Best Buy Trade-In - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:26 AM   #1
LAWandHOARDER
macrumors newbie

Best Buy Trade-In

I just had my first experience at Best Buy using their Trade-In Program. They gave me $260 for my iPhone 4s 16GB Verizon and I also had a $50 gift card that I signed up for that was available for my next upgrade.

So basically I was able to upgrade to an iPhone 5 32GB for free. It was a quick, smooth transaction in the store and I highly recommend it to anyone that isn't just wanting to sell their phone for cash.
LAWandHOARDER is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:12 AM   #2
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWandHOARDER View Post
I just had my first experience at Best Buy using their Trade-In Program. They gave me $260 for my iPhone 4s 16GB Verizon and I also had a $50 gift card that I signed up for that was available for my next upgrade.

So basically I was able to upgrade to an iPhone 5 32GB for free. It was a quick, smooth transaction in the store and I highly recommend it to anyone that isn't just wanting to sell their phone for cash.
The go for upwards of $300 on ebay. No immediate gratification but certainly you get more cash in the end:
ZombiePete is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiePete View Post
The go for upwards of $300 on ebay. No immediate gratification but certainly you get more cash in the end:
take out your ebay fees and shipping and you are about the same. Craigslist is the best place to sell
mattopotamus is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
take out your ebay fees and shipping and you are about the same. Craigslist is the best place to sell
This.

Plus you don't run the risk of a buyer finding a "scuff" on the phone and raising all kinds of eBay and PayPal chargeback hell...

Craigslist at a SAFE location is awesome. If you're dumb enough to meet someone in a back alley, you get what you deserve. Be safe and CL is 100% safe right back.

Trading in costs you more profits, but you can be dumb with no repercussions.
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5
617aircav
macrumors 68020

This was actually a good trade in. Lol at you saying you upgraded for free though.
617aircav is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:48 AM   #6
comptr
macrumors 6502

I also used Best Buy trade in last month and it was a quick way for me to get the most for my old android phone plus I got to use the right away for iPhone 5 accessories as Best Buy had no 64gig iPhone 5's in stock.
comptr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hassle, fraud, paypal, ebay fees. Taking $250 or so is a no brainer.
Jalopybox is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 07:58 AM   #8
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopybox View Post
Hassle, fraud, paypal, ebay fees. Taking $250 or so is a no brainer.
Never had any issues selling on ebay; I do it all the time.
ZombiePete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:10 PM   #9
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Never had any issues selling on ebay; I do it all the time.
Yeah but 300 minis fees is closer to 250. EBay carries a small risk from a dishonest buyer.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Ann P
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Agreed! Sold my 4S for $340. Met buyer at Starbucks. It only took 10 mins of my time and immediate cash in hand. Best Buy...no thanks.
Ann P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:34 PM   #11
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
Agreed! Sold my 4S for $340. Met buyer at Starbucks. It only took 10 mins of my time and immediate cash in hand. Best Buy...no thanks.
Why I always sell on Craigslist, I would never buy haha. I am way to OCD to buy a used cell phone.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:09 PM   #12
vonWachtstain
macrumors regular

We just switched to Verizon so I had to sell our 4S. First my wife's white 4S with box and all never used accessories went for $400. Then mine black 4S with iphone 4 box (I mixed them up) and all used accessories for $400. And one week later my sister's black 4S with box and no accessories for $400. Do you see where I go with this? All phones were like new with not a scratch on them. All were still on warranty. Craigslist is the best way to sell it but you have to be smart about it and watch out for trouble.
vonWachtstain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:56 PM   #13
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonWachtstain View Post
We just switched to Verizon so I had to sell our 4S. First my wife's white 4S with box and all never used accessories went for $400. Then mine black 4S with iphone 4 box (I mixed them up) and all used accessories for $400. And one week later my sister's black 4S with box and no accessories for $400. Do you see where I go with this? All phones were like new with not a scratch on them. All were still on warranty. Craigslist is the best way to sell it but you have to be smart about it and watch out for trouble.
Also CL prices are not universal. Depends on supply and demand in your area. In my are you won't get more than 230 for iPhone 4s 16gb. The iPhone 5 will fetch you less than 500.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:31 PM   #14
vonWachtstain
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Also CL prices are not universal. Depends on supply and demand in your area. In my are you won't get more than 230 for iPhone 4s 16gb. The iPhone 5 will fetch you less than 500.
While I dont doubt it I also want to point out its up to you how much you will sell it for. I refused countless people offering me 150-380. I held out. If you have nice phone dont sell it cheap. You are still paying for that contract. No need to subsidize phone for somebody else. Its tough I know.
vonWachtstain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:23 AM   #15
bidwalj
macrumors 6502a

Agreed with Craigslist. I been selling iDevices on there since the first iphone and macs even before that. I never had an issue. You just have to be smart and meet at a safe place. Craigslist crime has spiked a lot in recent years. Meeting at a police station is good place to meet. You aren't doing anything wrong and police officers even encourage it.
bidwalj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:01 PM   #16
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonWachtstain View Post
While I dont doubt it I also want to point out its up to you how much you will sell it for. I refused countless people offering me 150-380. I held out. If you have nice phone dont sell it cheap. You are still paying for that contract. No need to subsidize phone for somebody else. Its tough I know.
You could hold out, but after a week or two, you may just sell it. Depends how much the money is needed. Also, if others are selling it for less than you, it may be a while.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:12 PM   #17
jayrflow
macrumors regular

I use Craigslist often. What I do is I come with a buddy of mine and we meet at a safe public location. I also come with one of those pens to check the money to see if they're real or counterfeit. I let the person know in advanced about the pen so they won't feel some type of way. I actually said that to one person and never heard from him again lol
jayrflow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:17 PM   #18
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
This.

Plus you don't run the risk of a buyer finding a "scuff" on the phone and raising all kinds of eBay and PayPal chargeback hell...

Craigslist at a SAFE location is awesome. If you're dumb enough to meet someone in a back alley, you get what you deserve. Be safe and CL is 100% safe right back.

Trading in costs you more profits, but you can be dumb with no repercussions.
Good points, whenever I deal craiglist i always make sure to bring my Smith & Wesson .40 sub incase any crazies are out there.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:52 PM   #19
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerr69 View Post
Good points, whenever I deal craiglist i always make sure to bring my Smith & Wesson .40 sub incase any crazies are out there.
Not for craigslist, but I carry my 9mm holstered on my waist in plain view everywhere I go.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #20
maricc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Not for craigslist, but I carry my 9mm holstered on my waist in plain view everywhere I go.
Thank god I'm not American
maricc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:34 PM   #21
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maricc View Post
Why? I am a responsible citizen in the military, I'm not a danger to anyone.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:57 AM   #22
maliu
macrumors 6502

The ones to worry about are possibly those who don't open carry. :-)
maliu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:05 AM   #23
Ann P
macrumors 68000

About to turn into another gun debate in 3...2...
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:15 AM   #24
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maricc View Post
He must be one of those people who want to wait for the police to arrive if someone is commiting a crime against him or his family.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:36 AM   #25
RenoG
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwalj View Post
Agreed with Craigslist. I been selling iDevices on there since the first iphone and macs even before that. I never had an issue. You just have to be smart and meet at a safe place. Craigslist crime has spiked a lot in recent years. Meeting at a police station is good place to meet. You aren't doing anything wrong and police officers even encourage it.
^^ this is me too I've been using CL since, well forever. For all electronics/ gadgets I meet at Starbucks because they have free wifi and I can test it a little more and you can plug stuff in.

I hate ebay because I don't like giving one third of my money away. To avoid getting raped by ebay/paypal you have to include the fees in your sell price which pushes the item above it value and you end up with no bids.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone