Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Grrrr..sick again

So about 3 weeks or so ago I was sick with the flu, and that eventually turned into a rather severe case of pneumonia. I ended up missing about a week and two days total of work because of that. In part because I didn't want to spread my germs around, and also because I had a fever of close to 103 for about 3-4 days straight and there was no way Id be able to do my work accurately like that.

Now, one of the people I share an office with is sick, seems like something entirely different from what I had (possibly strep throat although the guy refuses to go to the doctor) and has been coming into work every day since he fell ill last Friday...guy looks like hell and clearly is very sick..

Now it looks like Im sick with whatever this guy has...fever, sore throat...the works..this means it has pretty much been an entire month that I have been sick.

People, if you are sick, stay home...there is nothing admirable, manly, or "tough guy" about coming into work sick...its actually pretty ****ing selfish.
glocke12 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:06 PM   #2
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
quit washing your hands
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
cambookpro
macrumors 601
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
People, if you are sick, stay home...there is nothing admirable, manly, or "tough guy" about coming into work sick...its actually pretty ****ing selfish.
I agree wholeheartedly with this!!!

People who think they mustn't miss a minute of work or school because of a cold or flu need to readjust their priorities. Get better, take a few days off, then come back! I don't want ya germs!
__________________
MacBook Pro | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air | Apple TV
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
That sucks and is really poor management at the place you work. Someone gets sick here and they are getting sent to the house for the day.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Some places if you don't come to work you don't get paid! I hate all the sick people coughing and spluttering everywhere. If I catch a cold it also causes an underlying condition I have where I get maybe 50 mouth ulcers. One guy even thought it was funny to use my mouth and keyboard to see if he could get me to catch his condition.
__________________
iMac 21.5 2013, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad 2/4/Air Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 2.8/24-70 2.8/14-24 2.8/60 Macro 2.8/10.5 Fish eye 2.8
Apple fanboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
People, if you are sick, stay home...there is nothing admirable, manly, or "tough guy" about coming into work sick...its actually pretty ****ing selfish.
The problem is many people don't have sick time, or its frowned upon for them to take sick time. Heck, I have to hoard my PTO time, because when my kids are sick.

If I took my sick time for me, and then all of sudden my kids wakes up with a stomach bug, I'll have to take the day off w/o pay.

Sorry but not all cases of people going to work sick are selfish.

Do you know many restaurants particularly the fast food kind don't offer sick time, so those poor souls have to trudge into work sick and make your food, or not get paid. So while you can catch a cold from the subway, or the office, you may get it just by grabbing a sandwich at your local deli or something.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:57 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
The problem is many people don't have sick time, or its frowned upon for them to take sick time. Heck, I have to hoard my PTO time, because when my kids are sick.

If I took my sick time for me, and then all of sudden my kids wakes up with a stomach bug, I'll have to take the day off w/o pay.

Sorry but not all cases of people going to work sick are selfish.

Do you know many restaurants particularly the fast food kind don't offer sick time, so those poor souls have to trudge into work sick and make your food, or not get paid. So while you can catch a cold from the subway, or the office, you may get it just by grabbing a sandwich at your local deli or something.
Sadly this is sometimes the case.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:31 PM   #8
glocke12
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
The problem is many people don't have sick time, or its frowned upon for them to take sick time. Heck, I have to hoard my PTO time, because when my kids are sick.

If I took my sick time for me, and then all of sudden my kids wakes up with a stomach bug, I'll have to take the day off w/o pay.

Sorry but not all cases of people going to work sick are selfish.

Do you know many restaurants particularly the fast food kind don't offer sick time, so those poor souls have to trudge into work sick and make your food, or not get paid. So while you can catch a cold from the subway, or the office, you may get it just by grabbing a sandwich at your local deli or something.

than save up money in a rainy day fund so you can plan for emergencies.

the ironic thing about all this is that this guy who came in and spread his germs around has done nothing in work except read scientific journals..stuff he could do at home.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:58 PM   #9
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
than save up money in a rainy day fund so you can plan for emergencies.
Not as easy as that. I do actually agree with you, about sick people staying home. But some people just don't have that option. If you are working a minimum wage job, there is no room to 'save' in most cases.

The real solution is to ensure that all employees get a minimal level of sick days. Most people don't use up all their sick days, though of course there are few that abuse it. But most people have some days left at the end of the year so it does not cost end up costing the company much.

With your company's policy you personally are subsidizing the company now. The company couldn't be bothered to pay for your co-workers sick days, so now you are out the money and not the company. And in fact the company is saving your salary as well, plus I'm sure some poor schlub is working extra hours to do your work with no or little pay.

No, the villain in this case is not your co-worker but the cheap company that doesn't want to spend the money to keep them at home.

But you can ignore me... I'm a closet socialist.....
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:05 PM   #10
glocke12
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
No, the villain in this case is not your co-worker but the cheap company that doesn't want to spend the money to keep them at home.

But you can ignore me... I'm a closet socialist.....
We are all salaried employees....PTO is already factored in, and as far as I know we don't even have a set number of sick days..bottom line, guy is an ******* for coming in to work in the shape he was in.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:13 PM   #11
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
We are all salaried employees....PTO is already factored in, and as far as I know we don't even have a set number of sick days..bottom line, guy is an ******* for coming in to work in the shape he was in.
In that case, you are totally right. And management should have tossed his sick butt out the door.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:53 PM   #12
waloshin
macrumors 68030
 
waloshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: in my world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
quit washing your hands
Washing your hands is the best way to prevent disease and sickness.
__________________
Phantom Vision 2 Plus drone review
Nikon Film Cinematography site
2011 Mac Mini 2.3 Ghz 16 Gb Ram SSD
waloshin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #13
designs216
macrumors 65816
 
designs216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Down the rabbit hole
I don't think it's my office mates who get me sick but rather my kids bringing bugs home. And I always take the day if I need to, that's what they're for, right?
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:26 PM   #14
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
Washing your hands is the best way to prevent disease and sickness.
And to have a weak immune system so every little thing you come in contact with makes you sick. I'm a proponent of germ theory.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:34 PM   #15
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
And to have a weak immune system so every little thing you come in contact with makes you sick. I'm a proponent of germ theory.
Now you are just being provocative.

Washing your hands is always good practice. Using anti-bacterial products on everything is not.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:36 PM   #16
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Now you are just being provocative.

Washing your hands is always good practice. Using anti-bacterial products on everything is not.
Well yeah I mean if you get your hands like actually filthy or something. But I think unless you go do #2, or get some sort of raw meat on your hands, you probably don't need to wash your hands that day.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:49 PM   #17
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Well yeah I mean if you get your hands like actually filthy or something. But I think unless you go do #2, or get some sort of raw meat on your hands, you probably don't need to wash your hands that day.
Still being provocative, eh?

What about other people's #2s? They leave it behind on stuff, you get it on your hands and then you touch something that you put in your mouth or you scratch or nose or your eye.... It's not your own germs that'll get you, it's the germs that other people leave behind.

Look up c. difficile ... nasty stuff... left behind by others.... picked up by touching things with your hands and then, well, not washing them before you touch your face or something you put in your mouth.

Washing your hands is still the single best thing to do to stay healthy....
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:01 PM   #18
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Still being provocative, eh?

What about other people's #2s? They leave it behind on stuff, you get it on your hands and then you touch something that you put in your mouth or you scratch or nose or your eye.... It's not your own germs that'll get you, it's the germs that other people leave behind.

Look up c. difficile ... nasty stuff... left behind by others.... picked up by touching things with your hands and then, well, not washing them before you touch your face or something you put in your mouth.

Washing your hands is still the single best thing to do to stay healthy....
No, I'm not being provocative.

And washing your hands is fine, but just doing it to be doing it, or because you got a little bit of dirt is silly.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:40 AM   #19
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
No, I'm not being provocative.

And washing your hands is fine, but just doing it to be doing it, or because you got a little bit of dirt is silly.
I think I read about 8 times a day is about right. I wash my hands frequently if I've been out in public. Less so if I'm in the house.

Don't forget you can't the germs you pick up. Also keep in mind that the germs on your hands may get passed on to somebody else from something you've touched.

My wife at one point was on a medication that wiped out most of her white blood cells... so germs I brought into the house could have caused her great illness. The germs on your hands may be part of chain from someone with a serious infection to someone who can't fight that infection. It is not your fault if you form a link in that chain just because those germs spent some time on your hands... but wouldn't it be nice to think that if you had washed your hands that afternoon you broke that particular chain.

Or do libertarians not worry about such things?
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:47 AM   #20
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
I think I read about 8 times a day is about right. I wash my hands frequently if I've been out in public. Less so if I'm in the house.
Why? There's probably just as many germs, bacteria, etc in your house as there are in public places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Don't forget you can't the germs you pick up. Also keep in mind that the germs on your hands may get passed on to somebody else from something you've touched.
Well if they are washing their hands 45 times per day it shouldn't be a problem then should it?

Or are you saying that all of this is a waste of time and you're going to get sick anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
My wife at one point was on a medication that wiped out most of her white blood cells... so germs I brought into the house could have caused her great illness. The germs on your hands may be part of chain from someone with a serious infection to someone who can't fight that infection. It is not your fault if you form a link in that chain just because those germs spent some time on your hands... but wouldn't it be nice to think that if you had washed your hands that afternoon you broke that particular chain.
But I'm not in close, or daily contact with your wife, and she can't avoid all germs, regardless of whether or not she would interact with me specifically. So that's kind of a silly point to make. If you have a serious infection, doctors don't tell you to pray that other people are clean.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:57 AM   #21
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Why? There's probably just as many germs, bacteria, etc in your house as there are in public places.
No, there are not. Plus, we are very unlikely to have a super bug or c difficile hanging around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post

...
But I'm not in close, or daily contact with your wife...
You're being provocative again by being deliberately obtuse. Or you slept through the class on analogies.

It's OK... there is a certain satisfaction knowing you are ingesting other people's #2 several times a day.
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:06 AM   #22
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
No, there are not. Plus, we are very unlikely to have a super bug or c difficile hanging around.
You wouldn't know either way.

Germs thrive in temperate climates, especially where moisture can be trapped and away from outside elements.

And you are ignoring the fact that living too clean has it's own host of health problems, including severe allergic reactions, and problems associated with resistance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
You're being provocative again by being deliberately obtuse.
3rd time you've said it. 3rd time it's been incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Or you slept through the class on analogies.
You didn't make a good analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
It's OK... there is a certain satisfaction knowing you are ingesting other people's #2 several times a day.
Have you ever farted? Do you not know that people fart around you? Does your poop smell?

Guess what, you just inhaled fecal particles into your nostrils.

So yeah, not really a big deal considering you're practically swimming in it.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
...
Next time throw him/her a face mask in their desk w/ a note or tell him/her to wear it if they want to be at work (better than nothing)


Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
quit washing your hands
Quit saying that, wash your hands people. Unless you are 5 years old you should wash your hands daily.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:36 AM   #24
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
Quit saying that, wash your hands people. Unless you are 5 years old you should wash your hands daily.
It's unnecessary. Why would you not wash your hands if you're 5 or under?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:28 PM   #25
snberk103
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: An Island in the Salish Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
You wouldn't know either way.
I do know that we have fewer germs in our house than in public. And I do know we have less likelihood of having a truly nasty germ. But I also know that we have our fair share of ordinary germs, and I don't worry about those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
...
And you are ignoring the fact that living too clean has it's own host of health problems, including severe allergic reactions, and problems associated with resistance.
Nope, not ignoring that at all. We don't obsess about keeping our house antiseptic... we have, enjoy, and embrace our crop of household germs.

However we are also not ignoring that there are exotic germs out there as well that the human body is not adapted to cope with. So we take reasonable precautions - like washing our hands - to minimize the risk, and count on our immune system to deal with any that sneak past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post

3rd time you've said it. 3rd time it's been incorrect.
You yourself have said in other threads that you will take contrary views solely for the sake of argument. That is being 'provocative' in other words. Though I predict you will respond with the knee-jerk "no it's not" to move this discussion into semantics. While you may claim that we can't hold you to points of view that you have taken in other threads, you can't as easily duck away from taking contrary views deliberately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post

You didn't make a good analogy
It was a fine analogy. Sorry you missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Have you ever farted? Do you not know that people fart around you? Does your poop smell?
Yep. And yep. I also put on the fan to minimize the effects and side-effects. I also wash my hands after pooping. And I try not shake hands with people I know have just pooped until they have washed their hands.

It's called taking reasonable steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Guess what, you just inhaled fecal particles into your nostrils.
And.... ? So what? Poop molecules in my lungs are not easily passed on to everybody I meet and everything I touch. Poop molecules in the air are also not concentrated enough to very dangerous.

But you go ahead - carry on ... I'm not your mother ...
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
snberk103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I a sick puppy? jimbo1mcm Wasteland 10 Oct 1, 2013 04:42 AM
iPhone 5 vibrating through earpiece. Grrrr. Kelli227 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Jan 15, 2013 03:11 PM
Sick of Itunes 11 fatalle Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Dec 30, 2012 11:24 PM
sick of waiting!!! prism iMac 65 Sep 16, 2012 08:31 AM
iMac 7,1 getting really sick tinmancactus iMac 3 Jun 23, 2012 05:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC