Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:09 AM   #1
AT06
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
Advice needed - camera upgrade

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Canon 60D from DigitalRev but had to return it for various reasons. They are giving me a full refund and refunding my postage (fingers crossed).

Now March is getting closer, I'm thinking that the 70D could be announced any minute. So...should I wait and use my ageing 400D in the mean time, or order another 60D?
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8

Last edited by AT06; Feb 26, 2013 at 05:54 AM.
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:56 AM   #2
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Unless you have a strong need to upgrade right this second I'd wait for the 70D or even 7DmkII. The only problem I see is that Canon seem to be moving everything up in price as they release new stuff.
robbieduncan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:53 AM   #3
AT06
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Unless you have a strong need to upgrade right this second I'd wait for the 70D or even 7DmkII. The only problem I see is that Canon seem to be moving everything up in price as they release new stuff.
The more I think about it, the more likely I will wait. I'm going to be paying extra anyway as I'm going to buy from the UK and not grey, so I might as well just spend more on getting the new version as well. As long as I can get it for around 900 I should be able to afford it.

Hopefully it will be announced and in stores before the end of March - all this waiting is killing me!
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:55 AM   #4
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT06 View Post
As long as I can get it for around 900 I should be able to afford it.
I'd not bet on that: the 60D is reduced a long way from list right now. Any new camera will sell for full list price for a month or two which could well be more than list for a 60D. I'd guess at 1200+...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:08 AM   #5
AT06
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
I'd not bet on that: the 60D is reduced a long way from list right now. Any new camera will sell for full list price for a month or two which could well be more than list for a 60D. I'd guess at 1200+...
Damn - well I might just wait a bit until around June - July (if it gets released in March) for the prices to drop a bit. My 400D is serving me well, and I've only started photography this year so I want to be sure I'm going to keep it up before I drop 1k on a new camera. I might get a new lens in the mean time to keep me sane with all this waiting!
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:13 PM   #6
fcortese
macrumors 68000
 
fcortese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Big Sky country
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT06 View Post
Damn - well I might just wait a bit until around June - July (if it gets released in March) for the prices to drop a bit. My 400D is serving me well, and I've only started photography this year so I want to be sure I'm going to keep it up before I drop 1k on a new camera. I might get a new lens in the mean time to keep me sane with all this waiting!
Wise decision
__________________
15"MBP 2.66 i7 8GB; iPod Classic; iPhone5; Canon 5DIII w/24-105 f4L & 4 lenses
"You can observe a lot by just watching"-Yogi Berra
www.fotosbyflorian.com
fcortese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:17 PM   #7
AT06
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
I've pretty much changed my mind 20 times today. I'm not going to rush into buying anything for the next few months until I'm sure I'm going to keep loving photography enough to warrant some spending. On the basis that I do keep up photography, here's my new plan - let me know what you think.

Get a 24-105mm in a few months time to replace my half broke 18-55mm kit lens, then a prime lens or two (35mm, 100mm), then in a couple of years upgrade from the 400d to a full frame body such as the 6D (maybe the 6D Mark 2 or whatever is out around then).

I think the path of glass is a safer bet because they seem to hold their value very well.
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:10 AM   #8
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
Glass is a better investment that a new camera. Before I bought my 7D I invested in a couple of L lenses to use on my 400D. The lenses made a much bigger difference than the body...
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:52 AM   #9
AT06
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winwick, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Glass is a better investment that a new camera. Before I bought my 7D I invested in a couple of L lenses to use on my 400D. The lenses made a much bigger difference than the body...
I'm definately settled on getting the 24-105mm. I don't really shoot that many wide shots so I figure that lens should be a good replacement for my rubbish kit 18-55mm and also be usable if I decide to go full frame.

Thanks for the help.
__________________
"Twenty seconds of insane courage"
iMac 27"| iPad 32GB | iPhone 5 | Canon 6D, 24-105mm f/4L & 50mm f/1.8
AT06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:30 AM   #10
stevendphoto
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Save your money and wait for the 80D or 90D, I am sure they will be even better...
stevendphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed on upgrade/setup change barnetda Buying Tips and Advice 9 Jun 2, 2014 12:57 PM
3G/4G Ip Camera advice needed. justperry Buying Tips and Advice 1 Oct 12, 2013 09:29 AM
Upgrade Advice Needed davemc67 MacBook Pro 4 Mar 19, 2013 07:31 PM
Help! Advice needed on upgrade path. Moccasin Buying Tips and Advice 3 Mar 11, 2013 02:12 AM
Advice Needed for DSLR Camera Gator24765 Digital Photography 18 Feb 24, 2013 10:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC