Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

IDC Predicts Android Tablet Shipments Will Overtake iPad Shipments in 2013

According to a new report from research firm IDC, tablets running Google's Android operating system are poised to overtake the iPad during the course of 2013.

A surge of low cost Android-based tablets has prompted IDC to forecast worldwide tablet shipments of 190.9 million, an increase from its previous estimate of 172.4 million.

48.8% of those are expected to run Google's operating system, giving Android the plurality of the tablet marketshare by the end of the year. In comparison, Apple is expected to retain just 46% of the tablet market, while Windows and Windows RT will make up 4.7% of overall tablet shipments.

In 2012, Apple's share of the market was 51% while Android's was just 41.5%.
Quote:
"One in every two tablets shipped this quarter was below 8 inches in screen size. And in terms of shipments, we expect smaller tablets to continue growing in 2013 and beyond," said Jitesh Ubrani, Research Analyst for IDC's Tablet Tracker.

"Vendors are moving quickly to compete in this space as consumers realize that these small devices are often more ideal than larger tablets for their daily consumption habits."
By 2017, IDC forecasts that Android will have 46% of the market with Apple falling further behind with 43.5%. It is important to note that IDC's estimates are based on shipments rather than sales. Android's larger share of low cost tablet shipments may not translate into greater direct consumer sales.

IDC's newest report corroborates its January findings, where Apple's share of the market slipped to 43.6% in the fourth quarter of 2012, a significant decrease from its 51.7% share in the fourth quarter of 2011 despite increased iPad shipments overall.

Article Link: IDC Predicts Android Tablet Shipments Will Overtake iPad Shipments in 2013
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Doubtful this year.

But, it's definitely a matter of time.

Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:14 PM   #3
the-oz-man
macrumors 6502

Shipments - maybe. Sales - no.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

hold on to your butts
uknowimright is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Simmenfl
macrumors newbie

Yeah certainly able to predict the year 2017... thats just like 3 years and 9 months from now.

3 years and 9 months ago, the Tablet industry didnt even exist. Predicting what the tech market will be like in such a huge timeframe is ridiculous stupid.
Simmenfl is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Given that Apple is the sole developer of iOS devices while there are multiple Android devs, isn't this article basically saying, "More companies will inevitably outproduce one."?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:17 PM   #7
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

actually surprised they are giving Windows that little of an increase
uknowimright is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8
HockeyMike
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmenfl View Post
Yeah certainly able to predict the year 2017... thats just like 3 years and 9 months from now.

3 years and 9 months ago, the Tablet industry didnt even exist. Predicting what the tech market will be like in such a huge timeframe is ridiculous stupid.
Totally agree! So called "research" companies often guess at what the future could be, and often are wrong.
HockeyMike is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:18 PM   #9
notabadname
macrumors 65816

Again, they compare a hardware maker to generally, a software maker. No singe manufacturer of Tablets is anywhere close to overtaking Apple's market position in Tablet sales. Why they continue to compare and place such value on all manufacturers of Android tablets versus a single manufacturer of Apple iOS Tablets is beyond me.

To me, it is like comparing BMW's market share versus all other car manufacturers. We would only compare BMW to Lexus, or to Accura etc.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:19 PM   #10
applesith
macrumors 68000

This is so stupid. Projecting tablet market in for 4 years? And it assumes pretty constant landscape. Why are we even bothering looking at this?
applesith is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:20 PM   #11
norisq
macrumors newbie

2017? Really?

There might be a whole new product line that doesn't even exist right now.
Maybe google glasses, what do we know?

When a life circle of a product in the electronis industry is like 1 year, 4 years is like way too much to predict.
norisq is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Southshore
macrumors newbie

Microsoft will have Zero percent of the market in 2017

Because it will have shut down the effort by Q4 of 2015.
Southshore is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
This is so stupid. Projecting tablet market in for 4 years? And it assumes pretty constant landscape. Why are we even bothering looking at this?
No real MacRumors!

We need fuzzy home button pictures!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Shipments.....lol.....so funny.

Lets go by sales and profits.

And 2017?

By then tablets might be a thing of the past and something completely new has taken over.

These research companies just pull stuff out of their collective you know whats.
Ryth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

The fact that Apple could hold on to the undisputed #1 spot for so long, despite the significantly higher price, is pretty telling for the quality of other tablets.
Benjamins is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:23 PM   #16
HockeyMike
macrumors newbie

Android Tablets collect dust

My son has an iPad Mini, 2 of his friends have Android tablets. Both of his friends tablets collect dust in their bedrooms and they barely use them. My son uses his iPad Mini hourly, sometimes 6-8 hours out of a day. He has said his friends wish they had an iPad instead of the Android tablets. Apple makes the best hardware and eco-system, they will continue to dominate until the competitors make a better eco-system to go with the cheap hardware.
HockeyMike is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:23 PM   #17
baryon
macrumors 68030

What about in 2100? I want to know what to invest in for the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMike View Post
My son has an iPad Mini, 2 of his friends have Android tablets. Both of his friends tablets collect dust in their bedrooms and they barely use them. My son uses his iPad Mini hourly, sometimes 6-8 hours out of a day. He has said his friends wish they had an iPad instead of the Android tablets. Apple makes the best hardware and eco-system, they will continue to dominate until the competitors make a better eco-system to go with the cheap hardware.
I know many people who bought an Android tablet because it was a bit cheaper than an iPad. Then it turned out it's unusable, slow, bad battery life, bad screen, etc… and they ended up returning it or just buying an iPad instead. All those cheap tablets simply can't be that good quality, but a lot of people do buy them since they're cheaper and "have the same features" (i.e. are black rectangles with internet connectivity). They're a bit like the netbooks of the tablet world.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:24 PM   #18
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

So.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Given that Apple is the sole developer of iOS devices while there are multiple Android devs, isn't this article basically saying, "More companies will inevitably outproduce one."?
Bring back The Clones!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:26 PM   #19
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Like a near-majority of people, I want a small phone and a big tablet.
swarmster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:27 PM   #20
ConCat
Banned

Just for fun, I will predict the opposite. Game on!
ConCat is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:29 PM   #21
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMike View Post
Yep, my friends kids have 2 android tablets they got for xmas. They sit around collecting dust while the kids try to grab their parents iPhones.
Ryth is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Johnny Vegas
macrumors member

I had no idea the numbers were that close in 2012. I thought apple was crushing all competition in the tablet market.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:31 PM   #23
samcraig
macrumors G5

I think the responses are funny.

If the report said that Apple would keep/increase their lead - people wouldn't take issue with the report. At least most wouldn't.

But I agree - anything can and will happen in the next few years. But given the growth of Android and that tablets are offered in various sizes and manufacturers - the idea that marketshare will lean in favor of Android isn't surprising. Nor does it really mean anything in and of itself. It's only one important factor in the scheme of things.
samcraig is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:32 PM   #24
iapplelove
Banned

I have yet to use an android tablet I liked
iapplelove is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Well the iPad start at 100% market share in 2010, lower market share doesn't mean lower sales.

But yea, the cheap android tablet could take off. I am thinking in buying acer iconia for $150 for second tablet device in the house.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion