Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

"Doubling down on product secrecy"

How do you think Tim Cook will actually achieve this? The leaks are still coming, mainly from the supply chain. I would have assumed Apple already only passes on information about future products to those who need it.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

If we told you, it's not a secret any more.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:22 AM   #3
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Under Apple's current popularity, id say it was impossible.
roadbloc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:15 AM   #4
SkyBell
macrumors 603

I don't think Tim had a clue about what actually keeping these things on the hush-hush meant when he made that statement. Apple is too big and too much under public scrutiny to keep much to itself these days.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:16 AM   #5
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

It sounded good in an interview. "We will try to be secret" doesn't sound good.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

I want to see them seriously cutting all loose ends, I remember the aluminum powerbook G4's release, with the backlit keyboard, amazing battery and all that, nobody had any idea what was coming, everything was so secret back then, steve literally had the crowd eating from his hands, but these days, an apple keynote comes around, and we all know exactly what we're going to see. The fun is gone, I don't even look forward to keynotes anymore.
lucasfer899 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
I want to see them seriously cutting all loose ends, I remember the aluminum powerbook G4's release, with the backlit keyboard, amazing battery and all that, nobody had any idea what was coming, everything was so secret back then, steve literally had the crowd eating from his hands, but these days, an apple keynote comes around, and we all know exactly what we're going to see. The fun is gone, I don't even look forward to keynotes anymore.
I know we've got some general ideas about what Apple has in store for the future (watches, TVs, assorted shinies), but we don't know a whole lot about them yet. If they're actually working on something like this, and release is actually imminent, then I'd say their secrecy is working out pretty well. Of course, that's all speculation...
Silvereel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:42 PM   #8
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvereel View Post
I know we've got some general ideas about what Apple has in store for the future (watches, TVs, assorted shinies), but we don't know a whole lot about them yet. If they're actually working on something like this, and release is actually imminent, then I'd say their secrecy is working out pretty well. Of course, that's all speculation...
True, but what I mean is, we saw some of the following before any keynotes, rMBP, Several iPhones, new MBA design, iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad 4, blah blah, it goes on to be honest. And if an iWatch was more imminent than it is right now, there would be pictures.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Silvereel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
True, but what I mean is, we saw some of the following before any keynotes, rMBP, Several iPhones, new MBA design, iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad 4, blah blah, it goes on to be honest. And if an iWatch was more imminent than it is right now, there would be pictures.
I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing the new iMacs before they were announced.

But if you're assuming there have to be pictures for it to be coming, then you're automatically assuming that they can't double down on security at all
Silvereel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

There is this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elevator2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	399432  
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

I think for the majority of products, especially the popular ios devices, we normally see a leaked photo of the device.

----------

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing the new iMacs before they were announced.

But if you're assuming there have to be pictures for it to be coming, then you're automatically assuming that they can't double down on security at all
http://m.techspot.com/news/50486-lea...gic-board.html
Here's one.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
There is this one.
Those were the days.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:

To be honest, to sum up the new iMacs:
Thinner, Spec bump, glorified cache drive. Although I admit, they're wonderful machines.
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:47 AM   #14
adamjackdrew
macrumors newbie

I would like, for once, Apple to be ahead of the game with regards to leaks.

I would like to see leaks, but deliberate leaks...which would be Apple throwing us a curveball. Deliberate leaks to whet the appetite, and then a keynote with something completely different.

Perhaps a Tim item at the end of a keynote would be "And now for something different...".
adamjackdrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion