Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
The mods closed the original thread, but I found this side issue interesting, so I thought I'd start a new thread on this.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16902793/
To answer on topic, the iPad Mini is a brilliant little tablet and would probably be perfect from a size perspective, but there have been suggestions that the glass may be thinner and therefore easier to break than the iPad 2 so you may want to consider that.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16902870/
The mini screen is slightly raised like the iPhone 5 so that may make it easier to break if it lands on a corner when dropped. And yeh the thinner screen is slightly noticeable. Moderate pressure on the screen discolours it and I can definitely notice it feeling a bit more softer than the bigger iPad.

I have to say I've never noticed this issue. I can see the point about iPhone 5 and the mini being easier to break if you drop them on a corner, which is why I got cases for both my 5 and the mini (and indeed for all my iDevices). But screen discolouring with pressure and feeling softer? I can't say I've noticed, but again, I put screen protectors on all my iDevices. Have other people noticed this issue? Has this been discussed before and I missed it?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The mods closed the original thread, but I found this side issue interesting, so I thought I'd start a new thread on this.

I have to say I've never noticed this issue. I can see the point about iPhone 5 and the mini being easier to break if you drop them on a corner, which is why I got cases for both my 5 and the mini (and indeed for all my iDevices). But screen discolouring with pressure and feeling softer? I can't say I've noticed, but again, I put screen protectors on all my iDevices. Have other people noticed this issue? Has this been discussed before and I missed it?

Well, the second quote is bull. The Minis screen is flush, not like the raised iPhone 5. Ignore this rubbish and enjoy your devices.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The mini screen feels VERY thin. Pressing down on it makes it bend. And it feels kinda hollow only that's probably not the right word to describe it.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
It is thinner, but it's also smaller. It's not easy to say which of them is more durable. My feeling is that they're pretty similar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.