Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:45 PM   #1
britneyfan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Does Apple usually replace iPad 3's with iPad 4's?

I have a 64 GB Verizon 3rd gen and I was wondering if they've been known to swap it out for a 4th gen?

Just wondering... not that I really want one.
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I'm sure they have piles of iPad 3's
thadoggfather is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:23 AM   #3
malachiman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Zealand
Our iPad 3 was replaced with a 4 the other week.
malachiman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:07 AM   #4
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachiman View Post
Our iPad 3 was replaced with a 4 the other week.
was there an ongoing problem with the iPad 3?
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:52 AM   #5
zooby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachiman View Post
Our iPad 3 was replaced with a 4 the other week.
No way they did that. They're not allowed to do that as they have to *exchange* your product for the same one (hence why they ask for your serial number).
zooby is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:01 AM   #6
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
What is with the sense of entitlement some seem to have around here? People expect Apple to just upgrade users to the latest version for free?
iEvolution is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:42 AM   #7
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
What is with the sense of entitlement some seem to have around here? People expect Apple to just upgrade users to the latest version for free?
I think it would be refreshing to zip it with the holier than thou "entitlement" rant that's been rehashed to a point of exhaustion by many, many, many users on this forum. Be your own person. Hell, even use a synonym.

Did I say anything about wanting one? No. I was just wondering. Do I feel "entitled" to one? No.
Did I say, "I should get one because apple HAS to?" Absolutely not. Are you overreacting? Probably.

I was wondering what they do, so if I get mine replaced, I'll know if I need to have an extra charger or not. Is that what you wanted to know so that you can sleep better at night knowing that Apple, a multi-billion dollar business, will save $600 (and probably not even close to that)?

And it actually has happened, believe it or not, judging from the many posts on this forum.

I'm not just singling you out, it's a ton of people on here who are so quick to attack about a sense of "entitlement" when it's unwarranted.
britneyfan is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:10 PM   #8
cbflip2000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I also got a 4th gen after swapping a 3rd gen. They didn't have any 3rd gen in stock so i gave my 3rd gen and 30 pin cable and they gave me a 4th gen with a lightning cable. They will only do this if there is no 3rd gen of your particular model in stock. Mine was Verizon 64GB white.
cbflip2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:03 PM   #9
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Verizon 64 white is a more obscure / less popular SKU I'd imagine.

16 wifi-ers I'd say no wayyyyy

Still, that's awesome and I'm happy for ya (if you we're eyeing the ipad 4 all along)
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:43 PM   #10
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneyfan View Post
I have a 64 GB Verizon 3rd gen and I was wondering if they've been known to swap it out for a 4th gen?

Just wondering... not that I really want one.
In general no. Your warranty is like for like. Even when you pay for 'warranty' repairs its still like for like

On a rare occasion when they are low in parts they will allow managers to make the call to upgrade you for that repair rather than make you wait for a replacement of the correct item. But if you bring that item in later you could be reverted back to the original model
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
RedOrchestra
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Judging by the OP's response to IEvolution on entitlement - yep the OP is feeling entitled and is checking around to see if in fact 4s are given as replacements for 3s. OPs wording is clear.
RedOrchestra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:50 PM   #12
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOrchestra View Post
Judging by the OP's response to IEvolution on entitlement - yep the OP is feeling entitled and is checking around to see if in fact 4s are given as replacements for 3s. OPs wording is clear.
Even if I did feel entitled, it's nothing for you to worry about and I wouldn't learn a lesson from the response you just gave.

Do you have anything more constructive to do than sit around an Internet forum trying to judge whether or not someone feels "entitled" or not?

I'm also surprised that you're able to judge how I feel over plain text. That's a wonder. Where's there an opening for a job as an Internet psychologist? Because a bunch of people on MacRumors certainly can fill that position and monetize their time.

By the way, if I ever wanted an iPad 4, my 3rd gen would be sold, shipped, and the money would be in my hand getting ready to purchase the 4th.

Last edited by britneyfan; Mar 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
britneyfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:20 AM   #13
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
In general no. Your warranty is like for like.
I think only on rare occasions that this wouldn't be the case.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:32 AM   #14
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I think only on rare occasions that this wouldn't be the case.
Very nice response by the both of you. It's what I needed to know.

Thank you all. I appreciate the help.
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneyfan View Post
I think it would be refreshing to zip it with the holier than thou "entitlement" rant that's been rehashed to a point of exhaustion by many, many, many users on this forum. Be your own person. Hell, even use a synonym.

Did I say anything about wanting one? No. I was just wondering. Do I feel "entitled" to one? No.
Did I say, "I should get one because apple HAS to?" Absolutely not. Are you overreacting? Probably.

I was wondering what they do, so if I get mine replaced, I'll know if I need to have an extra charger or not. Is that what you wanted to know so that you can sleep better at night knowing that Apple, a multi-billion dollar business, will save $600 (and probably not even close to that)?

And it actually has happened, believe it or not, judging from the many posts on this forum.

I'm not just singling you out, it's a ton of people on here who are so quick to attack about a sense of "entitlement" when it's unwarranted.
I'm sure if they swapped every ipad 3 for an ipad 4, they'd lose alot more than 600$.
Samtb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:12 AM   #16
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I'm sure if they swapped every ipad 3 for an ipad 4, they'd lose alot more than 600$.
How so?
Generally it costs $350 to make an iPad. Add all the extra internals that I paid for and the Apple Care that I paid for, will maybe come up to $550.
I paid over $1000 altogether for this iPad.

And if they were to give me a 4th gen, the only thing different is the processor. Which I'm sure doesn't cost more than $100.

And who mentioned EVERY iPad 3?
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:24 AM   #17
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Well I just had to shell out money to upgrade to iPad 4. If you get a free upgrade to the 4 I'm going to file a complaint with my state representative.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:49 AM   #18
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneyfan View Post
How so?
Generally it costs $350 to make an iPad. Add all the extra internals that I paid for and the Apple Care that I paid for, will maybe come up to $550.
I paid over $1000 altogether for this iPad.

And if they were to give me a 4th gen, the only thing different is the processor. Which I'm sure doesn't cost more than $100.

And who mentioned EVERY iPad 3?
If they swap one persons ipad 3 for an ipad 4, it won't stop there. More people will demand an ipad 4 for their ipad 3.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:57 AM   #19
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
If they swap one persons ipad 3 for an ipad 4, it won't stop there. More people will demand an ipad 4 for their ipad 3.
They already have done that because of stock issues. And I hope most people understand that they don't deserve an iPad 4, as they bought a 3rd gen.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Well I just had to shell out money to upgrade to iPad 4. If you get a free upgrade to the 4 I'm going to file a complaint with my state representative.
That doesn't sound right.
Explain the situation.
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by britneyfan View Post
That doesn't sound right.
Explain the situation.
What doesn't sound right? Most people have to spend money to upgrade to the latest device. I returned the iPad mini within the 14 day period after I bought it, and paid the $180 difference to upgrade to the iPad 4.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:02 PM   #21
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Good luck arguing that one

Just because they make exceptions doesn't make that the rule.
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:28 PM   #22
iDuel
macrumors 6502a
 
iDuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I believe there was a point where some Apple Stores in the US were swapping 3rd gens for 4th gens as long as you purchased it within 30 days.
iDuel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:31 PM   #23
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Yep I remember hearing about that as well
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:36 PM   #24
britneyfan
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
What doesn't sound right? Most people have to spend money to upgrade to the latest device. I returned the iPad mini within the 14 day period after I bought it, and paid the $180 difference to upgrade to the iPad 4.
That's a completely different (and fair) situation.
britneyfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:36 PM   #25
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
they have massive stockpiles of iPad 3's - don't worry, you will never get an iPad 4 instead of an iPad 3 replacement
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Apple needs to step up the functionality of the iPad so it can replace the MacBook Aluminum213 iPad 13 Nov 7, 2013 04:37 PM
Will Apple Replace my iPad 3 for a home button issue if... aheying7 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 17 Jun 21, 2013 06:55 PM
All iPads: Will Apple replace my iPad? cnguyen0320 iPad 8 Feb 18, 2013 10:52 AM
iPad: Will Apple replace this iPad? ck270 iPad 10 Jan 14, 2013 01:23 PM
Broken new ipad, will apple replace it? brun019822 iPad 4 Jun 6, 2012 12:30 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC