Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
awegew
macrumors newbie

Login with email instead of username

Was I doing something wrong today or is it not possible to login with your email here? It has to be a unique identifier as part of the setup. Can I login with that instead of my username?
awegew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:21 AM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604

I think you're only able to login with your username.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:28 AM   #3
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by awegew View Post
Was I doing something wrong today or is it not possible to login with your email here? It has to be a unique identifier as part of the setup. Can I login with that instead of my username?
Only usernames are supported for a login credential, not email addresses.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:24 AM   #4
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Your username is separate to your email address used to sign up, and your email address will not work.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:45 PM   #5
awegew
macrumors newbie

Is there any particular rationale for this? I mean I log into iCloud, google, yahoo, my bank, facebook, etc with my email. It's a required unique identifier that is used to create an account here. It makes absolutely no sense that you would require people to login with a second abstract string that they're prone to forget such as what I just did.

Had I not made this thread, I'd be trying to figure out how to track down what my username was.
awegew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Is there any particular rationale for this? I mean I log into iCloud, google, yahoo, my bank, facebook, etc with my email. It's a required unique identifier that is used to create an account here. It makes absolutely no sense that you would require people to login with a second abstract string that they're prone to forget such as what I just did.

Had I not made this thread, I'd be trying to figure out how to track down what my username was.
It's how the software was designed. I believe the rationale was because the software was originally built with the option to allow multiple people with the same email. Of course, your username is shown in the upper right hand corner of every page, and there is a forgot password form which will email you referring you to by your username.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:01 PM   #7
SandboxGeneral

Quote:

I don't know for sure, but I have to assume that it's just how vbulletin works. You should consider using a password manager like LastPass or 1password. Then you won't have to try and remember everything.
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback