Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Gavzooka
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Should I wait?

I'm due an upgrade at the moment. I currently have a Samsung S3 and as I've now gone all Apple throughout the house, it's logical that I go for an iPhone in my opinion.....plus I'm fed up with the unreliability of Android devices, they are good....but I'm fed up with constant tweaks and then resetting things because of buggy software....I want something that just works!

My question is whether in peoples opinion, should I wait for the next iPhone to come out?

Some rumour the next iPhone is going to be out in June...which is ideal as I have 2 contracts in the house that I get the upgrades from...both 2 year contracts and end in different years....my other contract ends in June next year, the current one just ended....that means if I wait until June, going forward, I upgrade every 12 months. However, I don't want to wait until August/September onwards for another phone........this is my problem...plus I'm impatient!

Thanks in advance...
__________________
27" iMac 2012 - 1Tb Fusion - 32Gb - 680MX iPad 3 64Gb 3G & 16Gb 3G Macbook Pro 13" 2012 - 500Gb 2Tb Time Capsule iPhone 5 64Gb =Empty Bank Account
Gavzooka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:44 AM   #2
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
i decided not to wait and upgraded right away when the phone came out. i mean its up to you. i cant see anything huge that would make the next model really worth waiting for.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Hail Caesar
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
If you need it and want it get it, if you continually wait on new tech releases you will never buy anything. iPhone 5 is great phone and will be supported for a few years.
Hail Caesar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
JaySoul
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I'd probably get the iPhone 5 now, but wouldn't wait too much longer - otherwise it makes more sense to wait from May onwards.
JaySoul is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:51 AM   #5
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockland/Manhattan/Bay Area
My opinion is to wait since you are halfway through the life cycle of the iPhone 5... however, it's just an opinion and ultimately it's your call since it's your money
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:33 AM   #6
simply stunning
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I personally would buy the phone. Now if it where 2 months from now, I would wait. The thought being that I can tough it out for a little while, but your looking at about 6 months before the time when they historically release there new phone. (at least the 4S and 5, not counting the original through the iPhone4). So I would say I am good to wait to a point, but it does make the decision harder as you are in the middle of the cycle.

Good luck to you!
simply stunning is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Knockworstface
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I'm on the iPhone 4 now and I've decided to just wait until the iPhone 5s is released until I upgrade. As much as I love the iPhone 5 I'll just wait until the 5s is available so I'll have the latest and greatest at that point. My iPhone 3G died on 7/13/11 so I had to upgrade to the iPhone 4 and 2 months later the iPhone 4S was released. I just want a super fast iPhone that will be future proof for a long time. I think with iPhone 5s will be that device.
Knockworstface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:56 PM   #8
nefan65
macrumors 65816
 
nefan65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I wouldn't wait. Go now! Quickly before they're all gone!!!!!
__________________
20" Aluminum iMac, 2.0/4GB | MacbookAir 1.7 i7/8GB | iPhone 6/16GB
nefan65 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:24 PM   #9
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a
 
R.Stoychev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
If you need it and want it get it !
__________________
iPhone 5 white, iPhone 4 black
Google nexus 7 2013 32gb LTE
R.Stoychev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:27 PM   #10
ZombiePete
macrumors 65816
 
ZombiePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockworstface View Post
i'm on the iphone 4 now and i've decided to just wait until the iphone 5s is released until i upgrade.
+1
ZombiePete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #11
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miami, FL
I just got the iPhone 5 last week. I actually paid full retail; unlocked. Do what you want. I couldn't wait until August? September? I'm happy. It sure beats my 4S in everything. Well worth the money.
__________________
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD ; iPhone 5 16 GB ; iPad Mini 16 GB
RotaryP7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Cody21
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN
It's completely up to you. Although, if I was in your situation, I would just get it now. If history repeats itself and the rumors are correct, the 5S is just gonna be incremental upgrade.
__________________
13" rMBP, late 2013 ; iPhone 5s, 32GB, White/Silver ; iPad Air, 16GB, White/Silver
Cody21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:47 PM   #13
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Caesar View Post
If you need it and want it get it, if you continually wait on new tech releases you will never buy anything. iPhone 5 is great phone and will be supported for a few years.
Yea but with a new iPhone coming out possibly in 3 months it would be a smart consumer decision to wait.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Sedrick
macrumors 68030
 
Sedrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Time waiting for the new release is experienced like dog years. It could very well be 6-8 months (if the past is any indication) and that is a long, long time. Time you could be diggin' your new phone. Now if you have a 4S, for example, I'd wait for the 5S.
__________________
iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2
Sedrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Mellisaray
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Caesar View Post
If you need it and want it get it, if you continually wait on new tech releases you will never buy anything. iPhone 5 is great phone and will be supported for a few years.
yes, i agree with your opinion, if you really need one, do not consider too much, just go to get it!
Mellisaray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:56 PM   #16
boomhower
macrumors 65816
 
boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Why not just sell the S3 and buy a used iPhone? Should be able to get $300 or so for it and add some cash and you wouldn't spend anymore out of pocket than buying one on contract. Then you have the upgrade available whenever the 5S comes out.
__________________
2013 Macbook Pro 13 Retina iPad Air 2 iPhone 6 Gen 3 Apple TV
boomhower is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:49 PM   #17
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I would defiantly wait as it is 3 months to the iOS 7 announcement and 6 months from today to the iPhone 5S announcement/release.
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:40 AM   #18
Umi71
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
iOS 7 can teh standard 5 run also so no need to wait for that, and 5s depends if you are satisfied what teh 5 do now and dont need any new stuff that it can brign but I don't think the 5s will bring very much new to table.
Umi71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Gavzooka
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Thanks all....I jumped in feet first....now a proud owner of an iPhone 5 :-)
__________________
27" iMac 2012 - 1Tb Fusion - 32Gb - 680MX iPad 3 64Gb 3G & 16Gb 3G Macbook Pro 13" 2012 - 500Gb 2Tb Time Capsule iPhone 5 64Gb =Empty Bank Account
Gavzooka is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:44 AM   #20
abz1981
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavzooka View Post
Thanks all....I jumped in feet first....now a proud owner of an iPhone 5 :-)
Congrats You have made the right choice.
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:46 AM   #21
Agent-P
macrumors 68020
 
Agent-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavzooka View Post
Thanks all....I jumped in feet first....now a proud owner of an iPhone 5 :-)
Congrats! And remember, even if the 5S is released tomorrow, your 5 will still be just as good as it is today.
Agent-P is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:10 PM   #22
megany
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I am in the same situation, want to get rid of my buggy Droid and make the switch. My question though is when will the price of iPhone 5 drop in relation to the 5s release...? I don't want to pay $199 now (w/my upgrade) for something that might be $99 in a month...
megany is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Christian 5G
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange County
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian 5G
Same problem want to go get the 5 but something holds back to wait untill June July.... For me I am very interested in fingerprint sensor that hopefully will be included in next one.
Christian 5G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:53 PM   #24
617aircav
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by megany View Post
I am in the same situation, want to get rid of my buggy Droid and make the switch. My question though is when will the price of iPhone 5 drop in relation to the 5s release...? I don't want to pay $199 now (w/my upgrade) for something that might be $99 in a month...
I guess you need to wait till the next phone is put. The price won't really drop till then.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:25 PM   #25
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by megany View Post
I am in the same situation, want to get rid of my buggy Droid and make the switch. My question though is when will the price of iPhone 5 drop in relation to the 5s release...? I don't want to pay $199 now (w/my upgrade) for something that might be $99 in a month...
The price wont drop until the iPhone 5S is released.
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I wait??? cperchard iMac 4 Oct 8, 2013 09:40 AM
iPhone: Stuck in revoery loop after downgrade ... please wait... please wait ManiacZack Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Aug 27, 2013 04:12 PM
To wait for not to wait... cMBP vs. rMBP PatientWaiter MacBook Pro 27 Mar 27, 2013 08:05 AM
Wait for the 5s? ant the ninja iPhone 23 Dec 5, 2012 04:45 PM
To wait or not to wait for the retina 13 inch? papetorh MacBook Pro 3 Oct 15, 2012 02:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC