Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1
corvus32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Exclamation AT&T compatible Net10 BYOP SIMs will be capped a 1.5GB

www.net10data.com

Their official statement from the linked site:

Quote:
Effective March 1, 2013, your NET10 Wireless Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP™) AT&T-compatible SIM will be limited to 1.5GB of high speed data usage per 30 day period on the Unlimited plan. Any redemption made prior to March 1st will not be affected by this policy.

The NET10 30-Day Unlimited Airtime Card that you add to your phone will indicate unlimited data; however with an ATT compatible SIM (A- dark blue or B- light blue) you will only receive 1.5GB of data for that 30 day period. You can choose the T-Mobile (TMO) compatible SIM (C-pink) that was included in your package if you prefer to receive Unlimited* 4GƗ data. Please visit our website for instructions on determining if you have TMO compatible service in your area, activating the TMO SIM and transferring your telephone number.

In the event that you cannot locate your TMO SIM, NET10 Wireless will provide a onetime free replacement TMO SIM in TMO compatible areas. Please go to net10data.com or call 888-805-5895

Please visit our net10data.com site to learn how you can save data usage by accessing Wi-Fi sites and closing applications not in use that consume data.
I don't use anywhere near 1.5GB per month, but some of you do. If you're one of them and TMO is a no-go in your area, then you might want to start looking over your other options.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | iPad Air 128GB (Space Grey)
0_o
corvus32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Since Net10 and Straight Talk are different brands from the same company, I think we'll be seeing the same announcement from Straight Talk shortly.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:52 AM   #3
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
Since Net10 and Straight Talk are different brands from the same company, I think we'll be seeing the same announcement from Straight Talk shortly.
I'm actually ok with that. For once we'll actually get a clear answer on what their limit is.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I'm actually ok with that. For once we'll actually get a clear answer on what their limit is.
I agree. Plus these plans with 1.5 GB of data still cost less than similar plans with only 1GB from AT&T GoPhone, Red Pocket, or Airvoice.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
co.ag.2005
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Evergreen, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I'm actually ok with that. For once we'll actually get a clear answer on what their limit is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohbot16 View Post
I agree. Plus these plans with 1.5 GB of data still cost less than similar plans with only 1GB from AT&T GoPhone, Red Pocket, or Airvoice.
exactly! I was seriously thinking about switching me and my wife to Straight Talk over Christmas but backed out due to the unclear data policy. Just tell us how much we can use, even it it's 500MB. But like bohbot said, 1.5GB is still a better data allotment than all other AT&T MVNO's.
__________________
21.5" iMac (2012) | iPad Mini (Retina) | iPhone 6 | HTC One (M8)
co.ag.2005 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
nfl46
macrumors 601
 
nfl46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Question to anyone that may know:

On ST, if I got the 6 month card, do ST reset my data every month? Because its obvious that I'm going to go over 1.5 to 2 GB in 6 months. I just didn't want to pay for a 6 month card and get throttled 5 out of 6 months.
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:39 PM   #7
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Question to anyone that may know:

On ST, if I got the 6 month card, do ST reset my data every month? Because its obvious that I'm going to go over 1.5 to 2 GB in 6 months. I just didn't want to pay for a 6 month card and get throttled 5 out of 6 months.
Straight Talk seems to throttle based on per-day and per-month usage, but not longer than that. A 6 month card is the same as 6 1 month cards in terms of the service you get.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:50 PM   #8
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I'm happy that AT&T is doing this for their MNVOs. Hopefully, they do the same for Straightalk too.

It preserves their network for the people who actually pay $$$ for their service.

There is no reason why AT&T should allow data abusers to be on cheaper MNVOs and take away bandwidth from their post-paid users.

T-Mobile and Sprint are willing to rent out their network for any crap MNVO out there (Virgin, Solavei, etc) and look what's happened. Network quality is complete junk.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
corvus32
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I'm happy that AT&T is doing this for their MNVOs. Hopefully, they do the same for Straightalk too.

It preserves their network for the people who actually pay $$$ for their service.

There is no reason why AT&T should allow data abusers to be on cheaper MNVOs and take away bandwidth from their post-paid users.

T-Mobile and Sprint are willing to rent out their network for any crap MNVO out there (Virgin, Solavei, etc) and look what's happened. Network quality is complete junk.
AT&T owns a significant portion of both Tracfone and their parent company America Movil, so AT&T's position is probably more along the lines of "Let's profit off the competition by underselling their service while charging extra for ours" than "We should really preserve this network for our cheerful customers".
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | iPad Air 128GB (Space Grey)
0_o

Last edited by corvus32; Feb 21, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
corvus32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #10
jackwills
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York, NY
They need to stop advertising their plan as "Unlimited" Data now...
Unlimited talk & text, 1.5GB Data >>> $50
__________________
| iPhone 6 | 13' MacBook Air 2014 |
jackwills is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:51 PM   #11
corvus32
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwills View Post
They need to stop advertising their plan as "Unlimited" Data now...
Unlimited talk & text, 1.5GB Data >>> $50
It only effects their customers with AT&T compatible SIMs, but those are no longer available through their website.

Straight Talk and Net10 are both pushing new BYOP customers to T-Mobile which is still unlimited.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | iPad Air 128GB (Space Grey)
0_o
corvus32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:50 PM   #12
jackwills
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
It only effects their customers with AT&T compatible SIMs, but those are no longer available through their website.

Straight Talk and Net10 are both pushing new BYOP customers to T-Mobile which is still unlimited.
I can still buy AT&T net10 sim on eBay or amazon for really cheap price as low as .99$ ST said the AT&T sims are gonna come bk when I call them yesterday..
T-mobile in my area really suck, must go with the AT&T one...
jackwills is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:27 PM   #13
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
It only effects their customers with AT&T compatible SIMs, but those are no longer available through their website.

Straight Talk and Net10 are both pushing new BYOP customers to T-Mobile which is still unlimited.
I'm glad I got ATT sim when I did. It seems to have been discontinued about a week after I got it. I'm not sure why NET10 and ST are pushing people towards T-Mobile. Coverage still sucks more places than it doesn't.
__________________
GSM Unlocked Moto X 16gb (Android 4.4.4)
ATT Nokia Lumia 520 8gb (Windows Phone 8.1)
Slate iPod Touch 5th Generation 32gb (iOS 8.0)
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:16 AM   #14
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a
 
bohbot16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I'm glad I got ATT sim when I did. It seems to have been discontinued about a week after I got it. I'm not sure why NET10 and ST are pushing people towards T-Mobile. Coverage still sucks more places than it doesn't.
I suspect that the T-Mobile plan is more profitable for them.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:16 PM   #15
NewAnger
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I'm glad I got ATT sim when I did. It seems to have been discontinued about a week after I got it. I'm not sure why NET10 and ST are pushing people towards T-Mobile. Coverage still sucks more places than it doesn't.
That depends on location as it does with every carrier. For me, T-Mobile has the best coverage and highest data speeds ranging from 17-21-Mbps where Verizon has no 3G coverage where I live and I dropped calls and AT&Ts data is almost as bad with no dropped calls.

It is impossible for a carrier to be the perfect carrier for everyone.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will I be able to use a locked AT&T iPhone 5 on Net10? angelica314 iPhone 7 Dec 26, 2013 09:42 PM
Resolved: Difference on service between Net10 & ST? jackwills iPhone 9 Mar 4, 2013 10:38 PM
Resolved: What're the difference between a t-mobile compatible & AT&T compatible ST sim card? jackwills iPhone 1 Mar 4, 2013 10:08 PM
iPhone 5 LTE support on AT&T Straight Talk / Net10? PolloLoco32 iPhone 6 Oct 28, 2012 01:19 PM
AT&T capped data speeds reemas iPhone 19 Aug 9, 2012 12:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC