Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
UK
So I ordered a MacBook Air 11" off the Apple refurbished store. I have had it for about three weeks now and it seems to have a really weak hinge like the person in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3vEfZznH18 Do you think I should take it back to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement? Or is this not covered by the refurbished warranty? Is there any way to manually tighten the hinge by taking apart the MacBook and tightening a screw or something?

Thanks in advance
James
:apple:

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
So I ordered a MacBook Air 11" off the Apple refurbished store. I have had it for about three weeks now and it seems to have a really weak hinge like the person in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3vEfZznH18 Do you think I should take it back to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement? Or is this not covered by the refurbished warranty? Is there any way to manually tighten the hinge by taking apart the MacBook and tightening a screw or something?

Thanks in advance
James
:apple:

that would drive me nuts. genius bar time

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
UK
But do you think that they will accept thismas a real claim or a time waster?

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2011
Is this an issue? I just got myself a new 13" MBA 2012 and when I hold it like in video, and shake it - the lid/screen will fall back to the point where it cannot go further. But when I hold it with the lid open and the screen facing down it does not fall back. Do I need to get the hinge tightened? Though this was normal behaviour?

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
UK
No I will push the screen back past 100 degrees and it will flop down to around 150 just by the amazing force of gravity :) :apple:

Fault or just perfection of design so I can open it with one finger but not get the right viewing angle?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I've had about 10 of these 11" jobs

most of them have weak hinges. If it doesn't flop during normal use so what?

If i move it quickly the screen will move.

Solution:

Don't move it quickly.

Also, I presently have one with a Samsung screen. I do like them better than the LGs.

So what do you think the odds will be I will get another Samsung if I bring it in and they replace it (they have to replace it) :D

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
But do you think that they will accept thismas a real claim or a time waster?

Trust me, NOTHING to apple is a time waster!!! I went to apple because HALF of my iPhone power button didn't work because of the way I pressed it, but the other half did. They replaced it without any questions! I always say to myself, apple is a huge company who has so much money. A trade in will cost them absolutely nothing, but what you're paying 1000$ or so is definitely worth a change.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Trust me, NOTHING to apple is a time waster!!! I went to apple because HALF of my iPhone power button didn't work because of the way I pressed it, but the other half did. They replaced it without any questions! I always say to myself, apple is a huge company who has so much money. A trade in will cost them absolutely nothing, but what you're paying 1000$ or so is definitely worth a change.

I know that Apple customer service is good however I think I may just be being ocd and they will laugh at me :) I don't want that!!

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I could understand if the lid just did this, but the guy in the video is literally holding it upside down. If you have to do that, to cause this issue, its not really an issue.

Seems to not apply to the OP, however

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.