Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook Updates News Feed With Inspiration from Mobile Devices, Rolling Out Over Several Weeks

In a media event today, Facebook announced significant changes to the way its signature News Feed is displayed to users on desktop, smartphones and tablets. The company has increased the size of shared images and video content, while also introducing several different sub feeds to allow readers to focus on certain content like photos, music, or pages you like. In addition, the newsfeed will have the same look and feel where its accessed, whether across the desktop, smartphone or tablet.
Quote:
Today we're announcing a new version of Facebook designed to reduce clutter and focus more on stories from the people you care about. You see all the stories you saw in your News Feed before, but with a fresh new look. We've completely rebuilt each story to be much more vibrant and colorful and highlight the content that your friends are sharing. Photos, news articles, maps and events all look brighter and more beautiful.
Facebook is aiming to "give everyone in the world the best personalized newspaper we can," according to founder Mark Zuckerberg. Users can sign up for a waiting list (scroll to the bottom) to get early access to the improved News Feed on the desktop, while smartphone and tablet versions will be rolling out over the next several weeks. Note: MacRumors readers can "Like" MacRumors on Facebook to get our news updates in your Facebook feed.

Article Link: Facebook Updates News Feed With Inspiration from Mobile Devices, Rolling Out Over Several Weeks
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:53 PM   #2
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
Joined the waiting list on this as soon as the page went live but I know they won't roll it out to me for a few months.
MacBookPro13" is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

In a media event today, Facebook announced significant changes to the way its signature News Feed is displayed to users on desktop, smartphones and tablets.

The company has increased the size of shared images and video content, while also introducing several different sub feeds to allow readers to focus on certain content like photos, music, or pages you like. In addition, the newsfeed will have the same look and feel where its accessed, whether across the desktop, smartphone or tablet.

ImageYouTube: video
Facebook is aiming to "give everyone in the world the best personalized newspaper we can," according to founder Mark Zuckerberg. Users can sign up for a waiting list (scroll to the bottom) to get early access to the improved News Feed on the desktop, while smartphone and tablet versions will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Note: MacRumors readers can "Like" MacRumors on Facebook to get our news updates in your Facebook feed.

Article Link: Facebook Updates Newsfeed With Inspiration from Mobile Devices, Rolling Out Over Several Weeks
Facebook looks like it was designed by coders, not designers. Pretty ugly.
winston1236 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

I want my mobile on my mobile, and my desktop on my desktop, not my mobile on my desktop. But with that said, people will complain about this for a couple of weeks then eventually get used to it and want to go back to it when they release another one and the trend will continue.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:56 PM   #5
petsk
macrumors regular

Facebook is nothing but junk.
petsk is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6
designaholic
macrumors regular

Best redesign they've done yet. Lest we forget they can't be tooooo radical, people will *still* go ape **** over this. I think it looks far more streamlined, consistent, easier to use, and they've *finally* ditched those hideous pixel icons at last.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:57 PM   #7
angrynstupid
macrumors regular

Lamo

When I want to be lame, I go to Facebook.
angrynstupid is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Stega87
macrumors newbie

yeah....a keynote for bigger pictures
Stega87 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Is it me, or could they find people that were more attractive and less with a "I'm trying not to **** my pants while I talk in front of this camera" look on their faces?
Johnf1285 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #10
CBJammin103
macrumors regular

What's with all the Facebook hate in this community? If you don't use it, then fine, but it kind of throws me off to see so many people going out of their way to slam it.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #11
LordJohnWhorfin
macrumors regular

It's redesigned by "Just Jack"
LordJohnWhorfin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:02 PM   #12
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Change scares me!!!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:03 PM   #13
teejaysyke
macrumors member

I think it looks nice.
teejaysyke is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:03 PM   #14
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrynstupid View Post
When I want to be lame, I go to Facebook.
And then come to MacRumors and tell everyone...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:04 PM   #15
LordJohnWhorfin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJammin103 View Post
What's with all the Facebook hate in this community? If you don't use it, then fine, but it kind of throws me off to see so many people going out of their way to slam it.
Will you help me with my crop? I will be harvesting soon and need help! Oh, and I just found a little fish. Poor little fish!
This garbage was driving me up the wall until I found the way to delete my facebook account for good.

Facebook is a leech business that steals personal information from unsuspecting suckers.
LordJohnWhorfin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:05 PM   #16
slffl
macrumors 65816

OMG all of the facebook haters now. The whole trend of the internet jumping on hating things ( hipsters, facebook, apple, nickel back, etc. ) is so pathetic. Grow up you kids. Facebook is great if you have actual family and friends. If not go use G+.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:06 PM   #17
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

looks great. if I only used facebook.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:12 PM   #18
designaholic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJammin103 View Post
I feel the same. Just the usual opinionated BS. I design websites, apps, and UI. Even if you hate Facebook, this is still interesting to some people.

Additionally, many people seem to expect mega radical incredible mind-blowing redesigns. Wake up... when you have that many users, and it is (despite what some feel) a big part of alot of user's daily routine, you have to tread very cautiously in terms of design and UI.

I stand by what I say in my post above, this is a good redesign.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:12 PM   #19
nazaar
macrumors 6502

wow... how innovative!!

nazaar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:13 PM   #20
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
OMG all of the facebook haters now. The whole trend of the internet jumping on hating things ( hipsters, facebook, apple, nickel back, etc. ) is so pathetic. Grow up you kids. Facebook is great if you have actual family and friends. If not go use G+.
Yep, only praise and support is allowed here! There can't possibly be legitimate criticisms of Facebook.

Some of us use Facebook and still have things we don't like about it.
rorschach is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:14 PM   #21
designaholic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Yep, only praise and support is allowed here! There can't possibly be legitimate criticisms of Facebook.
Well, people should perhaps then be critical of the design, which this is all about, NOT the actual thing in itself.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:15 PM   #22
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

I scrolled to the bottom of that link and there is no place to sign up..
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:15 PM   #23
mach
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post
Will you help me with my crop? I will be harvesting soon and need help! Oh, and I just found a little fish. Poor little fish!
This garbage was driving me up the wall until I found the way to delete my facebook account for good.

Facebook is a leech business that steals personal information from unsuspecting suckers.
Do you use any Google products? Facebook is a platform for you to share with your friends, a completely voluntary action. Google strongarms its products into a dominant position, disguising their usefulness as a method of, to use your words, 'steal[s] personal information from unsuspecting suckers.'

Not saying I dislike Google as I don't, and I do find many of their products superior to most of their alternatives. Many people feel the same way and that's what keeps them locked in. But that is their strategy.

People need to stop using the same tired, hypocritical argument against Facebook but praising Google and Google+ as an alternative when they're in the exact same business.
mach is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:16 PM   #24
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Enough of the "we don't actually have the product that we're hyping at the moment, but if you join a waiting list, we'll eventually get back to you" model.
mrgraff is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:17 PM   #25
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post

Some of us use Facebook and still have things we don't like about it.
I don't think they're saying you can't have opinions or dislike features. I surely am not. I think they're referring to the typical "If you use FB you're a loser..." statements. If you check out some other sites, like Engadget, posters are already arguing about how it's a Google + rip-off, who still uses FB except Tweeners, etc...

Just gets old...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion