Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Time Machine to unsupported drive

I've googled far and wide and tried many of them but am unable to get anything to work right.

I have 2 drives plugged into my router that I can access via smb, but was unable to use time machine to backup to a certain folder in those drives.

I also have a desktop running Ubuntu, with a 1TB drive that I was trying to use for a time machine backup drive. I googled how to do this and got as far as making the drive show up in the time machine drives but when I select it i get OSStatus Error 2. How can I backup to that drive? Any help would be lovely, and I can allow VNC access to the desktop, and you can talk me through steps on the mac (imessage me at cclloyd9786@gmail.com).
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Swiss-G
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
I've googled far and wide and tried many of them but am unable to get anything to work right.

I have 2 drives plugged into my router that I can access via smb, but was unable to use time machine to backup to a certain folder in those drives.

I also have a desktop running Ubuntu, with a 1TB drive that I was trying to use for a time machine backup drive. I googled how to do this and got as far as making the drive show up in the time machine drives but when I select it i get OSStatus Error 2. How can I backup to that drive? Any help would be lovely, and I can allow VNC access to the desktop, and you can talk me through steps on the mac (imessage me at cclloyd9786@gmail.com).

Time Machine can’t backup to an external drive that's formatted for Microsoft Windows (NTFS or FAT format). If you select an NTFS or FAT-formatted drive, Time Machine prompts you to reformat the drive. Choose a different drive or reformat the drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Because reformatting erases any files on the drive, only do this if you no longer need the files or if you have copies of them on a different drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427
Swiss-G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

So if I format it to ext4 will it work? Currently its ext3? But I can TRY to format it to HFS+ if thats whats required.

Edit: Even tried HFS+ but it still didn't work...

Last edited by cclloyd; Feb 20, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
satcomer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post

I have 2 drives plugged into my router that I can access via smb, but was unable to use time machine to backup to a certain folder in those drives
WRONG!!! I guess you did find the blog post Configuring OS X Mountain Lion Time Machine to Work With CIFS (SMB) Share.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help