No way we can meet at Apple store, many states away. What would a "full test" consist of?
Thanks guys
see pic att.
Attached Images
 
Jklapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklapp View Post
OK, he sent a pic so it looks like its working. No way we can meet at Apple store, many states away. What would a "full test" consist of?
Thanks guys
see pic att.
Are you buying this through eBay? With damage there is no way I buy unless I can get my hands on it or I know the person.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Jklapp
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Yes, its Ebay. He has been on since 2007 and has 200 positive feedbacks (mostly as a seller of DVD's but also a car and a few tech items) so, with the protection of Ebay/Paypal I am not too worried about a dud. He is not even close to an Apple store.
Please, can I pull the trigger guys?
Jklapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklapp View Post
Yes, its Ebay. He has been on since 2007 and has 200 positive feedbacks (mostly as a seller of DVD's but also a car and a few tech items) so, with the protection of Ebay/Paypal I am not too worried about a dud. He is not even close to an Apple store.
Please, can I pull the trigger guys?
Good

What's the price including shipping?
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Jklapp
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
He listed it for $2,000, then $1,750 and I offered him $1,538.20 incl shipping and he hasn't countered so thats the price. I told him that after some more research I think it could drop a lot more when the new model comes out but I will stand by that offer.
Jklapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklapp View Post
He listed it for $2,000, then $1,750 and I offered him $1,538.20 incl shipping and he hasn't countered so thats the price. I told him that after some more research I think it could drop a lot more when the new model comes out but I will stand by that offer.
With all the extras sounds fair - you get windows 7 license? Or a pirated version?
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Jklapp
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Quote from listing: " I also purchased Windows 7 to dual boot this computer. I have removed the partition but I am including the DVD in case you would like to reload it. I CAN'T guarantee the license key will work a second time but I was told it will register with the computer and you can reload the OS as many times as you want."

I didn't put anything in for W7 (trying to get away from MS but I might like to have Office which is NOT incl.) so I don't really care if it works.
Jon
Jklapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklapp View Post
Quote from listing: " I also purchased Windows 7 to dual boot this computer. I have removed the partition but I am including the DVD in case you would like to reload it. I CAN'T guarantee the license key will work a second time but I was told it will register with the computer and you can reload the OS as many times as you want."

I didn't put anything in for W7 (trying to get away from MS but I might like to have Office which is NOT incl.) so I don't really care if it works.
Jon
As you stated - if it is a dud - eBay protection should help you out. Go for it! If you want it / can afford!
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Jklapp
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
OK, thank you, I really value your advice, all of you here. Of course, if its a POS I will blame you of course... :-)
I'm doing it, I will let you know of any problems so if you don't hear from me then everything went well.
Thanks again, good luck to all,
Jon
Jklapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:59 PM   #14
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklapp View Post
OK, thank you, I really value your advice, all of you here. Of course, if its a POS I will blame you of course... :-)
I'm doing it, I will let you know of any problems so if you don't hear from me then everything went well.
Thanks again, good luck to all,
Jon
Even if this is a 2012, the fall may have voided any chance of warranty. I'd probably look it over and torture test the machine. Did he describe the damage? The price is really only held up if you want the extra stuff. An SSD can be purchased for $300-500. In the Apple Store's refurbished section, the basic machine would be $1269 with 8GB of ram. It's not an exceptional deal as you seem to think. He just started out at a very high asking price.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Jklapp
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Hi Thekev, You are right, here's how I valued it:
W7= 130
mouse 30
kbd 40
remote 10
power cord 20
cMBP 1,300
total 1,530

So the SSD is basically free which makes it a decent deal if it works. How would you "torture test" it? I plan to take it to the Apple store but is there something I could do?
Thanks,
Jon

----------

Also it is 6 months old and has the USB 3.0
Jklapp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklapp View Post
Hi Thekev, You are right, here's how I valued it:
W7= 130
mouse 30
kbd 40
remote 10
power cord 20
cMBP 1,300
total 1,530

So the SSD is basically free which makes it a decent deal if it works. How would you "torture test" it? I plan to take it to the Apple store but is there something I could do?
Thanks,
Jon

----------

Also it is 6 months old and has the USB 3.0
Just take it to Apple - they can tell you about warranty / current condition of the system.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 high end cMBP w/AppleCare, how much? saturnotaku Buying Tips and Advice 2 Nov 28, 2013 08:18 AM
cMBP-15in w/ High-Res Anti-Glare-2.3 512 or 2.6 1gb? ovation802 Buying Tips and Advice 6 Mar 18, 2013 07:29 PM
cMBP high res screen (where to buy?) kensic MacBook Pro 1 Mar 17, 2013 04:39 AM
cMBP-15in w/ High-Res Anti-Glare-2.3 or 2.6? ghz ovation802 MacBook Pro 6 Mar 14, 2013 10:43 AM
High CPU temps 2012 cMBP Bootcamped in Windows 8 canadianrider MacBook Pro 6 Jun 28, 2012 12:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC