Should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gavzooka, Mar 7, 2013.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    #1
    I'm due an upgrade at the moment. I currently have a Samsung S3 and as I've now gone all Apple throughout the house, it's logical that I go for an iPhone in my opinion.....plus I'm fed up with the unreliability of Android devices, they are good....but I'm fed up with constant tweaks and then resetting things because of buggy software....I want something that just works!

    My question is whether in peoples opinion, should I wait for the next iPhone to come out?

    Some rumour the next iPhone is going to be out in June...which is ideal as I have 2 contracts in the house that I get the upgrades from...both 2 year contracts and end in different years....my other contract ends in June next year, the current one just ended....that means if I wait until June, going forward, I upgrade every 12 months. However, I don't want to wait until August/September onwards for another phone........this is my problem...plus I'm impatient!

    Thanks in advance...
     
  2. macrumors 68030

    dictoresno

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2012
    Location:
    NJ
    #2
    i decided not to wait and upgraded right away when the phone came out. i mean its up to you. i cant see anything huge that would make the next model really worth waiting for.
     
  3. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2013
    #3
    If you need it and want it get it, if you continually wait on new tech releases you will never buy anything. iPhone 5 is great phone and will be supported for a few years.
     
  4. macrumors 65816

    JaySoul

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    #4
    I'd probably get the iPhone 5 now, but wouldn't wait too much longer - otherwise it makes more sense to wait from May onwards.
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2008
    Location:
    Rockland/Manhattan/Bay Area
    #5
    My opinion is to wait since you are halfway through the life cycle of the iPhone 5... however, it's just an opinion and ultimately it's your call since it's your money
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    #6
    I personally would buy the phone. Now if it where 2 months from now, I would wait. The thought being that I can tough it out for a little while, but your looking at about 6 months before the time when they historically release there new phone. (at least the 4S and 5, not counting the original through the iPhone4). So I would say I am good to wait to a point, but it does make the decision harder as you are in the middle of the cycle.

    Good luck to you!
     
  7. macrumors regular

    Knockworstface

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    #7
    I'm on the iPhone 4 now and I've decided to just wait until the iPhone 5s is released until I upgrade. As much as I love the iPhone 5 I'll just wait until the 5s is available so I'll have the latest and greatest at that point. My iPhone 3G died on 7/13/11 so I had to upgrade to the iPhone 4 and 2 months later the iPhone 4S was released. I just want a super fast iPhone that will be future proof for a long time. I think with iPhone 5s will be that device. :apple::D
     
  8. macrumors 65816

    nefan65

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    #8
    I wouldn't wait. Go now! Quickly before they're all gone!!!!!
     
  9. macrumors 6502a

    R.Stoychev

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2012
  10. macrumors 68000

    ZombiePete

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    #10
    +1
     
  11. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2011
    Location:
    Miami, FL
    #11
    I just got the iPhone 5 last week. I actually paid full retail; unlocked. Do what you want. I couldn't wait until August? September? I'm happy. It sure beats my 4S in everything. Well worth the money.
     
  12. macrumors 6502a

    Cody21

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2012
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #12
    It's completely up to you. Although, if I was in your situation, I would just get it now. If history repeats itself and the rumors are correct, the 5S is just gonna be incremental upgrade.
     
  13. Guest

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    #13
    Yea but with a new iPhone coming out possibly in 3 months it would be a smart consumer decision to wait.
     
  14. macrumors 68030

    Sedrick

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2010
    #14
    Time waiting for the new release is experienced like dog years. It could very well be 6-8 months (if the past is any indication) and that is a long, long time. Time you could be diggin' your new phone. Now if you have a 4S, for example, I'd wait for the 5S.
     
  15. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2013
    #15
    yes, i agree with your opinion, if you really need one, do not consider too much, just go to get it!:D
     
  16. macrumors 65816

    boomhower

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    #16
    Why not just sell the S3 and buy a used iPhone? Should be able to get $300 or so for it and add some cash and you wouldn't spend anymore out of pocket than buying one on contract. Then you have the upgrade available whenever the 5S comes out.
     
  17. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2011
    #17
    I would defiantly wait as it is 3 months to the iOS 7 announcement and 6 months from today to the iPhone 5S announcement/release.
     
  18. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2009
    #18
    iOS 7 can teh standard 5 run also so no need to wait for that, and 5s depends if you are satisfied what teh 5 do now and dont need any new stuff that it can brign but I don't think the 5s will bring very much new to table.
     
  19. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2013
    #19
    Thanks all....I jumped in feet first....now a proud owner of an iPhone 5 :)
     
  20. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    #20
    Congrats :D You have made the right choice. :apple:
     
  21. macrumors 68020

    Agent-P

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Location:
    Colorado
    #21
    Congrats! And remember, even if the 5S is released tomorrow, your 5 will still be just as good as it is today.
     
  22. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2013
    #22
    I am in the same situation, want to get rid of my buggy Droid and make the switch. My question though is when will the price of iPhone 5 drop in relation to the 5s release...? I don't want to pay $199 now (w/my upgrade) for something that might be $99 in a month...
     
  23. macrumors 6502

    Christian 5G

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #23
    Same problem :) want to go get the 5 but something holds back to wait untill June July.... For me I am very interested in fingerprint sensor that hopefully will be included in next one.
     
  24. macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2012
    #24
    I guess you need to wait till the next phone is put. The price won't really drop till then.
     
  25. Guest

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2010
    #25
    The price wont drop until the iPhone 5S is released.
     

Share This Page