Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thicker and heavier for larger battery?

• Yes

Votes: 67 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I feel that the iphone 5 without a case is almost too thin and light. I think they should have kept same as 4s thickness and stuck a larger battery in it.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Aww-Yeah-meme.png :D:apple:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
What's the consensus on this? For me, I'd have to say yes.

It doesn't matter what we think, Apple is not monitoring this site for ideas how to make their next phone.

Me, NO, but because am a light user. No one size fits all. Unfortunately Apple is not about to make an iPhone Maxi, although the iPad-mini may have broken the mold. Stay tuned.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Yes, without any hesitation whatsoever. Until we see a breakthrough in battery technology, we'll need to compromise a bit in order to get higher capacity batteries in our devices.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
The battery is amazing already, lasts for 9-10 hours when I'm out and about. It got to 12 hours with 10 percent remaining, haven't done much today though. Anyway I would definitely trade a few mm for a larger battery.

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
I always end a day of games spotify and wireless tethering with at least 30% and I don't get good service at school so my phone is always searching for signal. (When I say "end the day" I mean going to sleep around 11 or 12)

I don't see a need for a larger battery if I had to sacrifice something else. I am not using it while I am sleeping, so it might as well be charging. For this reason, I don't think we will ever see batteries lasting a week or more. There is just no need. If technology even evolved that far, then they would just use it to make the batteries smaller to make room for more memory or to make the phone smaller.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I don't need a 15 hour battery although that will be nice.

I rather have Apple implement wireless charging or something. I'm never going to use my phone for that long to warrant that much battery life.

Usually I charge it every night.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Nah, the battery life is great, and as long as I can get through any day then I'm content. The thinness and weight really set this phone apart, and I charge my phone every night anyways.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
My battery is perfect. I have plenty left at the end of the day. The battery is perfect for it's size. Now if you are talking about a bigger screen in the future, then current battery will not do.

AeroSatan

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
NYC
In A Nano Second

The Iphone 5 has by far the worst battery life of almost any phone I've ever had, save for maybe the very first 4G LTE phones that came out. You have to have the screen at 15% brightness with wifi, Bluetooth, Location Services and GPS turned off to have a decent battery life. It's not just my phone, it's all my friends Iphones 5's as well.

It takes a real delusional Apple Fanboy/girl to think otherwise.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
I have an iPhone 4 and I usually have enough battery to end the day with some battery left. I guess more battery life would be nice, but adding 2mm onto the 5 would bring it back to the 4's thickness.

50g is a lot when you consider the current weight of the phone, but I suppose it'd be worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.