Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:03 PM   #1
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Gave Up on The Emotiva

Just not the right the of materials. This Tube amp looks much better, with very little effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cary 1 copy.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	402113  

Last edited by tony3d; Mar 12, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
tony3d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3d View Post
Just not the right the of materials. This Tube amp looks much better, with very little effort.
This looks pretty damn good.

Shame about the Emotiva, though. I still think you should come back to it once you have a better grasp of materials and rendering effects.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:35 AM   #3
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
This looks pretty damn good.

Shame about the Emotiva, though. I still think you should come back to it once you have a better grasp of materials and rendering effects.
Here's the latest Emotiva
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Newest Final RSP2A.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	402193  
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Renzatic
macrumors 604

It's not bad, but still looks too rendery for it to be photorealistic.

The model itself is good, but the material itself still looks kinda fake. You're going for that brushed metal look, but it pops too much, it's too stark. I found this shot to compare it against...

This one has a curved face, and it's obviously seen some use, but still. Look at how the light reflects off of it. It's not completely uniform. The brushed scratches are just barely noticeable and blend into the surface more subtly. It wouldn't hurt to fade those out a little bit, maybe throw in a light specular to break up some of the reflection along the front.

I'm hardly a pro myself here, but I think the biggest thing that separates a decent enough render from a photorealistic one are the tiny imperfections. Nothing is ever perfect or completely uniform. Right now, your stuff is a little too perfect and a little too uniform.

Last edited by Renzatic; Mar 13, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's not bad, but still looks too rendery for it to be photorealistic.

The model itself is good, but the material itself still looks kinda fake. You're going for that brushed metal look, but it pops too much, it's too stark. I found this shot to compare it against...

This one has a curved face, but still. Look at how the light reflects off of it. It's not completely uniform. The brushed scratches are just barely noticeable and blend into the surface more subtly. It wouldn't hurt to fade those out a little bit, maybe throw in a light specular to break up some of the reflection along the front.

I'm hardly a pro myself here, but I think the biggest thing that separates a decent enough render from a photorealistic one are the tiny imperfections. Nothing is ever perfect or completely uniform. Right now, your stuff is a little too perfect and a little too uniform.
Ok. Here is a real photo of the preamp. I Own it. Depending on the light the brush effect can look pretty rough. I will try backing off on though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040568.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	901.8 KB
ID:	402205  
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:42 AM   #6
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3d View Post
Ok. Here is a real photo of the preamp. I Own it. Depending on the light the brush effect can look pretty rough. I will try backing off on though.
Yeah, you're close, but still just missing that je ne sais quoi that separates the good from the great.

Like I said, really pay attention to how the light plays across the surface of your amp. How it looks faded and barely there on one side, and how it almost looks like it's scratched into the surface on the other. Ask yourself why it does that, and try to figure out how to replicate it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:46 AM   #7
tony3d
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, you're close, but still just missing that je ne sais quoi that separates the good from the great.

Like I said, really pay attention to how the light plays across the surface of your amp. How it looks faded and barely there on one side, and how it almost looks like it's scratched into the surface on the other. Ask yourself why it does that, and try to figure out how to replicate it.
I need to put a controlled point light just to the front right side of the preamp to produce a highlight. I think that will do it.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Renzatic
macrumors 604

That might help, but I still think playing around with your materials will net you much better results.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics