Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:33 AM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned

Has anyone ever told you to shut off keyboard clicks?

Do some people find them annoying, I'd just like to know, I think they're a necessary evil.

I'm sitting here in the library just tip typing away, and I'm wondering if anyone can actually hear it.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:39 AM   #2
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

everybody seriously hates you in there you cant tell?
x-evil-x is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:40 AM   #3
sammich
macrumors 601

Never really noticed it/heard it being noticeably loud. But just like any sort of repetitive noise: if it's too loud to be obnoxious: stop it. Now.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Oh my...Wally has some serious competition here!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:43 AM   #5
dma550
macrumors 6502

yeah, I ask my kids to do it. You're sitting by a crackling fire and hear every text chime, every click click click. Even the vibrate goes through the floors of our old home.

Any repetitive noise can become annoying. I sold my coolermaster quickfire keyboard with the old school click-snap cherry blue keys as an act of mercy.
dma550 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Nope, I figured out all by myself that they're annoying as hell and in no way a "necessary evil."
Interstella5555 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:54 AM   #7
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

You must be one of those people who has their phone on full volume alerts... DING DING, as the text comes. Click as you unlock the phone. Tick tack tick tack as you type your message. Swoop as it sends. Another click as it locks.

In short... we hate you.
XboxMySocks is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:54 AM   #8
bonskovsky
Banned

People don't ask you to type on the computer more softly, so I always thought it was okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
You must be one of those people who has their phone on full volume alerts... DING DING, as the text comes. Click as you unlock the phone. Tick tack tick tack as you type your message. Swoop as it sends. Another click as it locks.

In short... we hate you.
I surely do. Well I feel like I have to hear the keyboard clicks, or typing just gets really hard.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Feb 22, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:12 AM   #9
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

No one has ever said anything but I'm like OP. I hate typing with no click (when my phone is muted).

I need some type of feedback with a touchscreen keyboard.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:13 AM   #10
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Personally I find them unnecessary and annoying and have them turned off

I doubt I would ever say anything to anyone else about it, but yes, it would annoy me under certain conditions for sure
MacDawg is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:18 AM   #11
madsci954
macrumors 68000

One of the first things I do when I set up a new iPhone or iPad is turn the keyboard clicks off.
madsci954 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:24 AM   #12
SoLongAndroid
macrumors member

During midterms or finals and sometimes in between with big exams. If someone leaves their clicks on and is just typing away over and over. Hypothetically speaking, there might have or have not been a time when that person got a drink or water spilled on them by someone in the library on accident.
SoLongAndroid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:28 AM   #13
monkor
Banned

Quote:

In short... we hate you.
You must know my girlfriend
monkor is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:44 AM   #14
psac
macrumors 6502

Some people at work have it on in meetings and it annoys the hell out of me.
psac is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:50 AM   #15
syd430

Always the very first thing I disable when I get a new iphone
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:51 AM   #16
TG1
macrumors 6502

I also need the sound of the click for feedback. I do have my volume down to one bar so I haven't heard any complaints yet.
TG1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
People don't ask you to type on the computer more softly, so I always thought it was okay.
You can't change how loud a physical keyboard is, so of course nobody is going to ask you to type more softly. But you have the option to turn off the keyboard clicks on your iPhone, so it's an implied expectation that you do so in situations where a repetitive and unnecessary sound is easily heard. I mean, it's your choice, but just know that there are indeed situations where you should really consider turning that sound off.
Tubamajuba is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:00 AM   #18
syd430

Quote:

In short... we hate you.
Almost as annoying as watching someone have their brightness to 100% in a near dark setting. I just sit there thinking FFS YOU'RE DRAINING YOUR BATTERY UNNECESSARILY AND BLINDING YOUR SELF AT THE SAME TIME :@
  13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:06 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
Personally I find them unnecessary and annoying and have them turned off
Same with me. The only time I would find them annoying if someone else was using them would be in an extremely quiet environment like the library. I wouldn't say anything to them, however.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:30 AM   #20
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Same with me. The only time I would find them annoying if someone else was using them would be in an extremely quiet environment like the library. I wouldn't say anything to them, however.
Actually anywhere else I probably wouldn't say anything and quietly judge you, but in a library? You bet your ass I would, you've passed from annoying to actively being rude.
Interstella5555 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:01 AM   #21
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Do some people find them annoying, I'd just like to know, I think they're a necessary evil.

I'm sitting here in the library just tip typing away, and I'm wondering if anyone can actually hear it.
Normally, I wouldn't be bothered by keyboard clicks, but if I was in the library and you were *continuously* texting next to me (as opposed to a quick message) I'd ask you to turn the sound off. It's inconsiderate in that environment --and I'm sure you could manage to find a way to text without the click sound.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:29 AM   #22
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Normally, I wouldn't be bothered by keyboard clicks, but if I was in the library and you were *continuously* texting next to me (as opposed to a quick message) I'd ask you to turn the sound off. It's inconsiderate in that environment --and I'm sure you could manage to find a way to text without the click sound.
As bad as the text noises are, nothing beats the people playing world of war craft on their laptops with an external mouse @ 1000 clicks per minute...

It goes a bit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Knu8pLg6E
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:47 AM   #23
alphaod
macrumors Core

If you have to turn on the sound, at least have the courtesy to use headphones.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #24
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkor View Post
You must know my girlfriend
Hahaha I'm unsure of the implication of this. Do you mean that because I typed out exactly what she does with her phone? (It does seem to be a more female-centric iPhone behaviour)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Almost as annoying as watching someone have their brightness to 100% in a near dark setting. I just sit there thinking FFS YOU'RE DRAINING YOUR BATTERY UNNECESSARILY AND BLINDING YOUR SELF AT THE SAME TIME :@
Movie theatres
XboxMySocks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:16 PM   #25
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

The keyboard clicks annoyed the crap out of me on my very first iPhone. I've had them off for the past 4 1/2 years. Actually, my phone is in vibrate mode probably 80% of the time anyway. I always seem to be in places where alerts/ringtones of any kind would be rude or obnoxious. At home is probably the only place I keep my phone sound on, and even then if I start a text conversation with someone, I'll turn it on vibrate because I get tired of hearing the sounds constantly.

As for the people who need the clicks for feedback, just try it without sometime. I promise you'll still hit the keys. It's not making your a better typer just because you can hear it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone