iPhone 5 or the next one? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:13 AM   #1
di1in
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 or the next one?

I bought an iPhone 5 in Jan, but had it stolen from me a few days ago. I really want to buy another iphone, but with all the rumours pointing to a June release I'm confused as to whether I should wait a few more months for the next one.

How much probable is it for Apple to launch it in June rather than the usual sep/Oct?
di1in is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:46 AM   #2
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

It depends. What's your fall back phone? If there is a June release then all it would be is a bump in processor and camera

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:59 AM   #3
irDigital0l

iPhone 5S will probably come out in June.

With all the rumors circulating about an early release plus Galaxy S IV is coming in April.

Apple would be dumb not to release the new iPhone as soon as they can.
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:47 AM   #4
di1in
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormSD View Post
It depends. What's your fall back phone? If there is a June release then all it would be is a bump in processor and camera
My fall back phones are a fall back in time -- a Nokia X1 and a LG Optimus One P500. (need both because of battery issues with the LG).

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iPhone 5S will probably come out in June.

With all the rumors circulating about an early release plus Galaxy S IV is coming in April.

Apple would be dumb not to release the new iPhone as soon as they can.
Considering the iPhone comes out in June, how long before unlocked devices are available? I live in India and I can't use a locked one from the US..
di1in is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:20 AM   #5
mapledress
macrumors regular

Hi, guys, I am new to this forums.
In my eyes, If you have enough money, you can now get the iPhone 5. And when the iPhone 5s released, You can update your iPhone 5 to iphone 5s or iphone 6. Or you can sell the iphone 5 at ebay and then get the new iphone.
mapledress is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:38 AM   #6
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

Buy another iphone 5 and then upgrade when the iphone 6 comes out
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:40 AM   #7
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

I say buy the first number, and never the "s" version.
So go;
iPhone;
3G
skip 3GS
then 4,
Skip 4S
then 5
Skip 5S and so on :3
lucasfer899 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:50 AM   #8
SR45
Banned

Just the Opposite...

Buy the 5S version since it may have some of the fixes for the issues the 5 had/has
SR45 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:06 AM   #9
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

If one waited for what's new out around the corner, then one wouldn't end up making a purchase at all !
bandofbrothers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

If you need a phone, get one now.

I just upgraded to the 5 from a 4... Despite the fact the 5S will likely be here this summer. If you need a phone, get the best that's on the market when you're looking. It's not like it won't be useful in six months simply because there's something newer.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:34 AM   #11
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
If one waited for what's new out around the corner, then one wouldn't end up making a purchase at all !
However, if its just a few short months around the corner, I would not get one now and possibly miss out on perhaps some new improvements no matter how minor. If it were lets say 8 months out or longer, than I would get one now. If you have a phone that is working just fine now, I would wait it out.
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:41 AM   #12
MushroomTip24
macrumors newbie

IMO buy now. Usually the "s" is only a minor upgrade in specs such as a better camera and processor which is not as important to me. But if it is for you then go ahead and wait. You can always sell later if a new one comes out and you would still get a good value on it.
MushroomTip24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Commy1
macrumors 6502a

If you can wait, then get the 5S, but as it's been said already, it's not going to be anything special. Realistically the iPhone 5 is an incredible well built piece of tech and I can't see apple making it anymore remarkable.

I think they'll put the A6X in it, maybe upgrade the camera and maybe make it available in more colors,that's it. I would get get the iPhone 5, you wouldn't miss out on much and you can get it now.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:50 AM   #14
macMD
macrumors 6502

Since it was stolen, are you getting covered by your insurance, if not are you using your last upgrade or is this a full retail situation? That could make a bigger impact on your decision. Plus if you were happy with the iP5 and were not planning on getting the iP5S or whatever it will be called then I would say get the current model.

For me my upgrades are not until early April, so given a possible June release I am waiting, I mean why not. If its looking to be September then I may be swayed but not sure. I am hoping Apple's crap quality control gets better and more under control on the next phone.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:55 AM   #15
di1in
macrumors regular

I guess I'll wait for 3 more months and get the next one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
Since it was stolen, are you getting covered by your insurance, if not are you using your last upgrade or is this a full retail situation? That could make a bigger impact on your decision. Plus if you were happy with the iP5 and were not planning on getting the iP5S or whatever it will be called then I would say get the current model.

For me my upgrades are not until early April, so given a possible June release I am waiting, I mean why not. If its looking to be September then I may be swayed but not sure. I am hoping Apple's crap quality control gets better and more under control on the next phone.
Nope, didn't get time to get insurance on it it was a full retail purchase and i had it for less than two weeks.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:18 PM   #16
macMD
macrumors 6502

Ouch, and I am sorry you didn't have insurance on it. Did you try find my iphone to locate it. Still sux.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:40 AM   #17
di1in
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
Ouch, and I am sorry you didn't have insurance on it. Did you try find my iphone to locate it. Still sux.
Tried find my iPhone, but the phone remains offline. Probably they've reset it by now.

Apple needs to integrate find my iphone with the imei and not just the apple id.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:39 AM   #18
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

how was it stolen?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:08 AM   #19
Jimmy James
macrumors 65832

The 5 is everything I want from a hardware standpoint.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
iphone 5s