Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
loganjb25
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
iPhone 3GS Logic Board Damage

Hi everyone, I have an iPhone 3gs 8gb, and the screen and back housing is all screwed and need replacing, but I see on the logic board, right next to the cable 7 connection, a chunk of the logic board is gone, will this affect the iPhone, like what will I lose if I get the iPhone fixed? Is it the arial there? Please help, and thanks in advance, I will give you as much detail as you want..
Best regards
Logan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	397657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	397658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	397659  

loganjb25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:00 AM   #2
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816
 
MultiFinder17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
There is a small metal guy that touches the metal ring around the screen - I have seen that break off these logic boards before, and it normally results in an extreme loss of signal. I'm honestly not sure what effects that entire section of the logic board would have, but I'm sure that it would be nothing good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hsa3HpY6I2UNWjYJ.huge.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	397747  
__________________
2011 iMac, iMac G5, 2012 13" rMBP, ThinkPad X200, iPad mini, iPhone 5.
"...But there is one more thing - your patience was worth it. Introducing the PowerBook G5!" - Steve Jobs Hologram @ WWDC 2014
MultiFinder17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
is it worth the bother for a 3gs/8?

i picked up a 3gs/32 in mint condition for 80
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:57 PM   #4
loganjb25
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiFinder17 View Post
There is a small metal guy that touches the metal ring around the screen - I have seen that break off these logic boards before, and it normally results in an extreme loss of signal. I'm honestly not sure what effects that entire section of the logic board would have, but I'm sure that it would be nothing good.

Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
is it worth the bother for a 3gs/8?

i picked up a 3gs/32 in mint condition for 80
Nice bargain!
loganjb25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
617aircav
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjb25 View Post
Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors

----------



Nice bargain!
Thats a bargain? I got mine for $70 last year.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:03 PM   #6
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816
 
MultiFinder17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
[QUOTE=loganjb25;16867793]Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors[COLOR="#808080"]

I generally have 4-5 bars of service at my home with very fast data on AT&T. When I have used an iPhone with that little tab broken off, data speeds plummeted to less than EDGE when they were there at all, and call quality suffered greatly.
__________________
2011 iMac, iMac G5, 2012 13" rMBP, ThinkPad X200, iPad mini, iPhone 5.
"...But there is one more thing - your patience was worth it. Introducing the PowerBook G5!" - Steve Jobs Hologram @ WWDC 2014
MultiFinder17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:29 PM   #7
loganjb25
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
[QUOTE=MultiFinder17;16867830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjb25 View Post
Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors[COLOR="#808080"]

I generally have 4-5 bars of service at my home with very fast data on AT&T. When I have used an iPhone with that little tab broken off, data speeds plummeted to less than EDGE when they were there at all, and call quality suffered greatly.
Thanks for that, well Im from New Zealand, and the Vodafone Network is 2g and 3g here, and I get full bars of both, so would that matter, so just when they move to 3g completely I would have to sell/upgrade?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Thats a bargain? I got mine for $70 last year.
Im from NZ so it explains it all, before my current iPhone, I had a 3gs 32gb, and payed 300 USD for it, and I want to get a new one if this one can't be fixed, can you suggest any shops around the world, whcih sell 3gs 32gb, and have a warranty, I see apple dont any more. Reason I like the 3gs is its curveness, I dont like the new iPhones, as they are to squarish for me, just my opinion, but thanks anyway

----------

[QUOTE=MultiFinder17;16867830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjb25 View Post
Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors[COLOR="#808080"]

I generally have 4-5 bars of service at my home with very fast data on AT&T. When I have used an iPhone with that little tab broken off, data speeds plummeted to less than EDGE when they were there at all, and call quality suffered greatly.
Also what about txting? Was that normal, and would the bars of reception differ to a normal iPhone without that tab broken, as I very rarely use Data and calling
loganjb25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:42 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjb25 View Post

Also what about txting? Was that normal, and would the bars of reception differ to a normal iPhone without that tab broken, as I very rarely use Data and calling
Reception would cover just about everything from voice calling, SMS, MMS, data use.
__________________
Mac Pro | Mac mini | 15" MacBook Pro | iPad Air | iPhone 6
alphaod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9
loganjb25
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Reception would cover just about everything from voice calling, SMS, MMS, data use.
Okay thanks, so there is a good chance that it wont work like before, and it will have badish recption picking up?
loganjb25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LL22, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjb25 View Post
Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors

----------



Nice bargain!
i thought it was good value too, and a few weeks later i got another 3gs/32 for 80 so my parents have matching phones lol
__________________
iP5/32 black unlimited tethered data, ip4/32 black, iPad3/32gbwifi black, 2 x iP3gs/32 black, nikon d7000 with eyefi , honda s2000, audi a6 le mans, defender 90
Ste Nova is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:39 PM   #11
loganjb25
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
i thought it was good value too, and a few weeks later i got another 3gs/32 for 80 so my parents have matching phones lol
Bump, also so can someone help me get this straight, the little metal tab, that runs off the logic board, and touches the bezel, does that help it with reception? Is there a way I could solder a wire to the board in the right place and run it to the bezel?

Thanks
loganjb25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:47 AM   #12
loganjb25
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
[QUOTE=MultiFinder17;16867830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganjb25 View Post
Thanks for that, when you say an extreme loss off signal, like can you pick it up in areas with high reception? Also btw it restores to ios 6.1 with no errors[COLOR="#808080"]

I generally have 4-5 bars of service at my home with very fast data on AT&T. When I have used an iPhone with that little tab broken off, data speeds plummeted to less than EDGE when they were there at all, and call quality suffered greatly.
bump
loganjb25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
3gs, iphone, logic, unlock

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A1286 mid 2010 820-2850-A logic board water damage repair question soyo MacBook Pro 1 May 11, 2014 07:01 PM
iPhone 5 Water Damage (Logic Board) eNkee iPhone 3 Aug 9, 2013 10:06 PM
Rmbp logic board damage and the Cote & Ciel bag lesson learnt. skysoul MacBook Pro 0 Dec 12, 2012 03:30 AM
Logic board repair (water damage) digitalpencil MacBook Pro 3 Jul 18, 2012 05:25 AM
Logic board damage batasson MacBook 3 Jun 25, 2012 08:36 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC