Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
theuserjohnny
macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that thinks the iWatch is a marketing move

I honestly think that Apple is just saying they're making one so that others such as Samsung and Sony and everyone else can follow suit and focus on making an iWatch but in reality Apple is really not interested to pursue it.

Lets be honest the industry is a "wait and see what Apple dose" and maybe Apple is using it to their advantage. If they trick company's into thinking they're making an iWatch they can get them to put work and effort into making an device that won't ever come out.

This then gives Apple a coverup to work on more important things such as the TV and improving existing products.

Like honestly an iWatch exists... just buy that add on for the iPod shuffle and it'll already do what you want? Sure it won't count calories and do stuff like those fitness watches but I mean there could just be an App for that.

I just think Apple would rather work on other things than put work toward an iWatch.
Google Nexus 4 16GB
theuserjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Apple has a knack for grabbing headlines, and convincing people to buy their products. Characteristics that comprise a good big box, retail operation.

The somewhat gimmicky iWatch will sell in huge quantities if for no other reason than the "I've gotta have one" "its made by Apple" mentality embedded in today's consumers.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuserjohnny View Post
I just think Apple would rather work on other things than put work toward an iWatch.
They prefer to make maximum profit. A good goal, yet they could decide to return to innovation of much greater products.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6

At this point, I don't think anyone knows what the possible capabilities of an iWatch will be, so I will reserve judgement until I see what it actually is and does
MacDawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

With all due respect to the OP, Apple hasn't said anything about building an iWatch. This nonsense is due to nothing more than analyst speculation. Now I am not sure if they care about people talking about fantasy products (heck, for all we know Tim Cook is laughing at all of this in his office). I am sure they don't mind that people are talking about Apple and they know that most rational people don't take this seriously.

But nobody anywhere at Apple has said that they are doing anything with the word "watch" There is nothing to go on this at all period. We shouldn't be making a claim that they have confirmed anything. That just leads to more rumor-spreading.
pdjudd is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:28 PM   #5
boss.king
macrumors 68040

2 issues:
1. Has Apple actually said anything about an iWatch?
2. That's not what marketing is.

Even if they were just tricking people, it seems to have stirred public interest, so if they don't bring one but others do, I think it would just end up looking like Apple got left behind. If they are indeed planning one though, im sure they've thought it through.
boss.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6
theuserjohnny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss.king View Post
2 issues:
1. Has Apple actually said anything about an iWatch?
2. That's not what marketing is.

Even if they were just tricking people, it seems to have stirred public interest, so if they don't bring one but others do, I think it would just end up looking like Apple got left behind. If they are indeed planning one though, im sure they've thought it through.
I know it's not an official statement but still

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/12/...a-smart-watch/

The fact that it's making headlines is enough to make other competing companies be like "hey did hear about that rumors that Apple is making a watch... maybe we should invest R&D into looking to a watch".

I mean how far can you go with a watch? It tells time... what are you expecting to make phone calls from it or surf the web with it?
Google Nexus 4 16GB
theuserjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:31 AM   #7
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Its only a rumour. And to be honest, I'm sceptical.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:07 AM   #8
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

It is only a rumor. Unless Apple officially comments on the matter (which they never do) there is no way that any of us can say that there is any truth to it.

And there is also no way that we really know how other companies respond to such rumors. It's mostly rumors building on other rumors.
pdjudd is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion