Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Washac
macrumors 65816

Gothic 1 and 2 Wineskins ?

Anybody know where I can get Wine wrappers for GOGs Gothic 1 and 2 ?

I tried the ones on The Porting Teams site, which are Crossover wrappers, I hate that program I never did get anything running under it. The wrappers after placing the program just keep telling me no program installed. I assume this is due to using the GOG versions.

Also tried doing a wrapper myself for Gothic 1 using guidelines posted on The Porting Teams site, could'nt get that working either

Last edited by Washac; Feb 16, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Washac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Washac
macrumors 65816

Found this.

Seems OK for me for the short time I have used it.

SIte to get it from - http://www.paulthetall.com/mac-rpg-games.html

Scroll down choose Gothic > Download > Download now > scroll down choose Slow Download well unless you want to pay that is.

Once downloaded install Gothic into the Wineskin, once installed right click the Gothic icon > Open package > Double click Wineskin Icon > Open Advanced > Browse > drive_c > program files > GoG.com > gothic > system > click on GOTHIC.EXE > choose > Close Wineskin - Play Game.

You may want to play around with screen resolutions etc but at leat it gets the game going.

His Gothic 2 wrapper works also but it needs some wine wrapper tweaking which I do not know enough about to iron out the niggles.

Have fun
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Renzatic
macrumors 604

I'm not sure if WINE for OSX is the same thing, but I've had Gothic 1 up and running in Linux perfectly before.

I didn't use a wrapper or any of the prepackaged dealies. Rather, I set up a virtual environment, ported some native .dlls over from Windows, gave Gothic it's own profile, and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked until I managed to get everything working. It wasn't the easiest experience in the world, but it is doable.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:04 PM   #4
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

This is what I found to help set up Gothic on Wine (can't remember where I found it):

btw, if you wanna use Wineskin (for Lion users):
Make a Wrapper with W8Wine1.2.3.
winetricks directmusic

Then you need to do some config edits.
The GOTHIC.INI is “system” inside the “Gothic” folder.
Change to there values:
scaleVideos=0
--

playLogoVideos=0
disallowVideoInput=0
--

zVidDevice=0
; ... index of graphic-device beginning with zero.

zVidResFullscreenX=1440
zVidResFullscreenY=900
zVidResFullscreenBPP=32
(set your res here)

zStartupWindowed=0

Setting up Wine is easy! After you play around and fail miserably a couple of times. Once you have to start doing "Winetricks" stuff, I'm useless. But when it works, yee-haw!
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Washac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscheese View Post
This is what I found to help set up Gothic on Wine (can't remember where I found it):

btw, if you wanna use Wineskin (for Lion users):
Make a Wrapper with W8Wine1.2.3.
winetricks directmusic

Then you need to do some config edits.
The GOTHIC.INI is “system” inside the “Gothic” folder.
Change to there values:
scaleVideos=0
--

playLogoVideos=0
disallowVideoInput=0
--

zVidDevice=0
; ... index of graphic-device beginning with zero.

zVidResFullscreenX=1440
zVidResFullscreenY=900
zVidResFullscreenBPP=32
(set your res here)

zStartupWindowed=0

Setting up Wine is easy! After you play around and fail miserably a couple of times. Once you have to start doing "Winetricks" stuff, I'm useless. But when it works, yee-haw!

I tried this and could not get it working.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
I tried this and could not get it working.
I think I know your pain. The first coupla' times I tried using Wine, I was there, like, WTF?

Later on, after blowing a couple of hours, I realized it was simpler than I had thought. However, it still is a pretty complex tool. Play around with it, is all I can suggest.

By the way, how are you enjoying the game?
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Washac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscheese View Post
I think I know your pain. The first coupla' times I tried using Wine, I was there, like, WTF?

Later on, after blowing a couple of hours, I realized it was simpler than I had thought. However, it still is a pretty complex tool. Play around with it, is all I can suggest.

By the way, how are you enjoying the game?
I only played the first little bit upto where you meet the two hunters, the controls sure are a pain, wish I could use a controller for it which is where the gamer came from in the first place. Thing is at the moment I just got Oblivion up and running in Bootcamp and in Cluthz wrapper from The Porting Teams site, I have gotten back into that after a long break from playing it on the PS3.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games