Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
When searching Google Maps (browser version, not iOS) for locations in Taipei, the street, alley, and lane numes are in Chinese. When I look at the Mastercard ATM search maps, however, their Google maps for the same areas include English translations.

From the MasterCard ATM search pages:
http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-...m-locator.html

Google-English-Taipei.jpg

But...

...here's the same area, viewed on the Google Maps site:

Google-Chinese-Taipei.jpg

I can't for the life of me figure out how to access the bi-lingual version of Google maps. There used to be an option in the upper right hand drop-down menu, but no more.

• I'm sitting in Minneapolis, so the default local language should be English (my Google account is set up for Engish too).

• Have tried both with and without logging into my Google account...no difference.

In the end, I'd like to be logged into my account, set pins on a My Places map, send the link to my iPhone 5, then save a shortcut to my home screen (Safari > Add to Home Screen) for viewing while in Taipei.

(Obviously hoping it doesn't convert back to Chinese when viewed in Taipei.)

I'm stumped. Anyone have the magic potion for this? :confused:

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I still have the option in Safari 5.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Hmmm...interesting that you have English in the drop down using Safari---it's not there when I try the same (Safari 6.0.2 on MBA running 10.6.8):

Safari_Google_Chinese.jpg

Nonetheless, the map in your example still shows street, alley, and lane names in Chinese, with the exception of only major thoroughfares. The Google map MasterCard links to converts all of them into English, which is what I'm hoping for.

Thanks for chiming in, though---you never know who might have the magic bean in their pocket. ;)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Hmmm...interesting to see the drop down item visible in Safari (odd) but not in Google's own browser (used Chrome for my screen shots).

But...the map in your example still shows street, alley, and lane names in Chinese, with the exception of only major thoroughfares. The Google map MasterCard links to converts all of them into English, which is what I'm hoping for.

Thanks for chiming in, though---you never know who might have the magic bean in their pocket. ;)

MR2ss_2013_02_11_pA3_GoogleMapsEnglish.png

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
From the endless trial an error I've done, it appears that being logged into my Google account forces Chinese to appear (and, oddly, removes the English option from the drop down menu). Doesn't matter which computer, which browser...the moment I log into my Google account, it forces Chinese.

(Already checked and yes, Account Settings > Languages > Primary is set to English-American. For extra support, I selected English-UK as my second language. Still no joy.)

Anyone have a clue why this is happening?

P.S. to simsaladimbamba: I noticed your drop down omits Weather as an option. Any idea why? That might be a hint as to what causes the menu to differ from one user to the next.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I am not logged into any Google account, but I am logged into my YouTube account, which does not seem to matter that much as it seems. My primary OS language is British English and then there is nothing else I can think except browser and OS versions.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
My hope is that someone will know what hidden setting needs to be changed on my Google account that's forcing it into Chinese on Taipei maps the moment I log in. When logging in using someone else's Google account, English appears---when logging in with mine, it's gone.

As mentioned above, my Account settings show English/American as the default language, so that can't be the solution. :::sigh:::

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.