Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid circulating rumors of a larger display for the iPhone, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek today reported that he does not see the device launching until mid-2014. Misek argues that problems with display yield and substantial other changes for the iPhone 6 will make a 2013 launch unlikely. Some rumors had suggested that Apple might be able to launch an iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone in mid-2013 and follow with a larger iPhone as soon as late this year.
We see three possible bottlenecks for the iPhone that could contribute to lower yields (and hence higher costs) and/or a delayed launch.

- App processor production at 20nm. Apple's current iPhone app processor is on 32nm. For the iPhone 6 we think Apple will likely skip over 28nm and go to 20nm to facilitate adding more cores (4 or even 8). While TSMC is targeting a 2014 ramp in its 20nm production we think that issues like double patterning could make it a more complicated transition than the 28nm ramp, which had its own substantial ramp and yield issues.

- Display shifting from in-cell LCD to on-cell OLED or IGZO. We think in- cell is having difficulty ramping to 4.8", which is making Apple look at switching to on-cell (a different integrated touchscreen technology) and OLED (despite Apple's suppliers being well behind Samsung in their OLED capabilities) or IGZO.

- Revamped OS. We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung. Also, we believe the way iOS interoperates with iCloud, gestures controls, and advertising will be substantially upgraded.
Misek first noted the existence of 4.8-inch iPhone prototypes in December, but last month indicated that he was seeing no further signs of the device. The larger iPhone appears to have now returned to his radar but with a longer time horizon than originally thought.

jefferies_apple_roadmap_feb13.jpg
Overall, Misek sees his claimed television product event coming next month with the iPhone 5S and lower-cost iPhone following in the June/July timeframe. He does not see any iPad updates until the fall, when both the full-size iPad and the iPad mini would be updated around the same time as the launch of the Apple television set.

Misek's track record is, however, rather mixed with previous claims of an Apple competitor to Netflix not panning out and only being half correct about the iPhone coming to Sprint and T-Mobile in 2011.

Article Link: Apple's 4.8-Inch iPhone 6 Reportedly Not Launching Until Mid-2014

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I wonder if analysts ever get cramps in their arms from throwing all this #$&*@ against the wall to see what sticks. :rolleyes:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Releasing a separate giant iPhone would be one thing, but I sure hope it doesn't completely replaces the standard iPhone.

There would literally be no flagship smartphone on the market you could easily use single-handed. :eek:

Do great usability and high-end specs really have to be mutually exclusive?

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
Wow I am sure the Samsung Galaxy S Note SuperNova 5, that has an 8 inch screen and missile-firing capabilities, will be out by then :eek:

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
I can't understand why they would jump to 4.8"
4 generations on 3.5"
and only two on 4" that would be very disappointing... :(
Hope devs will keep on developing for 4" then

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
I look at this guys product launches and have to question his accuracy. He expects an iTV event in March, followed by an iPhone 5S (big whoop) and that tides us over until the fall where we get revamped iPads?

That would be a very soft year for Apple. Not buying it at this point.

web500sjc

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
interesting that he has the iphone being moved back to the June product slot...

my question is, What product will be launched in the spring? -that used to be the ipads domain- but now that is up in the air.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Smartphone screen size has hit a plateau.

Been discussing with friends who've been using android, the sweet spot from them is below 5 inch and above 4.2...

So apple could really take their time to develop bigger screen phone.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.

You know Ive is working on iOS and the new 'look' for it. Don't be surprised to see that as a 'big' release later this spring.

----------

Smartphone screen size has hit a plateau.

Been discussing with friends who've been using android, the sweet spot from them is below 5 inch and above 4.2...

So apple could really take their time to develop bigger screen phone.

4.6 is the sweet spot. Said that a while back. Apple should move up to that and no bigger.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
hmm launch of ios7 and iPhone 6 (4.8 inch screen) coincide with each other sounds about right

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I look at this guys product launches and have to question his accuracy. He expects an iTV event in March, followed by an iPhone 5S (big whoop) and that tides us over until the fall where we get revamped iPads?

That would be a very soft year for Apple. Not buying it at this point.

Agreed. iPhone 5s in spring, iPhone 6 (with 4.6" screen or bigger).

I think iPad Mini Retina comes in spring also.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I can honestly say if Apple comes out with 4.8" screen I will not be buying it. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and 4.8" is just too big. The iPhone 5 is a pretty decent size. I have no need for a mini iPad Mini. It's just too much.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Thumbs will be longer in 2014

So with this on the heels of Apple's iPhone 5 logic, I can expect my thumb to be an inch or two longer in 2014???

:D:D:D

ccmovies

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Boston
Wait, since a new version of iOS usually launches along side a new iPhone, maybe we'll see a sneak peak and a developer release during the rumored TV media even in March. Right?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Em. Hasn't it always made sense that the iPhone 6 will come in 2014, instead of supposedly launching up to 3 different iPhones with multiple screen sizes (iPhone 5S, low-cost iPhone with possibly larger or smaller screen, and larger iPhone 6) this year?

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
I wonder who dreams up these comments...

"We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung."

iOS is already heavily multi-threaded as are most of the apps I write thanks to GCD making it brain dead simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.