Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
Stolen: $19,000 Worth Of Girl Scout Cookies

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/S...193700081.html

Quote:
Some Girl Scout cookie lovers in South Carolina are going to be missing out on some of the seasonal treats this year.

Thieves broke into a warehouse in Spartanburg, South Carolina and stole almost $19,000 worth of the yummy treats.

The theft was discovered when inventory was being taken at Carey Moving and Storage where the bulk of the cookies are delivered and stored.

The thieves seem to favor thin mints and shortbreads...those were the only two flavors taken.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam!
SilentPanda is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:57 PM   #2
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
And so the cookie crumbles. Those are my favorite ones as well. Finally can get some cheaper. Big cookie sale happening at your local corner soon! LOL!
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
2jaded2care
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Atlanta
Stealing from little girls, literally. Good job. I'm sure the scumbags can rationalize it somehow.
2jaded2care is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jaded2care View Post
Stealing from little girls, literally. Good job. I'm sure the scumbags can rationalize it somehow.
Not quite. They stole from the organization. Literally stealing from little girls would be the thieves going to where they sell the cookies and robbing them.......
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Thin Mints are the only GS cookies worth stealing and the reason I gain weight in late winter.
GermanyChris is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Bastards!
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Tomorrow
macrumors 603
 
Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Always a day away
Thin mints and shortbreads? They can have 'em. Leave me my Do-Si-Dos.

Oh, and if there are any Girl Scouts reading this (yeah, right): bring back the All-Abouts!!
__________________
I would scream just to be heard, as if yelling at the stars - I was bleeding just to feel.
You would never say a word, kept me reaching in the dark - always something to conceal.
Tomorrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:03 AM   #8
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
I ordered from two people. I hope this doesn't delay my shipment , I have a pregnant wife to feed.

$19,000 worth, that's like 20 boxes these days right?
ericrwalker is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Tilpots
macrumors 68040
 
Tilpots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Carolina Beach, NC
Ahem, if anyone, no one in particular mind you, wants to PM me, uh, I'm a huge Thin Mint fan. Just sayin'. I'm not too far from SC either, if you wanna meet. Just to say 'Hello,' of course...

__________________
A tree is known by its fruit.
Tilpots is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:29 AM   #10
Schmitty11
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Oh that is not cool.
Schmitty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:58 AM   #11
2jaded2care
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Not quite. They stole from the organization. Literally stealing from little girls would be the thieves going to where they sell the cookies and robbing them.......
So the girls themselves are not part of the organization?

I don't get the humor over this. Cookie sales support the troops, their events and the infrastructure... Perhaps it is also now funny when thieves steal from Toys for Tots, Homes for Humanity, or food pantries.
2jaded2care is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:21 PM   #12
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jaded2care View Post
So the girls themselves are not part of the organization?

I don't get the humor over this. Cookie sales support the troops, their events and the infrastructure... Perhaps it is also now funny when thieves steal from Toys for Tots, Homes for Humanity, or food pantries.
So if I rob a preschool for whatever reason, I stole from kids too since they are a part of that school? I don't follow that logic.

The thief stole from the organization, not the girls themselves. I never found any humor in this so I don't know what you're getting at.....
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:38 PM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Thin mints They can have 'em.
Blasphemer!
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
I'd be suspicious of any good deals on GS cookies on eBay.

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:53 PM   #15
2jaded2care
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
So if I rob a preschool for whatever reason, I stole from kids too since they are a part of that school? I don't follow that logic.

The thief stole from the organization, not the girls themselves. I never found any humor in this so I don't know what you're getting at.....
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were the one finding humor in the situation. Other posters, however, seem to be making light of the situation.

And sorry again, but as much as you can't follow my logic, I'll admit I don't understand the distinction you are drawing. Except for the Girl Scout nat'l organization, everyone else is a volunteer. It's a non-profit organization, which its members belong to once they join.

Unless the storage company or its insurance is stepping up to cover the loss, it's on the Girl Scouts (or their insurance company, followed by subsequent higher insurance charges)...

As I perceive it, your argument is like saying "I stole from the club, not its members," or, "I stole from the Toys for Tots organization, not the kids who now won't get toys because of the theft." Admittedly my ability to compartmentalize things in these situations is not very high. Perhaps that is reacting too emotionally, but if the end result is that the kids are deprived, IMO the thieves are literally stealing from the kids.
2jaded2care is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:19 PM   #16
24hrpizza
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
try finding them on ebay
24hrpizza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:08 PM   #17
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Thin Mints could replace bitcoins.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:55 PM   #18
MICHAELSD
macrumors 68000
 
MICHAELSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
In other news, a knock-off Girl Scout troop of girls was enlisted to sell them.
__________________
Managing/designing the Showtime DEXTER prop store!
15" Retina MacBook Pro (2012 base)
32GB gold iPhone 5s - 16GB iPad Air
MICHAELSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 02:00 PM   #19
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELSD View Post
In other news, a knock-off Girl Scout troop of girls was enlisted to sell them.
I was going to say..... why?! What do you do with about 4,000 stolen boxes of cookies?

I wonder if there was more to the story. Like maybe the real target was to steal a truck, that happened to contain the cookies. The cookies make for a much more entertaining headline.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 02:15 PM   #20
WildCard^
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
This is a thread from last March, but my first guess was that it was insurance fraud. If a troop was desperate enough, stage a robbery of your overstock.

I think it was last year that the GS changed the sourcing, so the troop has to buy the cookies, then sell them - vs how they previously did it which was sell them, make huge bulk order, wait for delivery, then deliver to the buyers, collect cash. It was weird, seemed like it was more pressured, different.

Or was that change just here in my area of the midwest? My girls' troop said it was nationwide, but maybe not.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
I was going to say..... why?! What do you do with about 4,000 stolen boxes of cookies?
so 4000 boxes = around 333 cases assuming 12 per case. Assuming each box is about a foot cubed, that means 64 cases per skid.

That means this was about 5-6 skids of cookies taken. How would you store that. It was in SC, so you would think outside storage unit would melt the chocolate and the rats and mice would tear them up.
WildCard^ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 02:43 PM   #21
TSE
macrumors 68030
 
TSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Not a fan of those overpriced, overrated cookies. $19,000 worth of cookies probably cost $2000 to manufacture and ship. Still a sad deal though.
__________________
MacBook Pro, 2.2ghz Quad-Core i7 Processor, 15" 1680x1050 Anti-Glare LCD, 8gbs of RAM, 750gb, 5400rpm HD, AMD Radeon 6750M HD, Mac OS X + Windows 7 Ultimate
TSE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:44 PM   #22
localoid
macrumors 68020
 
localoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: America's Third World
Thumb resize.
__________________
My remake of the definitive Populuxe film on 1950s automotive, industrial/interior/architectural design: American Look (1958), Reimagined
localoid is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2014, 04:48 PM   #23
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
If anyone want so send me a few dozen thin mint or shortbread boxes, I'm down
__________________
rMBP 15| MBA| riPad| TV| AEBS| iP5s|S4|One|GN3
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 03:55 PM   #24
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Can't wait to buy some Thin Mints!
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 02:43 AM   #25
phrehdd
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
This kind of theft should be a good reason to bring public flogging back and massive community service.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permit Required to Sell Girl Scout Cookies Southern Dad Politics, Religion, Social Issues 49 May 27, 2014 01:30 PM
Girl Scout cookies promote the gay agenda, abortion and communism likemyorbs Politics, Religion, Social Issues 59 Oct 30, 2013 07:02 PM
BBC Reports Twitter Hacked 250,000 passwords stolen James Craner Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Feb 2, 2013 06:55 AM
Obama orders federal pay freeze lifted, $1,000,000,000 in increases next year thewitt Politics, Religion, Social Issues 40 Dec 31, 2012 02:03 PM
Steve Jobs' Home Burglarized, Suspect Arrested After $60,000 in Property Stolen [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 168 Aug 25, 2012 09:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC