Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Got a call from my daughter away at college tonight and she says the power button on the iphone 5 she received this past Christmas no longer works, luckily it's stuck in the on position! Any thoughts or idea's in fixing it? I had bought the phone from Verizon but I'm not sure if she needs to take it back to a Verizon store or an Apple store. It's only 2 months or so old. Thanks for any help.

Casey55

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
My brother had problems with the power button on his phone. Verizon will send you either a new one or refurbished (you don't get to pick). Replacement will be sent out, no replacements done in store.

Apple will replace from store stock, if you go there.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Took my wife's iPhone 5 in with the same problem to the Apple Store and they replaced it, no questions asked.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If its convenient I'd much rather deal with the Apple store than the average carrier store. You'll walk out with a replacement without a problem but be sure to make an appointment online ahead of time for the genius bar.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Been there, done that.

my perfect launch day iphone 5 had this problem happen just last month... so what's that? 3-4 months out of it before a major hardware defect...?

QC is slipping...

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the help. Sounds like I'll make her an appointment with a local Apple store.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Um, do you really need to ask what to do in order to fix it? TAKE IT BACK TO APPLE!

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, the short answer is take it to Apple. don't deal with VZW if you can avoid it. Apple will swap the device out on the spot. Verizon... well, who knows what they'll do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.