Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerwagon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Let me preface this with the fact that I have been a long time Android user, dating back to the original Droid. I have strayed from time to time (iPhone 4 and 4s, as well as a couple blackberries and the lumia 900). Anyway, something I've noticed on each respective forums is that the iPhone crowd is absolutely top notch. I see a lot less bitching and fanboyism on the Apple side than I do with Android and especially the blackberry side. I just left the Note 2 for the iPhone 5, so I've been saturating my brain on this site for the last week or so, and I must say that I have been impressed with the level of maturity and genuine help being offered here. With Android, all I see is people trying to impress others with their knowledge, or who can be the biggest smartass. With Blackberry, it is just infuriating to see the level of fanboyism they have...they are THE WORST by far when it comes to sticking their head in the sand and turning off the common sense meter.

Anyway, please keep it up...I'm sure I'll have some questions at some point. Awesome phone by the way...I jailbroke it on day one and have yet to find anything it won't do compared to my Android...and I've found a few things it will do that I couldn't with the almighty Note 2.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In general these forums are great. A lot of users own both platforms and are open to the fact each has its perks and flaws.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm guessing that the OP didn't really want this thread moved from the iPhone section into the alternatives to iOS section giving that it's singing the praises of the more mature iPhone users! :D

moved.png

OOPS..... :eek:

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Every crowd has its fanboys, but I agree. This forum seems to be well behaved and open minded. Much more so than any Android forum or especially Blackberry forum.

I can understand why people are so intense...it's like dealing with wounded animals. While they spend their time trying to justify their phone choice, the majority of iOS users seem to spend the majority of their time enjoying their phone of choice.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Android is so complex that you get answers from all directions. And it's a really young crowd. I've been on XDA since 2007, but I try and stay away as much as possible for that reason. Arguments always break out everyday over there. They don't even really use their devices to begin with, they just slap tweak after tweak and flash different builds week after week.

Most of us here actually use our phones and tablets. Just like iPhone/iPad users use theirs.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
OP,

What I've noticed having made the switch to Android (only my iPhone, still have Apple-everything else :D) Is the Android side is more open, therefore allowing people to mod at their will. This = people trying to do things they don't know how to do = people who do what they're doing getting pissed. And they tend to leave noobs on their own, or, in the Newb section. Noobs still ask in threads they shouldn't and end up getting flamed, a lot!

So in that regard, yes. I agree. But there are a lot of really smart people that make ROMs, tweaks, add-ons, kernels, ect....that don't have time to deal with questions like: How do I flash your ROM? or, What is a Kernal? ...people need to research. Look at the jailbreak section on these forums and you'll see traces of the same mentality. Got to Apple Dev forums and you'll see the same thing.

EDIT:
Android is so complex that you get answers from all directions. And it's a really young crowd. I've been on XDA since 2007, but I try and stay away as much as possible for that reason. Arguments always break out everyday over there. They don't even really use their devices to begin with, they just slap tweak after tweak and flash different builds week after week.

Most of us here actually use our phones and tablets. Just like iPhone/iPad users use theirs.

Exactly

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
After using a very early Android phone (Droid Eris) I swore Android off because it had so many problems. Then after almost 2 years on an iPhone 4 I got curious about Android and picked up a GS3. Since then I have preferred Android for my phone needs and iOS on tablets (just my personal opinion).

Anyways my point being that both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. There are definitely irrational people defending both platforms and many people who prefer one side but see the merits of both platforms.

powerwagon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
This thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about. On any other forum there would have been bickering and name calling by now...not here however. Very mature thought out responses...I'm definitely enjoying this site. Mike007...I've seen you quite a bit over on crackberry...now those guys crack me up.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
This thread is a perfect example of what I was talking about. On any other forum there would have been bickering and name calling by now...not here however. Very mature thought out responses...I'm definitely enjoying this site. Mike007...I've seen you quite a bit over on crackberry...now those guys crack me up.

To be fair alot comes down to moderating, name calling and such will just get your posts deleted and a warning from the mods on here.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

While I do find XDA very informative, I agree about answers from all directions. Plus you have soooooo many forums and sub-forums it is hard to even know where to post of look. Also very quick to spend more time telling someone they should have searched (in a 100+ page thread) than it would have taken to just answer the question. You don't get as much of that here.

I do find Android Central to be fairly open though. There was a thread about the iPhone 5 vs some top-end Android phone and, at least the first page or two that I read, seemed very open without the jabs I had expected to see. To be honest, had the reverse happened here I don't think it would have been as "tame."

Michael

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Thats why we have IOS, Android, BB OS 10 & windows Phone 8. Theres always going to be people inter-changing, expanding the variety. Myself including.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm guessing that the OP didn't really want this thread moved from the iPhone section into the alternatives to iOS section giving that it's singing the praises of the more mature iPhone users! :D

OOPS..... :eek:

That error has been rectified ;)

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
OP: Glad you are with us. I went from a Drod to an IP4 to a GS3, then back to the IP5. One of the primary reasons is that if there is a technical question, it is usually answered quickly and efficiently here. You have to really dig and search on the Android forums. And by the way, there are a lot fewer technical questions here. Apple's stuff works really well and when there is a glitch, like it the latest IOS update for the 4S, it is fixed quickly. Android updates are few and far between.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey

Only cause we can :D

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I recently got a Note 2 to replace my iPhone 5. I was in love with that phone and enjoyed flashing custom roms. That phone was as smooth as butter and amazing. But 30 days later I went back to the iPhone 5. Now I have to sell the Note 2 quickly in order to pay the bill.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago

Yeah, that also is the modus operandi of PC fanboys. They spend more time working on their devices than they do enjoying them or using them for legitimate work.

That's why when I was younger I used to be into PCs and Linux, but as I grew up and just needed something to get through the day's assignments I went Apple.

A lot of Android fanboys point out how infinitely customizable and tweakable Android is. They point out how you can do this odd hack or this "cool" tweak and I always ask "why would I want to?"

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, that also is the modus operandi of PC fanboys. They spend more time working on their devices than they do enjoying them or using them for legitimate work.

That's why when I was younger I used to be into PCs and Linux, but as I grew up and just needed something to get through the day's assignments I went Apple.

A lot of Android fanboys point out how infinitely customizable and tweakable Android is. They point out how you can do this odd hack or this "cool" tweak and I always ask "why would I want to?"

I feel the same about some of the tweaks here. This is just my opinion.....as I dont have an iphone anymore but still try and keep up because family members still do. It seems like when I look at many of the tweaks that are out..it seems like they are the same tweaks that were out long ago. Another way to change the color of your keyboard...another way to change this...Im sure im wrong but just how it feels

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I feel the same about some of the tweaks here. This is just my opinion.....as I dont have an iphone anymore but still try and keep up because family members still do. It seems like when I look at many of the tweaks that are out..it seems like they are the same tweaks that were out long ago. Another way to change the color of your keyboard...another way to change this...Im sure im wrong but just how it feels

No, that's correct also. That is why I don't jailbreak my device and get into that whole world. In all honesty, once Jailbroken you can pretty much control everything on the OS like in Android and the lines kind of blur in that you can do all the same useless hacks, tweaks, etc. on both platforms.

Most people who talk about Android being infinitely customizable fail to mention that your device has to be rooted for all the best stuff (their version of Jailbreaking). In all honesty, both platforms are equally customizable if you are willing to root/Jailbreak. So that argument is out the window.

But again, why would anyone want to?

I mean sure I can understand some people like it as a hobby and that's fine. But normal people who just want to enjoy life don't really need any of that stuff.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
You couldn't be more wrong.

There are so many blind "sheeple" that use apple products and will defend apple to their death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.