Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:05 AM   #1
trvsglr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Replacing the 4S battery

I wanted to replace a battery in an iPhone 4s and I see on ebay and amazon decently priced ones. Does anyone know if these are ok to use? I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced their battery with an ebay one and was satisfied?
__________________
16 GB White iPhone 5
16 GB Black iPad mini
Apple TV3
trvsglr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Malindascott
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Honesty, I would stay away from places like that. Use someplace like ifixit. I ordered my battery from there. I'm not very technical with taking things apart, but I followed their video and had no problems. The battery works just like my battery did when I got the phone. Don't try to take the cheap way out of getting a battery.
Malindascott is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindascott View Post
Honesty, I would stay away from places like that. Use someplace like ifixit. I ordered my battery from there. I'm not very technical with taking things apart, but I followed their video and had no problems. The battery works just like my battery did when I got the phone. Don't try to take the cheap way out of getting a battery.
Sound advice. The old adage, "you only get what you pay for" rings very true.
John T is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a
 
quietstormSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
As the previous poster said, go for the one on iFixit. A lot of the ones on ebay and cheap ones on amazon are knockoffs and not oem.
__________________
Early 2011 13" MBP 2.3GHz Intel Core i5; iPhone 4S 32GB white on at&t; iPod Shuffle 4th gen; iPad Air WIFI 32GB silver/white

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:40 AM   #5
saud0488
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
I've fixed well over 70 iPhones. eBay ones are fine, there's zero difference between ifixit and ebay ones. Buy from a reputable seller on ebay and you'll be fine. If paying more will make you feel better about it, then by all means do that.

Notice though, that no one here can name one difference between an ebay and amazon one.

Use iFixit to repair it though. A battery should take no longer than two minutes. Make sure you don't use the pull tab to take the battery out though. Use a good metal spudger to lift it out from the edges since that's where the adhesive is. Start from the side with the volume control and carefully lift up.
saud0488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
bryanc28
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arlington, Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by saud0488 View Post
I've fixed well over 70 iPhones. eBay ones are fine, there's zero difference between ifixit and ebay ones. Buy from a reputable seller on ebay and you'll be fine. If paying more will make you feel better about it, then by all means do that.

Notice though, that no one here can name one difference between an ebay and amazon one.

Use iFixit to repair it though. A battery should take no longer than two minutes. Make sure you don't use the pull tab to take the battery out though. Use a good metal spudger to lift it out from the edges since that's where the adhesive is. Start from the side with the volume control and carefully lift up.

Definetly get a spudger!
__________________
iPhone 4 16GB
iPhone 5 16GB
iPad Air 16GB
bryanc28 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Brian Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by saud0488 View Post
I've fixed well over 70 iPhones. eBay ones are fine, there's zero difference between ifixit and ebay ones. Buy from a reputable seller on ebay and you'll be fine. If paying more will make you feel better about it, then by all means do that.

Notice though, that no one here can name one difference between an ebay and amazon one.

Use iFixit to repair it though. A battery should take no longer than two minutes. Make sure you don't use the pull tab to take the battery out though. Use a good metal spudger to lift it out from the edges since that's where the adhesive is. Start from the side with the volume control and carefully lift up.
Metal? With a battery? You have to be joking right? Seriously - if that's what you do, stop fixing iPhones before you hurt yourself.

You want to use a ***PLASTIC*** spudger to pry the battery up slowly.

Also - when it comes to batteries - I only ever trust official ones. I've seen too many disaster stories with third party. Ifixit sell OEM batteries. Ones from eBay - who know's what the heck's inside it. Pay more for one you can trust (is it worth rising your iPhone or worse for $10).
Brian Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:16 PM   #8
saud0488
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Metal? With a battery? You have to be joking right? Seriously - if that's what you do, stop fixing iPhones before you hurt yourself.

You want to use a ***PLASTIC*** spudger to pry the battery up slowly.

Also - when it comes to batteries - I only ever trust official ones. I've seen too many disaster stories with third party. Ifixit sell OEM batteries. Ones from eBay - who know's what the heck's inside it. Pay more for one you can trust (is it worth rising your iPhone or worse for $10).
Always use metal. Plastic ones such as they often bend and then break. Also, they tend to change the shape of the battery. I always use it and it works flawlessly.

I've never had a problem with oem batteries from eBay. They are usually half the price of the ifixit ones and work just as well.
saud0488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:11 AM   #9
aphexacid
macrumors 6502a
 
aphexacid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by saud0488 View Post
I've fixed well over 70 iPhones. eBay ones are fine, there's zero difference between ifixit and ebay ones. Buy from a reputable seller on ebay and you'll be fine. If paying more will make you feel better about it, then by all means do that.

Notice though, that no one here can name one difference between an ebay and amazon one.

Use iFixit to repair it though. A battery should take no longer than two minutes. Make sure you don't use the pull tab to take the battery out though. Use a good metal spudger to lift it out from the edges since that's where the adhesive is. Start from the side with the volume control and carefully lift up.
This 100%
aphexacid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #10
iRepairParts
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post

Also - when it comes to batteries - I only ever trust official ones. I've seen too many disaster stories with third party. Ifixit sell OEM batteries. Ones from eBay - who know's what the heck's inside it. Pay more for one you can trust (is it worth rising your iPhone or worse for $10).
You do know that iFixit does not sell all OEM parts right? Its a common misconception. You don't have to take my word for it. You can email support and ask them if their parts are OEM, and they will tell you. I contacted them a while back to ask about their quality and they were straightforward with their answer.

Their parts are high quality replacements, and IMO they are good quality but way over priced. As for their guides and videos, they are amazing and super high-resolution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ifixitCrop.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	399232  
__________________
>>>High Quality iPhone Screen Replacement Kits- Free Shipping- 2 Year Warranty<<<

Last edited by iRepairParts; Feb 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:22 AM   #11
trvsglr
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I appreciate all the advice, thank you so much.
__________________
16 GB White iPhone 5
16 GB Black iPad mini
Apple TV3
trvsglr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:05 AM   #12
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairParts View Post
You do know that iFixit does not sell OEM parts right? Its a common misconception. You don't have to take my word for it. You can email support and ask them if their parts are OEM, and they will tell you. I contacted them a while back to ask about their quality and they were straightforward with their answer.

Their parts are high quality replacements, and IMO they are good quality but way over priced. As for their guides and videos, they are amazing and super high-resolution.
The example of your query to iFixit referred specifically to the iPhones digitiser. Are you sure that all parts supplied are not OEM?
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:54 AM   #13
iRepairParts
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
 
see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
The example of your query to iFixit referred specifically to the iPhones digitiser. Are you sure that all parts supplied are not OEM?
I was just pointing out the fact that not all of their parts are OEM. And because their support is honest, its always to best ask about the quality of the part if you are concerned.

I am sure that if someone were to ask if their batteries were OEM, they would give you an honest answer.
__________________
>>>High Quality iPhone Screen Replacement Kits- Free Shipping- 2 Year Warranty<<<
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC