Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

YouTube App Updated with 'Send to TV' Feature, Now Pairs with Smart TVs and Consoles

Google today updated its YouTube for iOS app, making its "Send to TV" feature available for the iPhone and the iPad.

Send to TV lets users pair iDevices with televisions that support Google TV, allowing YouTube content to be streamed directly to the television. The functionality of Send to TV is similar to Apple's AirPlay, without the need for an Apple TV.

With the new feature, YouTube users on the same Wi-Fi network can control video playback on the TV and create playlists using the app. Send to TV also functions with both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, though use with consoles requires manual pairing with the iOS app.

YouTube has also been updated with YouTube Capture integration, stability improvements, and improved streaming over slow Wi-Fi connections.

The universal YouTube app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube App Updated with 'Send to TV' Feature, Now Pairs with Smart TVs and Consoles
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Would love the ability to reply to comments. That would be the cherry on top of the already delicious app.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

If only my TV, that I bought in 2006, would fail on me, I could buy a smart TV and use the streaming feature.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Pretty soon, some user is going to discover a gesture that pulls the YouTube UI up to reveal the latest version of Android running in the background.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
kako
macrumors member

So they ban the ability to use AirPlay by overriding the normal video player, and then develop this whole stupid crap for Samsung TVs.

Clap clap Google.
kako is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:03 PM   #6
DirtySocks85
macrumors Demi-God

So, no Wii U? Lame.
DirtySocks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The functionality of Send to TV is similar to Apple's AirPlay, without the need for an Apple TV but with the need to purchase Google TV or select Samsung TV models.
There fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
Would love the ability to reply to comments. That would be the cherry on top of the already delicious app.
No good can come from this. Although, it is curious that such a basic feature has not been implemented.
Yujenisis is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:04 PM   #8
LizChud
macrumors newbie

Youtube is a lot faster for me. I couldn't watch ANYTHING before. I am very pleased with this update!!
LizChud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:59 PM   #9
agentkow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kako View Post
So they ban the ability to use AirPlay by overriding the normal video player, and then develop this whole stupid crap for Samsung TVs.

Clap clap Google.
Though the YouTube iOS app first premiered without AirPlay, they have since added it and thankfully, it works very well.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
trainwrecka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkow View Post
Though the YouTube iOS app first premiered without AirPlay, they have since added it and thankfully, it works very well.
I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the app. I have a feeling you are talking about "AirPlay Mirroring" rather than the old way YouTube used to AirPlay (with the icon only).
trainwrecka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:07 PM   #11
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Jasmine has been my go to app. Guess I will be dropping that app now and going back to youtube app

2011 13'' MB Air || 32GB Black Iphone 5 (VZW) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
adam044
macrumors 65816

I actually stumbled upon this yesterday before the app was updated when I was using the mobile website on my PS3 it asked if I wanted to pair with my iPhone so I did it. Neat feature if you don't have an Apple TV, which I do though
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:06 PM   #13
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Works great. However I have been using imediashare and I find loading YouTube on my tv takes longer in order to use the native app.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Clap clap Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrecka View Post
I don't see the AirPlay icon anywhere in the app. I have a feeling you are talking about "AirPlay Mirroring" rather than the old way YouTube used to AirPlay (with the icon only).
Huh?

You can still AirPlay right from the YouTube App:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	400030  
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:47 AM   #15
Jeaz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkow View Post
No, it doesn't work very well. It still doesn't allow background play, so it requires you to have to YouTube app being the active app at all times while watching. You can't even lock/turn off the screen. It's a very poor implementation of AirPlay, and I'm 100% sure they do it on purpose to make their own solutions not looks so bad.

Last edited by Jeaz; Mar 1, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Jeaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:47 AM   #16
tarun101
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Clap clap Google.
Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.
tarun101 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #17
macUser2007
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaz View Post
... It's a very poor implementation of AirPlay, and I'm 100% sure they do it on purpose to make their own solutions not looks so bad.
Apple should have opened AirPlay, or made licensing it much more attractive.

Instead, they walled it off and now Google (together with Netflix) has come up with an OPEN solution, which likely will dominate the market in a couple of years.

Is it good for Google? Sure.

But it's Apple's greed that makes it possible.
macUser2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:24 PM   #18
agentkow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrecka View Post
I have an iPhone 4 and the original iPad, so I'm definitely not using AirPlay mirroring to make it work. It's there, and the device can even go to sleep and it keeps playing.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 04:06 AM   #19
cosmic68
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarun101 View Post
Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.
How do you control a PS3? I've added the code from the Ps3 into a website, my account is now on the PS3, but no option to control it from iPhone app..?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 05:19 AM   #20
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macUser2007 View Post
Instead, they walled it off and now Google (together with Netflix) has come up with an OPEN solution, which likely will dominate the market in a couple of years.
Is this done with DLNA or with some proprietary Samsung stuff?
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:57 PM   #21
macUser2007
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke lahti View Post
Is this done with DLNA or with some proprietary Samsung stuff?
Neither.

take a look at the description here:

http://www.dial-multiscreen.org
Old Mar 2, 2013, 01:44 PM   #22
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic68 View Post
How do you control a PS3? I've added the code from the Ps3 into a website, my account is now on the PS3, but no option to control it from iPhone app..?
You must also pair your iPhone with your PS3. To do this go into the "sign in & settings" and select "pair device". Then go into your iPhone YouTube app settings, select "pair YouTube TV", and input the code it gives you on your PS3.

Why the app can't be smart and automatically detect devices registered to your account is beyond me.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:40 PM   #23
jeremiah256
macrumors regular

If you still can't stream your purchased videos to one of the game consoles, its still not ready for prime time. Most people already have an XBox or PlayStation. The YouTube app on the PS3 doesn't allow me to play purchased videos. Can't speak for the XBox.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 02:05 AM   #24
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macUser2007 View Post
Neither.

take a look at the description here:

http://www.dial-multiscreen.org
So it's proprietary stuff from Netflix?
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 04:22 AM   #25
macUser2007
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke lahti View Post
So it's proprietary stuff from Netflix?
What part of "OPEN" is unclear here?

There are bunch of companies on board, but it is pushed primarily by Netflix and Google. But also by Hulu, Sony, Samsung, etc..

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion