Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:18 AM   #1
Fireball Dragon
macrumors regular

iPad mini or Kindle paperwhite

I know this has been well covered on many sites, but I just wanted to get your opinion on which you prefer as an ereader, overall?

The iPad is very convenient for short journeys, where I have the ability to quickly respond to messages and chek train times when reading. However, I still prefer the paperwhite for long reading sessions, as it is much more comfortable for my eyes.

What are your thoughts? Do you use both mini and paperwhite, or prefer a single device?
Fireball Dragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:08 AM   #2
mrschanah
macrumors newbie

I use the kindle paperwhite as it is specifically built for ebooks. Plus, the battery lasts longer on it than the ipad
mrschanah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:02 AM   #3
ditzy
macrumors 65816

If what you're looking for is an ereader and nothing else the paperwhite is the best choice. It's specifically designed to be an ereader.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad Mini, but when on a road trip I prefer my Kindle Touch as it is easier to read in the day time. The iPad has to be cranked up in brightness and typically has too much reflection to read for a long time. With the Kindle I find myself pointing it towards the light and it looks even better!
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
MVallee
macrumors 6502

I had a Kindle (the keyboard one) and it worked well for reading but I switched to my iPad (full size) and don't regret it.

I was considering getting upgrading to the paperwhite and I already had an iPad. I tried reading a few books on the iPad to see how I liked it before I bought another Kindle. I really liked it. I use the sepia theme and lower the brightness and I don't find it hurts my eyes at all. If I can look at a computer screen all day, reading for a few hours doesn't hurt. Also I really like voiceover for reading when I'm doing something boring like dishes, plus I can sync with my phone so when I'm out I have my books with me and I find I read alot more now.

I considered getting a Mini since its a bit better suited as an e-reader but I'll stick with my iPad 4 for now and see what the next generation brings.
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:45 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I have a Kindle Keyboard for reading and I love it. It is lighter, smaller, and less expensive than an iPad mini. The battery will last me about 3 weeks on a single charge.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
XR7CAT
macrumors newbie

I have an iPad mini and Kindle keyboard. Durning the day I prefer the kindle, less glare and no interruptions.

I do enjoy reading on on the iPad mini as well, but feel it is better for other media consumption.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:36 AM   #8
maflynn

I opted for the iPad mini because it offers more then just a book reader.

with that said, if your single primary goal is for a product to read then the kindle paperwhite is a superior device. I think the battery, form factor, and display quality all are better then the iPad because the kindle does one thing and one thing extremely well.

With that said for me, I chose the mini because I have a number of books from iBooks, I wanted a device to surf and email as well. So while reading is my primary purpose other usages were on my list so the mini made more sense (for me).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
poloponies
macrumors 68030

It's still pretty subjective. For example, my son wanted to replace his Kindle with the Paperwhite and I encouraged him to check out the iPad Mini. He loves it and enjoys reading on it. I've been reading on my iPads almost exclusively for 3 years and only use my Kindle at poolside. I don't share the complaints that some people have, but it's ultimately your call.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:08 PM   #10
yegon
macrumors 68000

Paperwhite does one thing extremely well, arguably best in class. Mini does same thing reasonably well plus a tonne of other stuff.

I have both, prefer reading books on PW for two reasons - kinder on my eyes and zero distractions. iPad, you're a couple of presses away from Internet, emails, games, video, podcasts. PW makes me focus.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:28 PM   #11
mostlynameless
macrumors newbie

I should've returned my Paperwhite because of screen issues, so I'm probably biased. But, I prefer the mini for most reading.

That said, the PW is nicer for outdoor reading and has awesome battery life.
mostlynameless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:01 PM   #12
ZBoater
macrumors 603

I own both, and the Paperwhite wins hands down as an ereader.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:28 PM   #13
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

As an ereader, the Paperwhite takes the cake, no contest.

If I had to choose between just one or the other, it would be the iPad mini, no contest.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

I've read countless books on my iPad mini. My paperwhite is catching dust somewhere in the apartment, no idea where.

I like my tech feeling like it's relatively recent. The paperwhite, as high tech as e-ink screens are, just feels like I'm still stuck in the last millennium. Screen refresh rates are slow, it's so hard to quickly flip through pages, even harder to scroll through your list of books.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:53 PM   #15
shyam09
macrumors 65816

I got the paperwhite as an ereader since I didn't want to carry books with me, but at the same time I kept all those ebooks on my iPad too in case I ever wanted to read them. Bottom Line: I still prefer those hard books, mainly because I flip through the pages a lot and an ereader isn't suitable for that.

I definitely use my Paperwhite when it comes to reading normally, but it has been a few weeks since I used my Paperwhite.

btw i have an iPad 3, so not exactly what you're asking, but I'm basing my response on the screen rather than the weight
shyam09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:20 PM   #16
LaurieAnn
macrumors regular

eInk is much easier on my eyes than a back lit LCD screen for book reading. I own a Kindle Touch, a Kindle Keyboard, and an iPad Mini.
LaurieAnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:59 PM   #17
koigirl
macrumors 6502

If I could only have one, it would be the iPad hands down. The Kindle is great for outdoor and beach reading. I have the Keyboard and would love a Paperwhite 3G but I think the $179 price is way too high for a dedicated e-reader in 2013. I like 3G so I can download books anywhere. I'm waiting for a price drop to upgrade to Paperwhite. If it's either/or, the iPad is way more versatile.
koigirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 PM   #18
phineas
macrumors regular

Thoughts

Granted the PW is designed more for the different lighting that a user may be in , I was thinking that maybe there was a stick on screen for any of the ipads that may help?

I know I'm on the fence about the mini and currently have the nexus 7 HSPA which for the most part is really nice.

My son has a PW and the screen for me is just too small.
phineas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad