Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:27 PM   #1
wgnoyes
macrumors regular

Go back to 10.7.1 from 11.0.2 on ML

I never updated iTunes on my MBP and fired it up the other day and realized how much I missed decent-sized album art and could also appreciate how one could miss the cover view.

So how do I go back to 10.7.1? Better question, can I? Has 11.x done anything to my iTunes library files that makes going back impossible. (I've bought and downloaded things since then.)

If there's no compatibility issue, then what path to follow. I've got time machine backups going all the way to Aug 2011. Do I just restore the iTunes.app file or is there more to it than that? Or is there some place I can download an install .dmg for 10.7.1 and just install over 11.x? Or do I have to toss 11.x into the trash first?

And if I can get back, then am I hosed from an App store standpoint, in that will he recognize that I "need" to now upgrade again to 11.0.2, or does that process get screwed up. I don't want to do anything that will upset the normal software update checking processes.

I guess I'm thinking about this from a windows standpoint, where he would install in dozens of different locations and there were registry database entry considerations and all that. Is it easier under Mountain Lion? I don't feel a great need to go back to 10.7.1 (11.x does work), but I think I'd like to.

Thanks in advance for any help.
wgnoyes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:47 PM   #2
carboncocoa
macrumors member

Keep in mind that all iTunes database files (located in ~/Music/iTunes) are updated with each version of iTunes, so I'm not quite sure about the success rate of restoring those. Maybe some clever XML voodooists among us know some tricks.

Of course, you could rebuild your iTunes database with a previous version of iTunes, but you'll lose iTunes-specific metadata like ratings. Another thing you'll likely lose is any info unique to the Sort tab when you get info on a media file within iTunes.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the Sort info.
carboncocoa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:00 AM   #3
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Follow these steps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BpWzUsasEo

I know in windows iTunes will make a backup copy of the iTunes library from the previous version when you upgrade..pretty sure the same thing applies with Macs.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod