Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

T-Mobile Retaliates Against AT&T's Negative Ad Campaign With New Anti-AT&T Ads

Tmonews reports that T-Mobile is prepping an anti-AT&T ad campaign in retaliation against the full page anti-T-Mobile ads that AT&T released last week.

AT&T's ads, which were posted in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today, criticized T-Mobile for dropped calls and slow download speeds.

T-Mobile's retaliatory ads question why AT&T attempted to buy the carrier if T-Mobile's network is so unsatisfactory.

The war between AT&T and T-Mobile began in January, when T-Mobile CEO John Legere called the AT&T network "crap," though the relationship between the two carriers soured after AT&T failed to purchase T-Mobile following objections from the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice.

T-Mobile is currently in the process of restructuring, with a plan to eliminate device subsidies and initiate lower monthly plan costs. The company plans to offer Apple products at some point in 2013.

According to Tmonews, the ads are proof prints that have been sent to T-Mobile for final approval, which means they could hit newspapers at any time.

Article Link: T-Mobile Retaliates Against AT&T's Negative Ad Campaign With New Anti-AT&T Ads
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:54 PM   #2
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Idiots. They want to buy your customers, not your network. Who works at T-Mobile?
unplugme71 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
ArchAndroid
macrumors member

It seems T-Mobile may have won this little tete-a-tete.

I don't know much about US networks but AT&T comes off looking pretty bad for resorting to negative tactics and being one upped.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Kudos to T-Mobile. Those AT&T ads were out of order and also completely flawed.

People in glass houses...
Jsameds is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Idiots. They want to buy your customers, not your network. Who works at T-Mobile?
Say what you want.. If T-mobile mimics its Euro spec pricing in America, I guarantee we'll all be switching to the b T
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #6
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Wow. Adverts actually worth reading, for a change.

Pass the popcorn.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #7
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

I'm happy now that AT&T never bought T-Mobile. Originally I supported it, but oh how ignorant I was.

This war is pretty entertaining though, and hopefully forces both companies to become more competitive.
viperGTS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
tigres
macrumors 68040

I love t mobile. Hope to be back with them soon
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Raftysworld
macrumors regular

And yet, when it comes down to it, AT&T has the iPhone and T-Mobile does not, so everyone will choose AT&T anyway.
Raftysworld is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #10
rcjh22
macrumors member

AT&T deserves this after their unnecessary ads attacking T-Mobile. I think they are getting worried about T-Mobile's new pricing.
rcjh22 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #11
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

This is funny
XboxMySocks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
goobot
macrumors 68040

AT&T straight up said they wanted them for the spectrum.
goobot is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:59 PM   #13
SirYossi
macrumors member

Problem with T Mobile

Problem with T Mobile unless you are in a city were they are covered there coverage sucks - not sure if they are hurting or what they just removed several of there towers in the area were i live and almost completely disappeared. I think why AT&T wanted them was for there tower coverage - cheaper to buy out a company and take over there towers then to lease and buy new towers. The cost per tower of a buy out would be a fraction of the cost of building new towers to cover more area. All phone companys suck as do cable company all they want is total domination and really do not care about the customer all they really care is the bottom line make as much money as possible while screwing the customer of over bloated plans and poor service. T Mobile is only as good as the coverage - watch out for hidden costs they will try to under cut the competition then bit you in the ass later - they all do it in one form or another.
SirYossi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:59 PM   #14
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Don't confuse perception with reality. This is a public perception game being played here.
smithrh is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:59 PM   #15
Jack97
macrumors regular

All these "cheap shot" adverts are beyond pathetic - people need to grow up.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:00 PM   #16
madsci954
macrumors 68000

HAHA! Take that AT&T! Too bad T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage where I live and work, else I'd switch in a heartbeat.
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:01 PM   #17
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They actually wanted to buy their wireless spectrum (with the customers as a bonus), but the average consumer doesn't know that. The ads are fine from that perspective.
paradox00 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:01 PM   #18
macrumors 65816

I hate negative ads .... please advertise your products, show why your products are great - do not attack your competition, that is not what I want to hear - I want to hear what you have to offer me, not negative BS (this goes to both, AT&T and T-Mobile and also all the other companies). If you have to resort to this kind of attacks, that just shows me you don't have to offer anything (same for the I'm a Mac ads - but at least they were somewhat funny)
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #19
bbplayer5
macrumors 68020

Everyone I know that has T-Mobile, likes the network.

Just sayin.
bbplayer5 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #20
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apparently T-Mobile has enough customers who use that "crappy" network that AT&T wants to buy them. Also it looks like AT&T needs to buy customers instead of letting them freely choose their network.
3N16MA is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #21
SirYossi
macrumors member

Attack adds they all do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjh22 View Post
AT&T deserves this after their unnecessary ads attacking T-Mobile. I think they are getting worried about T-Mobile's new pricing.
All phone companys attack each other it is the nature of the business attact as many people u can so u can screw them laters TMoble is not different then Verizon, Sprint or AT&T they all do it in the name of who can dominate the other not giving a care about the customer. No I REPEAT NO phone company cares about you as the consumer all the Care about is $ nothing else nothing more.
SirYossi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #22
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

maybe we will get lucky and they will get in a competition to undercut each other with prices
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:04 PM   #23
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
T-mobile has great pricing, I wish their network weren't trash.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:06 PM   #24
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Carriers can banter back and forth as much as they want. If it results in lower prices, then its all good. T-mobile may not have great national coverage but if they can deliver LTE in a few cities then in those areas they'll be much cheaper than AT&T.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:07 PM   #25
SirYossi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
T-mobile has great pricing, I wish their network weren't trash.
they do not want to pay for tower space either - the local community lost a T Moble tower due to the fact they wanted to bully the community into a cheaper tower rate the community said no and told them to remove the tower giving the spot to Cricket who did not complain about the price of the tower rental.
SirYossi is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion