Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Too many people using the word "Troll"

They use it for any and every post that they don't like or agree with. I have seen many threads hijacked because of the use of this term and I believe that users should start being called out for misappropriating the term when a post is clearly not trolling. It's not just misuse, but it's overuse of this word. It's used as a tool to dismantle sensible discussions.

Why should some members be treated better than others because of their opinions? I thought everyone should be respected the same.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   2
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
If posts are derailing threads, then you should report them.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3
stridemat
Moderator
 
stridemat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southampton, UK
Calling someone a troll is name calling. As mentioned above please report the post where it will be reviewed.
__________________
stridemat is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:55 AM   #4
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
They use it for any and every post that they don't like or agree with. I have seen many threads hijacked because of the use of this term and I believe that users should start being called out for misappropriating the term when a post is clearly not trolling. It's not just misuse, but it's overuse of this word. It's used as a tool to dismantle sensible discussions.

Why should some members be treated better than others because of their opinions? I thought everyone should be respected the same.
I agree, it seems to be difficult sometimes to differentiate between opposing viewpoints and trolling. As I see it, it's all in the presentation of the viewpoint. If people are truly interested in discussing an issue with others who have differing viewpoints, everybody's got to remember to challenge the content of a post, not make personal comments to or about the member who posted.

Real trolling is posting only to rile other people up, with no genuine desire to discuss.

I think if people ignored real trolling, the real trolls would give up pretty quickly. It's tempting to sucked into it, but not worth it.

And like stridemat points out, name-calling isn't allowed here.
annk is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:45 AM   #5
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I don't think most people have ever even seen a real troll. When people go around calling anything and everything a troll post, the word becomes less meaningful.

A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness. Trolls are actually very smart people. Everything they do is planned.

I've had people looking into my history and claiming that I'm a troll, so they'll put me on ignore or whatever. But I'm going to call then out on it. You can't just tell troll everytime someone says something and you don't agree.
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:55 AM   #6
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness. Trolls are actually very smart people. Everything they do is planned.
I think there are people that post an inflammatory content in a thread and walk away - as you mentioned.

There is however people who choose to continue to engage other members for a single purpose of inciting them, i.e., wanting to push their buttons.

As for people's intelligence level, like all of humanity you'll get a varied mixture, some will be extremely intelligent and some who may not be.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   1
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:03 AM   #7
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
...

A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness...
I wish it were that simple, but it's not. As maflynn points out, posting with the intention to upset or taunt other members is also trolling. It can be very subtle.
annk is offline   4
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:04 AM   #8
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I think there are people that post an inflammatory content in a thread and walk away - as you mentioned.

There is however people who choose to continue to engage other members for a single purpose of inciting them, i.e., wanting to push their buttons.

As for people's intelligence level, like all of humanity you'll get a varied mixture, some will be extremely intelligent and some who may not be.
And I think this is where the mistake is made. People will mistake it for "trying to push buttons" when in reality it's just a post that states something that they don't agree with.

If someone says that they didn't like the new iPad, I can guarantee that someone here would label that person a troll, even though that person really doesn't like the new iPad!
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:06 AM   #9
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
I wouldn't try to over think this
MacDawg is offline   4
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:06 AM   #10
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Theres always lots of posts from people that can only be described as trolls on here. They are always a newbie and weirdly never return after making their ridiculous statement.

Some people do post such strange things that you begin to wonder if they can be serious or if they are just trying to to wind people up. I suppose often they are genuine and get falsely labeled a troll, but just use the report button if it bothers you.
Kissaragi is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:19 AM   #11
thehustleman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
If you say you don't like the iphone and state why with very valid reasons you're called a troll and an apple hater.

It's happened to me, I called the iphone 5 out on its shortcomings and was called an apple hater and once it was implied that I couldn't afford an iphone.

Never mind that I have an ipod touch which costs the same or less than an iphone 5 and an imac.
thehustleman is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I don't think most people have ever even seen a real troll. When people go around calling anything and everything a troll post, the word becomes less meaningful.

A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness. Trolls are actually very smart people. Everything they do is planned.

I've had people looking into my history and claiming that I'm a troll, so they'll put me on ignore or whatever. But I'm going to call then out on it. You can't just tell troll everytime someone says something and you don't agree.
Like under a bridge? I don't think I've seen one of those. I agree though, you're NOT a troll, you're...something else. It's fair for person to ask a question or two if they don't know something or are confused. Your posts, however, drastically cross that line. Asking if the iPhone can play PS3/XBOX games for example. Acting like it's crazy that people are annoyed if you have keyboard clicks on in a library, complaining that your hand gets tired browsing the store or "suffering" verbal "abuse" from non-iphone users all indicate someone who has A) never been out of their house or B) someone who is just posting inane things so people pay attention to them. So there you have it, attention whore or troll, but for most it's a potato/potato thing.
Interstella5555 is offline   1
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:46 AM   #13
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Why should some members be treated better than others because of their opinions? I thought everyone should be respected the same.
Like in life, nobody is treated the same.

Respect is earned.
__________________
Mac Pro | Mac mini | 15" MacBook Pro | iPad Air | iPhone 6
alphaod is offline   1
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:44 PM   #14
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I wouldn't try to over think this
My thoughts exactly. I think forums become some people's second home.

Go outside and breathe some fresh air.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:46 PM   #15
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I think there are people that post an inflammatory content in a thread and walk away - as you mentioned.

There is however people who choose to continue to engage other members for a single purpose of inciting them, i.e., wanting to push their buttons.

As for people's intelligence level, like all of humanity you'll get a varied mixture, some will be extremely intelligent and some who may not be.
Kinda what happened to my PM G5 thread, heh.
lucasfer899 is offline   0
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:08 AM   #16
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
They use it for any and every post that they don't like or agree with. I have seen many threads hijacked because of the use of this term and I believe that users should start being called out for misappropriating the term when a post is clearly not trolling. It's not just misuse, but it's overuse of this word. It's used as a tool to dismantle sensible discussions.

Why should some members be treated better than others because of their opinions? I thought everyone should be respected the same.
Yeah.... I think your issue is you make things up to start threads and people get tired of seeing it.
AFDoc is offline   1
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:29 AM   #17
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
If you say you don't like the iphone and state why with very valid reasons you're called a troll and an apple hater.

It's happened to me, I called the iphone 5 out on its shortcomings and was called an apple hater and once it was implied that I couldn't afford an iphone.

Never mind that I have an ipod touch which costs the same or less than an iphone 5 and an imac.
I don't really take regard to people like that.

What I classify as trolling is when people say that they don't like an Apple products, and everyone (millions) of people who buy it are blind followers and sheep, even though they have their own personal reasons to buy it.
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   1
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:28 PM   #18
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Yeah.... I think your issue is you make things up to start threads and people get tired of seeing it.
And what basis do you have to make that judgement? How do you just assume, in your own mind, that these are made up, with no actual basis.
bonskovsky is offline   1
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:08 PM   #19
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
They use it for any and every post that they don't like or agree with. I have seen many threads hijacked because of the use of this term and I believe that users should start being called out for misappropriating the term when a post is clearly not trolling. It's not just misuse, but it's overuse of this word. It's used as a tool to dismantle sensible discussions.

Why should some members be treated better than others because of their opinions? I thought everyone should be respected the same.
I think you're trolling.


__________________
roadbloc is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:59 PM   #20
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Yeah.... I think your issue is you make things up to start threads and people get tired of seeing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
And what basis do you have to make that judgement? How do you just assume, in your own mind, that these are made up, with no actual basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
I think you're trolling.


This is a perfect illustration of how difficult it can be to identify trolling sometimes. Is a member purposely trying to rile up other members? Is he/she just mistaken (thinking something is fact and saying so when in fact it isn't true)? Are other members getting irritated because a member is purposely trolling, or are they only irritated because they won't allow room for opposing views (which are often made harder to swallow if the member posting the unpopular viewpoint isn't wording him or herself well, or maybe even isn't a native English speaker)?

My advice? Give people the benefit of the doubt, and if you think they may be trolling, ignore them. Trolls die out if they are ignored, they feed on attention.
annk is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:15 PM   #21
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Would it be considered trolling if I sat around acting like I agreed with whatever you're saying? If you've been accused of trolling, and you can't effectively prove that that person is in fact trolling, and not having a sensible discussion, you need to one reevaluate the word into you should not be banning them.

Fact of the matter is, I try to have sensible discussions just like a lot of other people on this forum, and we keep getting it stepped on because some people cannot sit with the fact that they have different views then we do.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:27 PM   #22
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Would it be considered trolling if I sat around acting like I agreed with whatever you're saying? If you've been accused of trolling, and you can't effectively prove that that person is in fact trolling, and not having a sensible discussion, you need to one reevaluate the word into you should not be banning them.

Fact of the matter is, I try to have sensible discussions just like a lot of other people on this forum, and we keep getting it stepped because some people cannot sit with the fact that they have different views then we do.
I'm having a hard time understanding what this post says
MacDawg is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:33 PM   #23
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding what this post says
People should not be getting banned for trolling unless they are a proven troll. I know no one's going to take this seriously but it's your forum, and your choice.
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:31 PM   #24
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness.
That's a succesful troll vs. an unsuccesful troll, not a "real" vs. a "fake" troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Trolls are actually very smart people. Everything they do is planned.
That's not smart, it's malicious. I haven't seen a smart troll yet.
gnasher729 is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:00 PM   #25
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Trolling does not include posting opposing viewpoints, posting something that not everyone will understand, taboo or controversial discussions.

There is only one definition for trolling and that is posting in order to make someone angry, to flame them.

The fact that I was given a time out on the count of trolling for the topic, "What's the difference between the iPad 3 and 4" means that somebody was inevitably, angered by that question, or they may have not been, but thought that the topic was created in order to anger someone.

Which is not the case, and therefore I have been served an injustice.

The next time someone attempts to call me a troll I'm calling them out on it.

~End of discussion.~

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   0


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do you think people aren't buying the "pure" Android experience? GKDAIR Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 52 Jun 28, 2013 05:17 AM
Word: Recent File "Word is unable to find the document" brentonchina Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Nov 13, 2012 02:56 AM
How are people coping with "fuzzy" Office 2011 for Mac on rMBP? iFanboy MacBook Pro 25 Sep 3, 2012 08:59 PM
I hope that people who think that next years rMBP hardware will fix the "lag"... theuserjohnny MacBook Pro 160 Aug 10, 2012 12:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC