Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:06 PM   #1
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Work Shoe Recommendations

I work in an environment where I need decent looking, but hard wearing, work shoes.

Upon taking my new job about eight months ago, I bought a pair of Sketchers black Oxford shoes. And I have to say, I'm not at all happy with how they have held up. Despite being worn only ~ 24 hours per week, regular cleaning with appropriate polishes and waxes, and daily use of shoe trees - the shoes are rapidly falling apart.

The leather has split, badly, in several places - despite only minor contact with metal objects. In a couple of places the upper is separating from the (rubber) sole. And in a several areas it appears that the "coating" of top surface is separating from the underlying leather.

I don't mind taking time and effort to look after my shoes. I don't think I'm particularly hard on them - although my work environment does mean I will sometimes get water or other contaminants lightly dropped on the upper. And I don't mind investing in (multiple) pairs of good quality shoes. The main (work) requirement is that they should have soles that are non-slip, and that they should be suitable for an environment where I'll be on my feet 6-8 hours at a stretch. The job is almost 100% inside, walking on a polished VCT tile floor. Toe-protection would be nice, but is not a requirement.

I'd like to be able to buy some new shoes, confident that I'll be able to get multiple years of decent service out of them. Any suggestions of brands and/or models I should be looking at?
vrDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Vader2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrDrew View Post
I work in an environment where I need decent looking, but hard wearing, work shoes.

Upon taking my new job about eight months ago, I bought a pair of Sketchers black Oxford shoes. And I have to say, I'm not at all happy with how they have held up. Despite being worn only ~ 24 hours per week, regular cleaning with appropriate polishes and waxes, and daily use of shoe trees - the shoes are rapidly falling apart.

The leather has split, badly, in several places - despite only minor contact with metal objects. In a couple of places the upper is separating from the (rubber) sole. And in a several areas it appears that the "coating" of top surface is separating from the underlying leather.

I don't mind taking time and effort to look after my shoes. I don't think I'm particularly hard on them - although my work environment does mean I will sometimes get water or other contaminants lightly dropped on the upper. And I don't mind investing in (multiple) pairs of good quality shoes. The main (work) requirement is that they should have soles that are non-slip, and that they should be suitable for an environment where I'll be on my feet 6-8 hours at a stretch. The job is almost 100% inside, walking on a polished VCT tile floor. Toe-protection would be nice, but is not a requirement.

I'd like to be able to buy some new shoes, confident that I'll be able to get multiple years of decent service out of them. Any suggestions of brands and/or models I should be looking at?
I have had the same experience with Sketchers. They look great and are comfortable at first and then go to heck in a hurry. I tend to look for quality shoes on close out. Kenneth Cole usually has a large selection of clearance on their site. Those have probably been the longest lasting for me.
Vader2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:25 PM   #3
eric/

I like Red Wings for work boots.

They have different options for different stuff (waterproof, electricproof, steel toe, etc....)

oh nvm.

I am a huge Allen Edmonds fan, so maybe look into those?
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:23 PM   #4
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Have you looked into Danners? They are pricey but worth every penny.
duneriderltr450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:11 AM   #5
waloshin
macrumors 68030

Shoes For Crews
waloshin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:07 AM   #6
RawBert
macrumors 68000

Nike Conquer ACG (Air Max)
I wear these to the office. Super comfortable, light and durable. I liked them so much I bought five pairs in a few colors.

Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
ejb190
macrumors 65816

I suggest checking out a place that carries Red Wing, Carhartt, Dickies, and other "Blue Collar" clothing. There is a place near me that carries a lot of different shoes for police, construction, outdoors, and so on. Find a place like that and ask them what they recommend. They cater to people who abuse shoes - like me! Red Wing, Wolverine, and some of the other work shoe companies also make oxford style work shoes.

I wear Timberland hiking boots. A new pair every two years. And by the time I am done, they are shot!

Last edited by ejb190; Mar 7, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
ejb190 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Interesting. I was going to suggest Skechers, because I've owned several pairs and they've all lasted me a LONG time, and are VERY comfortable. I have about five pairs in my current rotation.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I think part of the problem may have been that I "overwear" the shoes - ie. wear them sometimes two days in succession, without letting them thoroughly dry out between wearings.

I'm going to check out the Red Wings and a couple of other brands.

Thanks again.
vrDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:58 AM   #10
spencers
macrumors 68020

Allen Edmonds

Alden
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:46 AM   #11
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020

Red Wings, definitely. I have a pair of steel toe boots which are broken in now. They feel like a pair of heavy socks. Oh so comfy.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion